Author Topic: Celtics rookies ranked by chance to get playing time  (Read 4200 times)

Celtics rookies ranked by chance to get playing time
« on: July 30, 2017, 11:53:24 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
(source: https://hardwoodhoudini.com/2017/07/22/ranking-boston-celtics-rookie-chances/ )

#1 Jayson Tatum

Tatum was not the number one pick in the draft, but Danny Ainge made it known that he was the top player on the Celtics board. You do not get the best player in a draft and not have an already planned role for him.

He should expect to be the primary scorer on the second unit, and if the the defense comes around he will get time with the starters.

Of course he still has to prove himself. That being said, his leash will be longer. The Celtics will accept more problems from him before taking down his minutes, because they realize how high his ceiling could be.

It may end up being a Jaylen Brown type role from a season ago. Minutes will be inconsistent and the role will be largely undetermined. That being said, as he improves his minutes will increase, and by the end of the season he should have the most important role and biggest impact of any rookie on this team.

#2 Ante Zizic

Zizic does not have the versatility of the two previous bigs, but he is the most NBA ready rookie on this team, and is the best chance the Celtics have at fixing their rebounding issues.

He has an outside chance at the starting lineup based on how badly they need rebounding. The reason Zizic is so high on the list is that it is hard to imagine him having no role. The Celtics have multiple options when it comes to versatile bigs. For traditional bigs out there primarily to rebound, Zizic has almost no competition.

If Zizic proves to just be a capable rebounder, then he will be getting minutes. If he can offer more than just rebounding, then he could break the 20 minutes per game plateau. The Celtics are going to have an odd rotation with their bigs this season, and Zizic could fit in a lot of different ways.

#3 Guerschon Yabusele

Yabusele is Ojeleye with a year of professional ball under his belt. It was overseas, but the Celtics have a much better idea of how good Yabusele can be, and he fits in quite similarly to how Ojeleye will.

The bottom line is that the Celtics will never have too many of these kinds of versatile bigs. Yabusele may take minutes away from Ojeleye and vise versa, but if the two of them are playing well then they will both be prominent options off the bench.

The Celtics need the versatility, they need the offense and they need the defense. Yabusele has a great chance to have a real impact on the second unit. And, if his versatility can improve throughout the season, he could see some small ball time with the starters.

#4 Semi Ojeleye

Ojeleye caught a lot of eyes in the summer league, and has quickly become a fan favorite for the Celtics. It is rare to see a second round pick contribute as a rookie, but there is too much momentum around Ojeleye to ignore right now.

After Stevens’ comments about his ability to guard the five position, Ojeleye looks like he could be the key to small ball on the second unit. With a completely revamped second unit front court, Ojeleye is the exact kind of player they are hoping will work out.

His defensive versatility may actually make him underrated on this list. In terms of getting roles as a rookie, one thing is more important than anything else for the Celtics, defense.

#5 Daniel Theis

It feels a bit different looking at Theis as a rookie. He is already an established player in Germany, and just brought home a defensive player of the year award. That being said, the Celtics will be giving him his first NBA experience, and he does two things that this team desperately needs: rim protection and outside shooting.

Theis can certainly provide floor spacing, and he does it while being a stellar interior presence. Obviously competition difference is the biggest concern. There is no doubt that Theis will have a difficult transition. That being said, if he brings some of that Europe success to the Celtics, then he should have a prominent role on the bench.

The Celtics certainly have the space for him in the second unit front court, but he is going to be a bit more difficult to gauge. What the Celtics need him to do will be a lot more difficult at the NBA level, and if he takes a while to adjust, you know there are multiple options right behind him that will look to take any minutes away as quickly as possible.

#6 Abdel Nader

Nader has been impressive in lower competitions. He has proven that he can excel over lesser competition, but he will need a lot more to have an impact on the Celtics this season.

He certainly is a solid fit for the Celtics. He is a versatile forward who can be dynamic on offense. The problem is that the Celtics have invested a lot of assets into that exact kind of player. Nader has not excelled in any one way well enough to set himself a part from the other competing for the similar role.

One advantage Nader has is a bit more trust. He has been around the franchise for a bit longer, and Stevens has a better idea of what he is capable of compared to other rookies fresh out of college or coming from overseas.

#7 Kadeem Allen

Allen was impressive enough to make the Celtics want to keep him around, but there is a lot working against him right now. The Celtics do not have a direct need for anything that Allen does, and there is incredible depth ahead of him.

Allen needs to be even more special than maybe anyone else to earn a roster spot. His draft position will make any kind of benefit of the doubt difficult to establish, and he needs to be special enough to make up for a lot of trust established by those ahead of him on the roster.

The Celtics have plenty of guards. If there is one thing they may need more of is pure ball handlers. Unfortunately, Allen has a long ways to go before he can be a trusted ball handler.

#8 Jabari Bird

The 6’6″ shooting guard out of California reportedly impressed team team officials with his summer league play. He was the 56th player taken in this year’s draft after averaging 14.1 points and 4.7 rebounds as a senior with the Golden Bears.

https://hardwoodhoudini.com/2017/07/22/ranking-boston-celtics-rookie-chances/
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:59:12 PM by CelticsElite »

Re: Celtics rookies ranked by chance to get playing time
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 06:49:42 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
You lost me when you put Ante at 2.  I think your way off on some of these placements.

