Author Topic: Celtics rookies ranked by chance to get playing time  (Read 4185 times)

Re: Celtics rookies ranked by chance to get playing time
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2017, 07:18:50 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Only Tatum will be a rotation player (defined as getting in at least once a half and averaging over 12 mpg for season. 

Everyone else I would bet averages under 12 mpg for season. I'd say Theis (due to experience) and Zizic (due to size matchups) have next best chance to earn some run based on injuries, etc.
This sounds about right to me. 

The other rookies will rack up lots of DNP-CDs or garbage time minutes, or Red Claws.

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2017, 08:44:20 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Doeds Tatum have potential to be this year's Evan Turner? He's not the distributor that Turner was when he was here and Smart's playmaking has come a long way (I'm assuming he'll still be coming off the bench) but if Smart's shooting it still a problem is it possible the second unit offense is run through Tatum? Might he be ready for that kind of scoring load if it's against bench opposition?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2017, 09:21:34 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
This is simple:

Tatum

----

Everyone else

Brad doesn't need to play these guys because the minutes on the floor are already covered. So it's going to be whoever distinguishes themselves in practice. I think it might be Semi but whoever it is will have EARNED their minutes by going up against a very talented roster day in, day out in practice and will have shown they can offer something to this team.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2017, 09:24:46 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Doeds Tatum have potential to be this year's Evan Turner? He's not the distributor that Turner was when he was here and Smart's playmaking has come a long way (I'm assuming he'll still be coming off the bench) but if Smart's shooting it still a problem is it possible the second unit offense is run through Tatum? Might he be ready for that kind of scoring load if it's against bench opposition?

That's a bad comparison.

Turner was a facilitator (4.4 assists per game) but a horribly inefficient scorer with a lifetime eFG of .452. Turner drove the offense but didn't finish.

Tatum isn't a facilitator but should be a far more effective scorer and shooter. He won't drive the offense but he'll be the finisher.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2017, 09:44:28 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
He's ready to be a rookie Carmelo Anthony, never mind Evan Turner.

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2017, 07:38:08 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

That's a bad comparison.

Turner was a facilitator (4.4 assists per game) but a horribly inefficient scorer with a lifetime eFG of .452. Turner drove the offense but didn't finish.

Tatum isn't a facilitator but should be a far more effective scorer and shooter. He won't drive the offense but he'll be the finisher.
Maybe I didn't explain that right. I'm not saying I think Tatum's game is going to be similar to Turner's, I think it's possible that he could play a similar role on the team as the linchpin of the second unit offense. Not as a facilitator but as a go-to scorer against opposing benches.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008