Author Topic: Sell Me On Jaylen Brown - The All Star  (Read 5675 times)

Re: Sell Me On Jaylen Brown - The All Star
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2017, 12:00:25 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I would sell you he is not an all star yet.    Look at his summer league performance, good some games and bad the next.   He was all over the place, Tatum was more consistent.
I think Jaylen was using the summer league as a bit of a laboratory. The first game he went hard every possession and tried to murder everyone. After that he was trying out new things a lot and experimenting with his game. In the regular season, he'll be playing more to his strengths and within his role so that'll be very different.
But that's part of the issue isn't it?  We found out that there is a lot of things he does not do well so he has a long way to go.

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2017, 12:37:34 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I played defensive tackle in high school. I had a very defined role, and I did pretty well in that role.

But if for some reason I got to practice with the JV squad, you know I'm asking the coach to play halfback or fullback.

I think effectively, that's what summer league was for Jaylen.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2017, 12:57:10 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
The guy had a pretty outstanding Rookie season for what was asked of him..  He showed Vast improvements from Summer league to the last game of the Season (5 games into the Eastern Conf finals)  He is learning the game in the same fashion Kawhi Leaonard did.. (and the coaches are very similar in their approach.) 

Remember KL also had a shakey handle when he came into the league.

Brown has things you cant teach -  Quick Twitch,  Elite NBA length, and a great motor.  His jump shot was actually solid...  Did he hit the Rookie wall last year - YES..  but he was a rookie

He has also shown himself to be a leader where he should be - Outside the court with the younger players..  No way was he coming into A 50+ win locker room with AL, IT, Bradley and Smart and start throwing around high draft alpha weight.  He earned everything.

And last and the most important... The kid is a worker.  People who work usually reach their goals.. He will be an Alstar  (and Yes its possible that Tatum can be  better but that does not mean Brown cant be great)

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2017, 07:53:46 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
Like I said, there's aspects of his game that I like: he's an elite athlete, his work ethic seems to be there, and he's always had an NBA-ready body, but I don't see the basketball skills yet.

I'm less interested in All-Star appearances, and more interested in how a player helps the team win. While I think that Jaylen has plenty of All-Star potential, what I'm really going to address here is what he does for the team.

First, about an area that seldom contributes much to All-Star selection: Jaylen Brown is a man who was made to play NBA defense.  He got thrown into the fire last season, and got a ton of developmental minutes guarding a wide range of players. Tremendous credit goes to Brad Stevens for his patience and foresight, which paid off in the post-season.

He is clearly the successor to Avery Bradley; and given Stevens' track record, I'd predict that Jaylen will be the starter for most of the year - probably on opening day. As a defender, Brown has the advantage over AB of size and length, and therefore of versatility. Boston for the last couple of years has had the smallest backcourt in the league - no more. 

Going forward, Jaylen has terrific anticipation and an instinct for the open space; outstanding laterals, super-quick shoulders (leading to steals and deflections; and he has some of the best hands in the game - fine motor skills aren't usually considered as part of "athletic", but Jaylen makes the case that they should be...).

On offense as a rookie, he was already achieving some impressive results. Since he'll have the ball in his hands often; since he'll be driving into the paint; since he'll be making plays for others (not Avery Bradley's game, needless to say) - what kinds of results was he getting at those things?

First of all, he shot .614 at the rim. Well done.  He's concentrated, finishes through contact, and is a gifted improviser. He'll, predictably, have a lot of circus finishes in his future; and he gets to the line.

He had a free-throw rate of .293 FT attempts per FG attempt - that's an outstanding number for a rookie; getting respect from the referees is critical. Now he has to improve his C-minus free throw shooting. His mechanics are beautiful - he just needs reps. Needs to shoot 80%!

What about turnovers? If your game is to the hole, the chances for mistakes are exponentially bigger. How did he do? The best response, I think, is cautious optimism; at any rate he was no turnover machine (12.5%; by the way Isaiah's amazing 10.7% is an unappreciated part of his game). That's pretty good, given the high-risk nature of his game. We'll see if he can maintain or better that as his responsibility ramps up this season.

Jaylen has the reputation around here with some posters of being a poor ball-handler, but I think that that doesn't fit the case, even as it is based in a real observation: actually, he's a brilliant ballhandler who gets ahead of himself and does too much, and needs to, in Jeff Van Gundy's words, "tighten up."

What about assists? We saw some brilliant ones from him this past season, but the total picture was very unimpressive: 7.2% would be a great year for Aron Baynes, but... This is THE critical area for his growth, and what we saw in Utah/Vegas was ample reason for optimism - first of all that it was a priority, second that he made simple plays, and third that he clearly sees his leadership as including getting the whole team involved.

I mentioned his leadership - off the charts.

It's widely recognized that distance shooting opens up the drive; and here, too, the results were excellent, especially for a rookie: .341 for the year is decent, effective - but note that he shot .379 after the All-Star break, and .404 as a starter.

The midrange shooting was poor.  If he's going to have the ball more, he'll wind up getting a fair number of those shots. In Summer League he had no trouble creating open midrange jumpers - typically for him, off a wide variety of moves - but in the games I saw, the harvest was small.

