Author Topic: Who could potentially be The Secret Weapon  (Read 3523 times)

Who could potentially be The Secret Weapon
« on: August 01, 2017, 03:15:45 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

What player, specifically a young player, could really surprised people, let's pick two guys. An obvious and not so obvious choice for potentially being a pleasant surprise this year.

I'm going with Tatum for the not so secret weapon. He will be called upon during big moments all year long.

My guy that to me would be amazing if he be exploded onto tge scene is none other than the Dancing Bear Yabu. This dude has a chance to offensively be the perfect Stretch four in today's game.

Great shooting with his feet set, tremendous quickness for a Bear. Surprising Athleticism. Great length almost 7'2" Wingspan. Actually pretty good passer and playmaker as well.

Defense is another story. Nice tools though, the great part is Semi is actually awesome what Yabu is not at and that's guarding on t he e perimeter and switches.

Re: Who could potentially be The Secret Weapon
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 05:10:31 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I'm going for Semi.
Universal soldier (Van Damme ref.) type of body, a man could plow 10 acres by himself with a plow alone strapped on his back. He has 200 hit points already. His defensive versatility is truly intriguing. Even though his floor game is not polished, or at NBA level TBH, his set three point shot will make up for it as others will create.
Before the draft I had hoped that we would draft OJ. A type of guy that can theoreticaly switch 95% stuff, while still somewhat space the floor or, at best, later to attack closeouts. Semi is that guy, sans the ACL tear. Oh yea, and on a 4 year slavers (in a positive way) contract.

My 2nd pick is Ante "the Antedote" Žižić.

A question mark.
The real deal.
A bust,
A mascott.

All in one before playing an NBA game.
Ante ante portas!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 06:25:53 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 05:57:08 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
I'm leaning towards this Theis dude. So often you have euros come in and do well straight away - like that Mindaganus Kusminskinautus dude from the Knicks. I could see him getting big minutes (more than Semi) if anything happens to Morris.

But if we are talking about "secret disasters" - I thought about starting a thread on potential disasters for the year ahead (I was thinking about a Rozier, Smart, Jaylen, Morris, Baynes rotation that will look OK down one end of the floor, but an absolute sheizer show down the other) but I thought better of it
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 06:34:39 AM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I am going with Smart. He does so many things that go unnoticed that it's easy to keep him a secret. People often overlook defense but yet it's what wins championships. Smart stopping an easy score on one end has a much bigger impact then a guy who can score.

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 07:01:42 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I am going with Smart. He does so many things that go unnoticed that it's easy to keep him a secret. People often overlook defense but yet it's what wins championships. Smart stopping an easy score on one end has a much bigger impact then a guy who can score.
Smart is not so secret, but I think the success of the team will largely depend on how good a season he has.  Just imagine the difference he would make if he raises his FG% even just a few percentage points, and/or gets more aggressive going to the rim.  He already has all the other tools and can guard multiple positions.  ON THE OTHER HAND, if he does not improve from last year, I think this team will have a difficult time beating Cleveland (assuming Irving stays put).

For truly "secret" weapons, Tatum is a good choice (though again not really a secret nationally) as are Theis and Yabu.  Even Terry Rozier is a decent choice since he doesn't get a lot of attention around the league yet.

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 09:31:04 AM »

Offline BigDogPitbull

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
The German kid looks like he's going to be fun to watch.

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 09:53:54 AM »

Offline kmart12

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
My not-so-obvious secret weapon is Tatum. I think the best case scenario would be Tatum seeing some minutes at the 4 and thriving, particularly exceeding expectations as a mid-level rebounder (e.g., 6 to 7 a game). We all know about Tatum's potent offensive game, but if he pairs it with another skill early on in his career I think he'll see more playing time.

My "true" secret weapon might be Theis simply because we don't know much about him and he has the profile of someone who could help this team (i.e., decent size, athleticism, shot-blocking, finishing ability etc.). I'm unimpressed by Semi and I think his summer league performance wasn't the jaw-dropping exhibition that some made it out to be. I don't think there's many players on this team that are going to contribute that we aren't already expecting contributions from.

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 11:28:06 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Tatum

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 11:50:49 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Semi and Zizic, due to depth might be in Maine as staff sorts out bench.

Yabusele might be a sleeper because of size/width, mobility and three point shooting.

Tatum is talented enough to perhaps, not be a sleeper, he'll just be good.

I know this one is odd, but, I think Stevens could set up Baynes to play more than just Amir's replacement minutes. It will be interesting to see if Brad will play him as a "core starter." Steven's hasn't had a player like Baynes here. If he does? It puts Horford further from the basket and maybe just what the doctor ordered.

Sleeper = Baynes

I think the Celtics are going to score a million points this season and some players are just going to be used to play defense.

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 12:22:54 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
The Naderator.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 12:30:20 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Rozier. People are still sleeping on him, but with Bradley gone, he's going to get his chance and step up this season.

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 07:27:39 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
im going with Theis... in this cash-strapped off season, Danny and team didn't hesitate to sign him. I doubt they would do that for a player they don't have significant plans for and given how early he was  signed he's not some end of bench player either.

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 07:35:09 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 07:54:01 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
More obvious weapon, I'll go with Jaylen Brown. Less obvious weapon I'll go with Semi. He's shown that he can shoot the ball well even in small sample size instances like the summer league, his body is NBA-ready, is very versatile defensively, and working with Hayeward is always a plus.

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 08:56:18 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
Semi and Zizic, due to depth might be in Maine as staff sorts out bench.

Yabusele might be a sleeper because of size/width, mobility and three point shooting.

Tatum is talented enough to perhaps, not be a sleeper, he'll just be good.

I know this one is odd, but, I think Stevens could set up Baynes to play more than just Amir's replacement minutes. It will be interesting to see if Brad will play him as a "core starter." Steven's hasn't had a player like Baynes here. If he does? It puts Horford further from the basket and maybe just what the doctor ordered.

Sleeper = Baynes

I think the Celtics are going to score a million points this season and some players are just going to be used to play defense.
Tough to start Baynes due to Horfords inability to guard the 4.