Author Topic: Sell Me On Jaylen Brown - The All Star  (Read 5678 times)

Sell Me On Jaylen Brown - The All Star
« on: August 02, 2017, 06:11:51 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Don't get me wrong, I like Jaylen Brown. I think he'll be a perfectly fine rotation player when it's all said and done. But posters around here seem to love him. I've seen people claim he can be an All-Star as soon as next season. I'm missing the boat.

Like I said, there's aspects of his game that I like: he's an elite athlete, his work ethic seems to be there, and he's always had an NBA-ready body, but I don't see the basketball skills yet. On the contrary, I think Jayson Tatum has a chance to be an elite player in this league. I think "star prospect" when I watch him play.

So, what am I missing? What is it about Jaylens' game that makes you think he can be an All Star?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Re: Sell Me On Jaylen Brown - The All Star
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 06:21:54 PM »

Offline MVPPierceNoJoke

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
My best case senario for Brown this season is Golden State Harrison Barnes. He will probably be given a chance to be a starter, play within the system off of IT and Hayward, take the open shots, and play good perimeter defense. If he does all that I cannot complain. I am optimistic he will forfil that role.

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 06:24:36 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I think Jaylen is alot more skilled than he is given credit for.

He has great form on his jumper, especially since he has been working on it this off season to be quicker and more compact.  He even shot a nice percentage from three post all-star break last year.  He honestly might be a better three point shooter than Tatum.

Jaylen also has a sick post game for a 20 year old wing.  Brad routinely ran plays for Jaylen to post up, even in the playoffs.  In the post, he displayed great footwork, an exciting array of fade away jumpers, and nice craftiness for a young player.

He also has the speed and the shiftiness to get by people once his handle tightens up which may be his biggest weakness.  He also was pretty bad at finishing at the rim early in the season, but got better as the year went on.

He is a good one-on-one defender (pretty bad team defender) but has the tools and  coaching staff to fix that issue.

Jaylen showed the ability to guard 1 through 3, and play at either wings spot offensively.  He was actually a pretty good playmaker in highschool, and had some sweet drop off passes every now and then.

I think his pace is a little out of control at times and his handle needs some work but he showed flashes in a bunch of different areas.

Add all of that with quick twitch athleticism, a good organizational culture, a good head on his shoulders, and work ethic, it is pretty easy to see why everyone's excited. 

He legitimately contributed for a team that was a number one seed and might even start on a 60 win team this year.  I like him better than Ingram personally.

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 06:24:47 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1672
It's what you said - he has tremendous physical tools and a great work ethic.  If he does become a star, it's because his skill level and BBIQ caught up with his tools.

I think there's almost no chance that happens this year.  But I do think he has a star-level ceiling.

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 06:35:06 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
My best case senario for Brown this season is Golden State Harrison Barnes.

That might be one of the better comparisons I've seen for him. I'd be okay with that.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 06:38:14 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
It's what you said - he has tremendous physical tools and a great work ethic.  If he does become a star, it's because his skill level and BBIQ caught up with his tools.

How often does that really happen, though? Maybe that's why I'm only so-so on his ceiling.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 06:40:38 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Unfortunately, I cannot sell you on Jaylen Brown the all-star.  His potential is vastly overrated around here.  This is not to say that it is impossible for Brown to become an all-star of course.  But he's got some holes to patch and they aren't just due to youth.  His feel for the game is below average.  His shot needs work but I think there is promise.  His handles need work, which are more difficult to improve.  He has the ability to get open shots, but he needs to develop some go to moves.  Much of the time he's just ad libbing, which get's him out of control.

Am I being harsh?  Perhaps a little bit but we're talking about Jaylen the all-star.  I think he'll be a fine player but an all-star?  I simply would not out too much up in that kind of bet.

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 06:44:10 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
He makes amazing shots, and he is only a pup.

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 06:53:59 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Unfortunately, I cannot sell you on Jaylen Brown the all-star.  His potential is vastly overrated around here.  This is not to say that it is impossible for Brown to become an all-star of course.  But he's got some holes to patch and they aren't just due to youth.  His feel for the game is below average.  His shot needs work but I think there is promise.  His handles need work, which are more difficult to improve.  He has the ability to get open shots, but he needs to develop some go to moves.  Much of the time he's just ad libbing, which get's him out of control.

Am I being harsh?  Perhaps a little bit but we're talking about Jaylen the all-star.  I think he'll be a fine player but an all-star?  I simply would not out too much up in that kind of bet.

I don't think you're being harsh - I largely agree with this assessment. He's an athletic player that can give you the occasional highlight, but I don't trust him to handle the ball for than a few seconds because 1.) he handles are subpar and 2.) he doesn't read the play well. On the defensive end, he has a tendency to zone out and ball watch. Again, that may very well improve has he gets older, but BBIQ isn't usually a teachable trait.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 06:59:53 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

How often does that really happen, though? Maybe that's why I'm only so-so on his ceiling.

Jimmy Butler, Paul George are a couple of examples that come to mind.  I think Butler is a very good comp for Brown.

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 07:11:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I can't...not right now

Brown = Iguadala

borderline all star

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 07:12:27 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Jimmy Butler, Paul George are a couple of examples that come to mind.  I think Butler is a very good comp for Brown.

Hmmmm...

Jimmy Butler was thought of as a defensive role player with good intangibles + high intelligence coming out of Marquette.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 07:17:48 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Don't get me wrong, I like Jaylen Brown. I think he'll be a perfectly fine rotation player when it's all said and done. But posters around here seem to love him. I've seen people claim he can be an All-Star as soon as next season. I'm missing the boat.

Like I said, there's aspects of his game that I like: he's an elite athlete, his work ethic seems to be there, and he's always had an NBA-ready body, but I don't see the basketball skills yet. On the contrary, I think Jayson Tatum has a chance to be an elite player in this league. I think "star prospect" when I watch him play.

So, what am I missing? What is it about Jaylens' game that makes you think he can be an All Star?
I'm with you RJ. Speaking of which, I see Jaylen's upside as Richard Jefferson (RJ).  Great athlete, hard worker, good all-around game, maybe 1 or 2 All-Star games, but basically just a very good NBA player.

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 07:23:14 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I'm with you RJ. Speaking of which, I see Jaylen's upside as Richard Jefferson (RJ).  Great athlete, hard worker, good all-around game, maybe an All-Star but basically just a very good NBA player.

I see what you did there.....

I can't...not right now

Brown = Iguadala

borderline all star

I always thought Marcus Smart projected more as an Iguodala-light. A defensive guy who can handle the ball and run the offense a bit, can't shoot but can give you some offense every now and then.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 07:41:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I see a lot of Jimmy Butler in Brown's game. If Brown can clean up his handle, keep his 3 point game in the 35-38% area, keeps cutting and slashing, with and without the ball, refines his post game and fall away jumper and keeps progressing defensively, in 2-3 years, yeah, Jaylen could well be an All-Star quality player. The upside is definitely there.