Author Topic: Develop younger players or sign proven vets for the minimum?  (Read 7349 times)

Re: Develop younger players or sign proven vets for the minimum?
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2017, 07:09:42 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
You could trade Crowder and keep Marcus if you are worried about tax dollars

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2017, 08:32:10 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
No you can't.  Maxing Thomas alone puts Boston into the tax and trading Crowder to keep Smart won't save dollars it will actually cost more as Smart will get a contract that exceeds 10 million.  This is the exact type of thing I've been talking about for awhile.  If you keep the win now players, you will lose the players that could be solid pieces around the win later players.  KO is already gone.  Smart will be next and that will only continue in the future.  These are the types of things that happen when you try to have your cake and eat it to, and that says nothing for getting the young guys valuable playing time or maximizing their window by creating more assets. 

If the real goal is to win a title with Brown, Tatum, BKN 18, LAL, etc. then Boston should be creating more assets for that group and allowing them to play as many minutes as they can play so they can work through mistakes and what not.  I believe Hayward would fit in well with that group, with his age, talent, and position, but Horford certainly doesn't and I don't think Thomas will either as I expect him to age much faster than Hayward.  Crowder is going to leave when his contract is up as well, so there is no reason not to trade him now while his value is at its peak.  Again, that is if the real goal is to win a title around the young guys.

On the other hand, if the real goal is to try and win a title now with Thomas, Horford, and Hayward, then Boston should absolutely be trading some of the assets now to acquire that player or players that can get Boston into the true contender status.  Unfortunately, Butler and George, two players that could do that, just got traded, so I'm not sure where that next player is coming from and thus I believe Ainge missed his window for going this route.  So he should really be looking to the young core and doing what he can to maximize their window (which is not wasting assets or stunting their development).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2017, 11:43:54 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
No you can't.  Maxing Thomas alone puts Boston into the tax and trading Crowder to keep Smart won't save dollars it will actually cost more as Smart will get a contract that exceeds 10 million.  This is the exact type of thing I've been talking about for awhile.  If you keep the win now players, you will lose the players that could be solid pieces around the win later players.  KO is already gone.  Smart will be next and that will only continue in the future.  These are the types of things that happen when you try to have your cake and eat it to, and that says nothing for getting the young guys valuable playing time or maximizing their window by creating more assets. 

If the real goal is to win a title with Brown, Tatum, BKN 18, LAL, etc. then Boston should be creating more assets for that group and allowing them to play as many minutes as they can play so they can work through mistakes and what not.  I believe Hayward would fit in well with that group, with his age, talent, and position, but Horford certainly doesn't and I don't think Thomas will either as I expect him to age much faster than Hayward.  Crowder is going to leave when his contract is up as well, so there is no reason not to trade him now while his value is at its peak.  Again, that is if the real goal is to win a title around the young guys.

On the other hand, if the real goal is to try and win a title now with Thomas, Horford, and Hayward, then Boston should absolutely be trading some of the assets now to acquire that player or players that can get Boston into the true contender status.  Unfortunately, Butler and George, two players that could do that, just got traded, so I'm not sure where that next player is coming from and thus I believe Ainge missed his window for going this route.  So he should really be looking to the young core and doing what he can to maximize their window (which is not wasting assets or stunting their development).

Ok.. Marcus will cost more than Jae currently costs, agreed. It depends on how far into the tax we would be willing to go and probably depends more on what picks we get this summer. If we are in a position where we would be happy to pay an additional $5m for Smart but he demands $12m then Crowder's contract makes the difference. I would hope that someone has developed to take his spot by then too.

Losing KO was not about choosing win now over youth. KO was a role player and one that wasn't going to be a core piece long or short term. If we let someone of Browns calibre walk I could see your point. As it is, I see us moving the vets as the young guys take their place. Bradley has been moved, Crowder will go next year and guys will play into their spots.
We essentially swapped KO for Hayward, who is only 1 year older. That's an upgrade however you look at it.

Take Horford out, who is playing his minutes? It is not arguable that he makes the guards better players, which helps with their development. Isaiah I can understand more but the only players behind him are Smart and Rozier. Smart gets plenty of minutes so it's only Rozier suffering there. Is that a problem?

Brown (and Tatum etc) will be better players having played with Thomas and Horford and ultimately that's the best way to prepare them for life after those two.

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2017, 11:57:50 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I swear, some "fans" here are only happy when we're losing. 53 wins. ECF. Sign the top FA out there....and some dingbats want to tear the team down to go with a youth movement because they're afraid that having good players in front of highly-rated rookies might hinder their development.

This is like the First World Problems version of the NBA.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2017, 12:40:22 PM »

Offline CelticsJG

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
I swear, some "fans" here are only happy when we're losing. 53 wins. ECF. Sign the top FA out there....and some dingbats want to tear the team down to go with a youth movement because they're afraid that having good players in front of highly-rated rookies might hinder their development.

