4 (10.5%)
Myles Turner
0 (0%)
Drummond
0 (0%)
Jokic
2 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: What young big do you build around?  (Read 2561 times)

Re: What young big do you build around?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2017, 07:38:10 AM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
It's KAT for me, too, but only because of the injury concerns with Embiid. If there was some way to look into the future and know that he'd play 80% of his games for the next decade, it would be Embiid in a heartbeat. So I don't think your friend is crazy for thinking that but Towns has shown what he can actually do and it looks ilke he's going to be a monster.
I was only thinking he's crazy due to him saying he'd choose Embiid over anyone, let alone just out of the young bigs.

But I agree, if (a very big one at that) Embiid can stay healthy and get a string of 70+ game seasons going he'll be a nightmare.
If there were some way to take injuries out of the equation (there isn't) I would probably still agree with your friend. A player of that size, with that defensive and offensive ability, athleticism, and at that age is rarer even than Lebron. I'd take a decade of healthy Embiid over a decade of anyone else.

But a healthy Embiid might not exist.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2017, 08:06:23 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Embiid.   A true 2 way dominant center.  The Sixers looked like a completely different team when he was on the court.  Manage his minutes during the regular season and let him loose in the playoffs.  The trend to small ball will just make him more dominant.  Besides his playing ability, Embiid has the personality to be a great team leader on and off the court. 

I find it hard to build around a big that isn't a good defender.  Maybe with the Butler acquisition Towns will start playing some better defense and the TWolves will actually start winning. 

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2017, 08:27:20 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
AD

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2017, 08:33:35 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Embiid
Jokic
KAT
Porzingis
Turner
Drummond
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2017, 08:37:02 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Anthony Davis.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2017, 09:56:35 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
If you look at which of these players have been able to make their team and the other players on their team considerably better, only Embiid and Jokic appear to be able to do that so far.

Obviously, Embiid hasn't proven he can stay on the court. Jokic may be viewed as flawed because he's a mediocre defender, but I'd pick him. I would expect next year Denver will make a major leap.

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2017, 10:15:50 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Embiid
Jokic
KAT
Porzingis
Turner
Drummond

I'd probably swap Jokic and KAT, but otherwise this looks about right.  Drummond is a distant last for me.

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2017, 11:31:50 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Embiid
Jokic
KAT
Porzingis
Turner
Drummond

I'd probably swap Jokic and KAT, but otherwise this looks about right.  Drummond is a distant last for me.
I originally had KAT before Jokic, but thought about it and I think Jokic has more potential to be both an elite offensive player and an elite defensive player, so I went with him of the 2. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2017, 12:43:47 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674
Jokic
KAT
Embiid
Porzingis
Turner
Drummond

You know, I was prepared to list Jokic third because I thought he was a liability defensively.  But statistically he actually grades out well in the measures I've looked up.  Jokic has an ability to make his teammates better that nobody else on this list possesses.  Combine that with his own offensive ability and apparently-better-than-advertised defense, and I'd take him first of the names on this list.

I'd take KAT second.  Very good offensive player, tools to be a very good defensive player. 

Embiid third.  A difference-maker defensively.  Turnover-prone and not as efficient as you'd expect from a seven-footer (below 50% on twos).  Advanced stats are tepid on his offense despite his eye-catching PPG in limited minutes.  Certainly has the talent to improve that though.  But the fact that he has only played 31 games in his career makes it difficult for me to justify placing him above the two guys above. 

Kristaps fourth.  He's a unicorn, but he's not a very good player yet.  This ranking is based on his unique tools. 

---  There's a gap here.  The guys above are players who I believe could be (or already are) stars.  I don't see that ability in the guys below. 

Turner fifth.  Not a big fan; shrank in the playoffs.  Rates well defensively though. 

Drummond sixth.  A detriment on offense. 

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2017, 12:53:28 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
No way you can take Embiid with his injury concerns. Towns is already an All NBA level player. Embiid has the highest ceiling, but is easily the riskiest. You take the sure thing in Towns. Could even argue for Jokic ,Kristaps, or Turner.
That's exactly why I WOULD take him.  Lots of folks voted for KAT and I can understand why.  He was my #1 before Embiid came along.  He won the Skills Competition at the ASG for goodness sakes.  However, his defense is suspect.

To me, it's Embiid, then everybody else, not even that close.  I don't mind taking risks since this is just theoretical.   ;D