I wouldn't bet that Brown will ever lead the team in scoring, but it's only a part of a very well-rounded game. Perhaps that will hurt his All-Star chances.  I have to say that I haven't even watched the All-Star game in years, so little it has to do with the real game of basketball played at the highest level. Jaylen Brown has the tools, the mentality, the dedication to be one of the top players in the game.  His leadership will emerge this year as he gets the ball in his hands and makes things happen.

... I think Jayson Tatum has a chance to be an elite player in this league. I think "star prospect" when I watch him play.

I do, too. And as his game widens out and includes more of the team, the impact on winning will follow.

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2017, 09:02:37 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Jaylen was using the summer league as a bit of a laboratory. The first game he went hard every possession and tried to murder everyone. After that he was trying out new things a lot and experimenting with his game. In the regular season, he'll be playing more to his strengths and within his role so that'll be very different.

I think this is an extremely generous take.   You think he liked being outplayed by a rookie?   I don't.   I think consistency could be an issue for him.   He had some uneven stretches during the season, too.   I like it better when he is attacking.   I think he did better with our starters because it hid his weaknesses and drew attention from him on offense.   

Summer league is a time to experiment but it was pretty clear that the experimenting did not work out well.  I hope we see more of the murder everyone every possession because that is what we need more of to beat the CLE and GS of the leagues.

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2017, 09:16:55 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

I think this is an extremely generous take.   You think he liked being outplayed by a rookie?   I don't.   I think consistency could be an issue for him.   He had some uneven stretches during the season, too.   I like it better when he is attacking.   I think he did better with our starters because it hid his weaknesses and drew attention from him on offense.   

Summer league is a time to experiment but it was pretty clear that the experimenting did not work out well.  I hope we see more of the murder everyone every possession because that is what we need more of to beat the CLE and GS of the leagues.

In general, I agree with this. The "experiment" thing is not just up to the player, though. Sometimes coaching staff have a player work on something, or set of things, specific to that player. I didn't see enough of Brown in summer league to know if this was the case or not.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2017, 09:21:56 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
I would sell you he is not an all star yet.    Look at his summer league performance, good some games and bad the next.   He was all over the place, Tatum was more consistent.
I think Jaylen was using the summer league as a bit of a laboratory. The first game he went hard every possession and tried to murder everyone. After that he was trying out new things a lot and experimenting with his game.

Yes, clearly. Lead ballhandler, getting his teammates involved, shooting off the dribble, developing a midrange game - expanding his game to become more of a scorer.

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2017, 08:39:12 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Alright RJ87. Since I'm the first who said Jaylen would be an All-Star and it's been in my sig since he was drafted, let me help answer your question. I think some people are down on Brown because of his SL. I have an easy response to that:

29/13

That was Jaylen's line from the first Summer League game - the only one where he played in position and purposely limited his role. That was one of the most impressive stat lines from anyone in SL in any game. When everyone focused on the Tatum v Fultz matchup, it was Brown who showed that he was better than both. He looked like a man among boys. That's who he is right now and that's more than enough to be excited about his future.

So let me ask you this - if Brown averaged 25/9 in his SL games because he stuck to what he's good at, how would you feel about his potential? I know many people at CB would be drooling over him and the mood would be considerably more positive. Yet he didn't put those numbers up for a reason. In every other game in SL he worked on things that he wasn't good at. Ball handling. Running the offense. Shooting from uncomfortable spots. That's what he said he was going to do and he did it. Sure, he looked downright bad at times. But he worked on things in game situations that he knew he wasn't good at. That's the hallmark of a good player and Brown took it to another level. Good players work on their weaknesses but most do it privately. Brown isn't afraid to admit his weaknesses and he's not afraid to put those on public display. I think he believes that he'll improve those skills and everyone will see how far he's come.

Players with his athleticism, maturity and work ethic rarely fail. He went into Ainge's office right after the season and told Danny "I'm playing this Summer". As Ainge said, "He emphasized the point of now. He doesn’t want us thinking he’s two or three years away. He wants to be included in our plans this very minute. Of course he is, but it just tells you a little bit about Jaylen. He wants to be great.” Guys at 20 years old don't do that. They whine about playing time. Jaylen said he was going to earn it.

I can't fault anyone for picking holes in his game (except the BBIQ thing - Jaylen's is fine). Yes, he needs to work on his handle. He needs to work on his positioning. He needs to work on driving the lane. But looking at his game right now, he's a starter for many NBA teams and a high backup for others. He can shoot the 3, run the floor and plays good enough defense that JJ Reddick said, "A guy who did a great job last year was Jaylen Brown...he just did a great job of sticking with me. He has the length, he's strong, and he's athletic." That's not bad for a player of his age.

To be an All-Star, he'll have to improve his game. But unlike so many young kids, he's not afraid to admit them and work on them. “I still have things, there are still nuances to that side of the game that I’m still working on,” Brown said.  “So being a ball handler, creating for others, running the team, being a leader, that type of stuff is going to help me in the long run, and that’s the type of stuff I was trying to excel at and work on in summer league.” When a guy of his physical skills and mental attitude approaches a problem like that, they don't fail too often.

What it boils down to is that I see enough to know he's currently an NBA-caliber player right now. I see the work ethic and the maturity to believe that he knows what he needs to do - and is willing to do it - to get to that All Star level.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2017, 09:00:12 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Great post, Granath.  The only thing I would suggest is that I bet Stevens told him to work on the skills necessary to be a shooting guard.  I really doubt they have no input at all.  It will be very interesting to see the lineups Stevens will put out there.