For me it's us getting our priorities straight because we are reaching a point of letting high draft picks walking away for free or being traded for peanuts. One of my biggest fear is a player we drafted looking good on another team because he says a lot more about us than them.

« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2017, 01:26:33 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I love what DA is doing with the roster. It kills me when teams who are fringe championship competitors load their bench with end of their career players who are ring chasing. The spurs have always mad a habit of bringing in young guys or older rookies and developing them. That has played a key party in their years of competitive basketball. If a team can consistently pull 1 role player out of 3 late first or second round picks then they are in great shape. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2017, 02:28:28 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

For me it's us getting our priorities straight because we are reaching a point of letting high draft picks walking away for free or being traded for peanuts. One of my biggest fear is a player we drafted looking good on another team because he says a lot more about us than them.

Except that hasn't happened so that's an entirely unrealized fear. Danny and Wyc have already said they'd go into the tax so why not worry about it when that point comes?

The priority is winning both now and later. Nobody should rationally want to take two steps back and play rookies in order for some nebulous "development". There's more than one way to develop and our rookies get far more developed every day in practice than they do on a crappy team where they go up against scrubs each day.

Also, think about it this way - what message would you send to Brown, Tatum, etc. if we purposely stepped back from a contending team with a Championship window of quite a few years in order to play them for "development"? What does that say about the importance of winning and the culture of the team? It's one thing to scrap a team that's clearly on the downside (ex. Atlanta) but it sends an entirely different message when you hurt a team that's still on the upside, had 53 wins and made the ECF. Here's a hint - the message it says isn't a good one.

Thinking that development is a priority over winning in these circumstances is a loser's mentality.

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2017, 04:45:47 PM »

Offline CelticsJG

• Brad Stevens

Except that hasn't happened so that's an entirely unrealized fear. Danny and Wyc have already said they'd go into the tax so why not worry about it when that point comes?

The priority is winning both now and later. Nobody should rationally want to take two steps back and play rookies in order for some nebulous "development". There's more than one way to develop and our rookies get far more developed every day in practice than they do on a crappy team where they go up against scrubs each day.

Also, think about it this way - what message would you send to Brown, Tatum, etc. if we purposely stepped back from a contending team with a Championship window of quite a few years in order to play them for "development"? What does that say about the importance of winning and the culture of the team? It's one thing to scrap a team that's clearly on the downside (ex. Atlanta) but it sends an entirely different message when you hurt a team that's still on the upside, had 53 wins and made the ECF. Here's a hint - the message it says isn't a good one.

Thinking that development is a priority over winning in these circumstances is a loser's mentality.

[dang] Brad Stevens must have a loser mentality because that his whole philosophy. Honestly don't think Brown & Tatum would care because there are young and still learning. They are willing to go in the tax if we contending, which we are not. Again I not saying scrap the team.  What I am saying is create more opportunities for the young guys can play instead of the idea of signing more vets/bums.

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2017, 05:02:00 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

[dang] Brad Stevens must have a loser mentality because that his whole philosophy. Honestly don't think Brown & Tatum would care because there are young and still learning. They are willing to go in the tax if we contending, which we are not. Again I not saying scrap the team.  What I am saying is create more opportunities for the young guys can play instead of the idea of signing more vets/bums.

Not contending? 53 wins, #1 in the East, ECF and the #1 FA on the market and we're not contending? Okay.   :o

And, if you haven't looked, they created more opportunities. No team in the NBA will have more first-time NBA players on their roster this year. Some people couldn't spell cat if you spotted them the C and the A...

« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2017, 05:35:54 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Young guys all the way.
I like our team as it is.

Age means nothing...it will be who deserves to play.

Terry earned his minutes.

« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2017, 05:44:58 PM »

Offline CelticsJG

• Brad Stevens

Not contending? 53 wins, #1 in the East, ECF and the #1 FA on the market and we're not contending? Okay.   :o

And, if you haven't looked, they created more opportunities. No team in the NBA will have more first-time NBA players on their roster this year. Some people couldn't spell cat if you spotted them the C and the A...

I mean we are not beating Cleveland or  GSW? I love Gordon Hayward, but don't he move the needle. How many of the first time NBA players going to play on our roster? Insults? Such a trash person. I am out.

« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2017, 06:34:30 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
You're out a lot CelticsJG.. seems to coincide with you losing arguments, funny that...

« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2017, 07:44:24 PM »

Offline CelticsJG

• Brad Stevens
You're out a lot CelticsJG.. seems to coincide with you losing arguments, funny that...

No for me to continuing a conversation if I have nothing else to say. People feel how they feel and I am feel how I feel.

« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2017, 08:02:48 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
You're out a lot CelticsJG

When you can't logically defend your position, abandon it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 08:25:13 PM by Granath »