Author Topic: Most dominant HW champion Ever - Wladimir Klitschko Retires  (Read 3754 times)

Most dominant HW champion Ever - Wladimir Klitschko Retires
« on: August 03, 2017, 03:47:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Klitschko was 64-5 with 54 knockouts.  He was a major belt champion from 2006 to 2015 which is second only to Joe Louis, however Klitschko has more title fights in his run than Louis did.  That was Klitschko's second run as major belt champion as he was also the champ from 2000 to 2003.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Most dominant HW champion Ever - Wladimir Klitschko Retires
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 03:52:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Klitschko was 64-5 with 54 knockouts.  He was a major belt champion from 2006 to 2015 which is second only to Joe Louis, however Klitschko has more title fights in his run than Louis did.  That was Klitschko's second run as major belt champion as he was also the champ from 2000 to 2003.
The heavyweight division of boxing has been a complete joke during Klischko's reign as champion. Ali's and Louis' reign's as champs were more impressive given the level of competition they faced. I think that makes both of them arguably more dominant champions in the heavyweight division. Heck, Tyson may have been more dominant.

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 04:06:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
The heavyweight division of boxing has been a complete joke during Klischko's reign as champion. Ali's and Louis' reign's as champs were more impressive given the level of competition they faced. I think that makes both of them arguably more dominant champions in the heavyweight division. Heck, Tyson may have been more dominant.
you can only be measured by your actual competition when measuring dominance.  Now sure you could argue any number of boxers were better than Klitschko, but none were more dominant.

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 04:18:27 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
you can only be measured by your actual competition when measuring dominance.  Now sure you could argue any number of boxers were better than Klitschko, but none were more dominant.

This is absolutely untrue. "Dominance" isn't a fact, it's a matter of how you justify it. You're confusing the two and then trying to cherry pick a very limited data set to equate them. It's also quite funny how you say that "you can only be measured by your actual competition" yet you proceed to measure Wlad against everyone in history and thus fighters who weren't his competition.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Larry Holmes - Ali's former sparring partner - had more consecutive title defenses. Louis' reign lasted for much longer AND had more title fights than Wlad's run. His brother Vitali was probably the better fighter. In my opinion, you can't consider anyone the "most dominant of all time" when they refused to fight the unquestionable best contender of their time.

I like Wlad. I thought he was a great fighter and an all-around good human being. But I'm not convinced he was better than Lewis who isn't in my top 8 heavyweights.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 08:32:00 AM by Granath »
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 04:30:27 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
When evaluating Klitschko's dominance, don't forget that he had committed to never fight his brother, who held the WBC title simultaneously for multiple years.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 08:44:19 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

This is absolutely untrue. "Dominance" isn't a fact, it's a matter of how you justify it. You're confusing the two and then trying to cherry pick a very limited data set to equate them. It's also quite funny how you say that "you can only be measured by your actual competition" yet you proceed to measure Wlad against everyone in history and thus fighters who weren't his competition.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Larry Holmes - Ali's former sparring partner - had more consecutive title defenses. Louis' reign lasted for much longer AND had more title fights than Wlad's run. His brother Vitali was probably the better fighter. In my opinion, you can't consider anyone the "most dominant of all time" when they refused to fight the unquestionable best contender of their time.

I like Wlad. I thought he was a great fighter and an all-around good human being. But I'm not convinced he was better than Lewis who isn't in my top 8 heavyweights.
Wlad had more title fights and more title wins then Louis if you count all of Wlad's title fights (and not just his long unbeaten streak). 

And I didn't measure Wlad against other HW's, only Wlad's dominance vs. other HW's dominance.  Dominance is directly in relation to competition.  Wlad dominated his competition.

And Holmes, refused to fight the #1 contender and got stripped of the WBC title.  Yet you seemingly ignore that but then chide Wlad for not boxing his brother.  Seems to be a bit of a double standard, no?

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 09:06:14 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Vitali was the best.

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 09:58:40 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
This title is doing a disservice to an otherwise good thread.

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 10:19:11 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Completely agree.

He was a great fighter, and is certainly a legend of the sport, but to say he's the most dominant HW champion ever is a stretch.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 10:45:24 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I liked Wladimir Klitschko as a boxer, and wish him well with his retirement. However, his brother Vitali was probably the better "Heavyweight" boxer, as he was never afraid to get hit. Wladimir, for as good as he was, unfortunately had a glass chin. Wladimir somehow was able to avoid Lennox Lewis during his time. I remember Vitali going against Lewis, with Vitali winning most of the fight until the doctors stopped it due to Vitali's eye. For as much as I liked Wladimir, he never beat "the man" to win his championship. Yes he won titles, but the guys he beat for those championships (Wladimir's non-title defenses), were pretty much one and done guys. Just to prove how weak the heavyweight division was during Wladimir's time, even Roy Jones Jr became a heavyweight and managed to win a title.

I love boxing, and am still waiting for the heavyweight division to become relevant again. Speaking of boxing, am I the only person with zero interest in the Mayweather vs McGregor fight? Everyone involved should be embarrassed, as it is a glorified exhibition. It reminds me of Rocky IV, where a washed up Creed fights Ivan Drago.

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 10:52:04 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Completely agree.

He was a great fighter, and is certainly a legend of the sport, but to say he's the most dominant HW champion ever is a stretch.

Yeah, what a joke.

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 11:16:49 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I liked Wladimir Klitschko as a boxer, and wish him well with his retirement. However, his brother Vitali was probably the better "Heavyweight" boxer, as he was never afraid to get hit. Wladimir, for as good as he was, unfortunately had a glass chin. Wladimir somehow was able to avoid Lennox Lewis during his time. I remember Vitali going against Lewis, with Vitali winning most of the fight until the doctors stopped it due to Vitali's eye. For as much as I liked Wladimir, he never beat "the man" to win his championship. Yes he won titles, but the guys he beat for those championships (Wladimir's non-title defenses), were pretty much one and done guys. Just to prove how weak the heavyweight division was during Wladimir's time, even Roy Jones Jr became a heavyweight and managed to win a title.

I love boxing, and am still waiting for the heavyweight division to become relevant again. Speaking of boxing, am I the only person with zero interest in the Mayweather vs McGregor fight? Everyone involved should be embarrassed, as it is a glorified exhibition. It reminds me of Rocky IV, where a washed up Creed fights Ivan Drago.
Agree with all you said. TP.

Also couldn't care less about the Mayweather v McGregor bout. Both due to how silly it is, and how I think Mayweather will absolutely dominate him. McGregor's level of boxing isn't even standout for an MMA fighter (like a Masvidal, Holm, Tumenov, or others), so I doubt he will even get close to Floyd.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 11:24:32 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Speaking of boxing, am I the only person with zero interest in the Mayweather vs McGregor fight? Everyone involved should be embarrassed, as it is a glorified exhibition. It reminds me of Rocky IV, where a washed up Creed fights Ivan Drago.
speaking of Rocky IV, apparently in Creed 2, Adonis Johnson (i.e. Creed's son) fights Drago's son.  Rocky and Drago apparently get into it a bit as well. 

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 12:16:14 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Speaking of boxing, am I the only person with zero interest in the Mayweather vs McGregor fight? Everyone involved should be embarrassed, as it is a glorified exhibition. It reminds me of Rocky IV, where a washed up Creed fights Ivan Drago.
speaking of Rocky IV, apparently in Creed 2, Adonis Johnson (i.e. Creed's son) fights Drago's son.  Rocky and Drago apparently get into it a bit as well.
I didn't even know there was going to be a Creed 2.  Wow, that sounds pretty good.