Author Topic: Projected wins for 2017-18 (Pelton)  (Read 4204 times)

Re: Projected wins for 2017-18 (Pelton)
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 01:10:03 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20225286/projected-records-win-totals-standings-every-nba-team-2017-18-season

Those of interest to us:

Celtics - 49.4
Lakers - 33.0
Nets - 29.4

This is a serious glass of cold water on our heads... :(

He probably got all the playoff teams right but the win projections are awful in my opinion. In the end who cares, all that matters is the actual W-L on the court, not the numbers that pop out of Pelton's computer. 3rd worst defensive team (as he projects the Lakers to be) average around 24 wins the last 10 years. He has them winning 33 with only an average offense. Seems questionable.

Nets projection is absurd. 9 wins better than Vegas. Puuuleeeze

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 01:11:32 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20225286/projected-records-win-totals-standings-every-nba-team-2017-18-season

Those of interest to us:

Celtics - 49.4
Lakers - 33.0
Nets - 29.4

He probably got all the playoff teams right but the win projections are awful in my opinion. In the end who cares, all that matters is the actual W-L on the court, not the numbers that pop out of Pelton's computer. 3rd worst defensive team (as he projects the Lakers to be) average around 24 wins the last 10 years. He has them winning 33 with only an average offense. Seems questionable.

I actually could see the Nets get to 29 wins.  I really don't think they are as bad as Vegas projects them to be. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2017, 01:13:20 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Those of interest to us:

Celtics - 49.4
Lakers - 33.0
Nets - 29.4

I actually could see the Nets get to 29 wins.  I really don't think they are as bad as Vegas projects them to be.

You see them winning 9 more games than last year after trading away their best player?? Wut..

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2017, 02:00:43 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Those of interest to us:

Celtics - 49.4
Lakers - 33.0
Nets - 29.4

You see them winning 9 more games than last year after trading away their best player?? Wut..

They didn't lose him outright - they still added talent. Jeremy Lin should be 100%. Personally, I still think D'Angelo Russell has great upside. Pair him with Kenny Atkinson - a coach known and respected for his player development - and he'll have ample opportunity to be an All-Star. Allen Crabbe - even as overpaid as he is - fits their system pretty well. Mozgov and Carroll won't be counted on to fill big roles as they were in LA and Toronto respectively, any contributions they can muster are gravy.

No, they're still not a playoff team. Nowhere near it. But they're a better overall team than they were last season.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2017, 02:08:03 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I would be willing to wager that we have more wins than the Nets and Lakers combined.

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2017, 02:19:09 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Those of interest to us:

Celtics - 49.4
Lakers - 33.0
Nets - 29.4

They didn't lose him outright - they still added talent. Jeremy Lin should be 100%. Personally, I still think D'Angelo Russell has great upside. Pair him with Kenny Atkinson - a coach known and respected for his player development - and he'll have ample opportunity to be an All-Star. Allen Crabbe - even as overpaid as he is - fits their system pretty well. Mozgov and Carroll won't be counted on to fill big roles as they were in LA and Toronto respectively, any contributions they can muster are gravy.

No, they're still not a playoff team. Nowhere near it. But they're a better overall team than they were last season.
Yeah that is where I'm at.  They lack size, but they are pretty deep with quality wings and they should be able to run up and down the floor.  I think they will get a number of wins just by out running people. 

And the thing about Lopez, he is a great offensive player, but does almost nothing else.  I don't think he really positively affects wins at all.  He is a sieve defensively, is a terrible rebounder, etc.  They might actually be better just by removing him from their team overall.

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2017, 02:24:40 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Those of interest to us:

Celtics - 49.4
Lakers - 33.0
Nets - 29.4

What exactly is the Nets' system?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2017, 02:43:37 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

They want to run and bomb away from 3-point range.
Only Houston generated more open 3s than Brooklyn's go-go offense last season, per NBA.com. The Nets hit just 35 percent, fifth worst in the league.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20221667/zach-lowe-brooklyn-nets-dangelo-russell-sean-marks-nba

To my point, Allen Crabbe shot 44% from 3 last season, and has a career average of 41%.

I know people like to mock them because it's fun, but Atkinson and Marks are trying to instill a culture. Billy King is gone, guys.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2017, 03:03:33 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Only Houston generated more open 3s than Brooklyn's go-go offense last season, per NBA.com. The Nets hit just 35 percent, fifth worst in the league.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20221667/zach-lowe-brooklyn-nets-dangelo-russell-sean-marks-nba

To my point, Allen Crabbe shot 44% from 3 last season, and has a career average of 41%.

I know people like to mock them because it's fun, but Atkinson and Marks are trying to instill a culture. Billy King is gone, guys.

I don't watch their games, unaware of their direction.  Crabbe is legit offensively.  You're quick to jump to conclusions -- Idk where you saw mocking in my question. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2017, 03:05:33 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Those of interest to us:

Celtics - 49.4
Lakers - 33.0
Nets - 29.4

Crabbe only has a high 3P% because he hardly ever shoots the ball, if his volume increases in the Nets "system". then his % will decrease. People talk about Crabbe as if he's Ray Allen or something lol, the guy is a scrub who is on the Nets because no one else wanted him. DLo "led" the Lakers to their 2 worst seasons ever, I'm sure he's going to really turn things around there in Brooktown!!! Mozgov won't be counted on for a big role???!!! He's their only guy over 6'9". He IS their frontcourt for the love of god..

Nets are T-R-A-S-H..

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2017, 03:14:07 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I don't watch their games, unaware of their direction.  Crabbe is legit offensively.  You're quick to jump to conclusions -- Idk where you saw mocking in my question.

Apologies if I came off defensively, but just look the post above this one. It's kind of hard to have insightful discussions here.

Crabbe only has a high 3P% because he hardly ever shoots the ball, if his volume increases in the Nets "system". then his % will decrease. People talk about Crabbe as if he's Ray Allen or something lol

If you could show me where I compared him to Ray Allen, I'd 'preciate it. And his 3.8 attempts per game were comparable to Khris Middleton, Goran Dragic, and Joe Ingles.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 03:24:41 PM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2017, 03:24:28 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Apologies if I came off defensively, but just look the post above this one. It's kind of hard to have insightful discussions here.

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they lack insight..

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2017, 03:29:39 PM »

Offline unclebay

• NCE
  • Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
Depends on the true health of IT. If we have the IT of last year, teamed with Hayward, and the potentially improving play of Tatum...54-55 wins isn't out of the question. This team is deep, and an improved team from last year IMO.

Without a healthy IT we have a team that again has one player that can consistently find his shot.
54-55 isn't out of the question?.....
Who are y'all and what team are we talking about here?? This team is a shoe in for 57 wins and 60 is the expectation. Outside of their 2 sure fire all stars, their depth and versatility is absurd. Honestly, y'all have been watching too much ESPN.

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2017, 03:34:58 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Those of interest to us:

Celtics - 49.4
Lakers - 33.0
Nets - 29.4

Crabbe only has a high 3P% because he hardly ever shoots the ball, if his volume increases in the Nets "system". then his % will decrease. People talk about Crabbe as if he's Ray Allen or something lol, the guy is a scrub who is on the Nets because no one else wanted him. DLo "led" the Lakers to their 2 worst seasons ever, I'm sure he's going to really turn things around there in Brooktown!!! Mozgov won't be counted on for a big role???!!! He's their only guy over 6'9". He IS their frontcourt for the love of god..

Nets are T-R-A-S-H..
Since when is 3.8 attempts hardly ever shooting the ball.  And Crabbe is on the Nets because Portland was cash strapped and in the tax and has Lillard and McCollum playing ahead of Crabbe on the depth chart (plus Turner).  They don't need 4 guards making 15+ million a year. 

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2017, 03:42:12 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they lack insight..

You sandwiching unfounded opinions in between exclamation points isn't really insight. Again, Crabbe's 3.8 attempts per game from 3 (in 28 minutes per game) is a sound sample size. D'Angelo wasn't the only Laker that suited up the past two years - they were dysfunctional throughout the organization. As far as Mozgov being their only guy over 6'9", so? They want to run anyway, go full bore small-ball. Tyler Zeller was one of the few 7 footers we had last season, we didn't count on him for a large role.
2021 Houston Rockets