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 06:56:40 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
You lost me when you put Ante at 2.  I think your way off on some of these placements.

I dunno, the depth chart kinda agrees.

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 07:00:25 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I don't think they have it right here. The roster is stacked this year, there are going to be guys who spend most of the year in Maine. Yab and Zizic especially might be making the journey a lot.

I appreciate where Tatum was taken and I am really invested in him but his path to minutes is difficult. He has to pass Morris, Brown or Crowder to see significant time. Same for Olejeye.

I see Theis as the most likely to get minutes in all honesty. Nader I expect to see some time as well given his head start. Outside of those two, Tatum will get a shot and I hope he takes it.

Regardless the meat of the rotation will be
IT
Hayward
Crowder
Theis
Horford
Smart
Brown
Baynes
Morris
Rozier

That's 10 and Brad will probably has an 11th, either Nader or Tatum who will come in place of Rozier depending on matchup. So yeah, difficult for any rookie to really get in on the rotation.

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 07:20:52 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Tatum is going to be a guy we go to for his offense when he's in

After that I feel guys will get playing time like a tony Allen or scal in defense or how there skill set fits a lineup.
Yab, semi, theis

No order and everyone after doesn't get to list.  Too much competition on team for minutes, brown, rozier, Morris and baynes will eat a lot of minutes

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 07:52:38 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Tatum

Ojeleye
Theis
Zizic
Nader
Yabu

Allen
Bird

Tatum will earn his way into consitstant minutes with his elite talent. The next group of rookies playing time will be depended on two things 1. Injuries and 2. Defence

I give Semi the #2 spot because he has show (all be it in summer league) the ability to defend everyone on the floor. If injuries to a wing/big open up minutes I can see a situation where BS gives Semi a shot early in the season.

Theis #3 is a wild card for me but as a 25 year old rookie who scouting reports claim to be a good athlete who can knock down an open 3, rebound and defend the rim its easy to see him getting some time if Al or Baynes misses some time.

Zizic #4 looks to need time to develop but as a player to match up against other big centers especaily if foul trouble or injures come into play he could see some time.

Nader #5 is perhaps the most ready to contribute out of the rookies but also has a lot of depth ahead of him

Yabu #6 I suspect spends a lot of time in the D-league working on his defense. Long term he is probably the 2nd most talented of the group

As for Allen and Bird the only way I see either getting real game minutes is if 2 guards get hurt and Allen is needed as a spot minute defender.

One other thing to point out. The Red Claws could be really entertaining this season.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 08:23:00 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
So, the point of the article is to say that we have many rookies... got it. =p

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 08:23:03 AM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
Only Tatum will be a rotation player (defined as getting in at least once a half and averaging over 12 mpg for season. 

Everyone else I would bet averages under 12 mpg for season. I'd say Theis (due to experience) and Zizic (due to size matchups) have next best chance to earn some run based on injuries, etc.

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 08:47:33 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I generally agree with the assessment of CFAN38 - TP. The article seems to assume there will be more playing time than there should be (barring injuries). We are talking about the 10th-17th guys on the roster. I think Tatum should solidify himself in the 2nd unit pretty quickly, but it will be a fight for others. I suspect the older rookies (Semi, Theis) may have a better chance at earning minutes early on.

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 09:12:25 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Tatum could well be the offense off the bench--a 6th man type. Hondo started off like that as a rookie--though mainly for defense, then turned later into an offensive starter.

You have to see how things go in training camp. A lot of young guys for the coach to sort out and get to know. I expect the vets Morris and Baynes to get the main PT up front along with Horford and Hayward. Stevens probably has a better idea how to match up those players than the younger guys.

Tatum is the one guy who could be the sleeper--because of his shooting ability and his maturity. He could be good right away.

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 06:19:44 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I dunno, the depth chart kinda agrees.

Depth chart from where?   There is no depth chart this far out from camp which starts in late September.   Anything this early is pure speculation.

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 06:52:10 PM »

Offline safecracker

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
  • JJ8
He didn't. The source did.

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 06:57:06 PM »

Offline safecracker

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
  • JJ8
Only Tatum will be a rotation player (defined as getting in at least once a half and averaging over 12 mpg for season. 

Everyone else I would bet averages under 12 mpg for season. I'd say Theis (due to experience) and Zizic (due to size matchups) have next best chance to earn some run based on injuries, etc.
Exactly my thinking as well.

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 07:05:54 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Tatum
Theis
Yabu
Zizic
Semi/Nader
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 07:15:14 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I don't think they have it right here. The roster is stacked this year, there are going to be guys who spend most of the year in Maine. Yab and Zizic especially might be making the journey a lot.

I appreciate where Tatum was taken and I am really invested in him but his path to minutes is difficult. He has to pass Morris, Brown or Crowder to see significant time. Same for Olejeye.

I see Theis as the most likely to get minutes in all honesty. Nader I expect to see some time as well given his head start. Outside of those two, Tatum will get a shot and I hope he takes it.

Regardless the meat of the rotation will be
IT
Hayward
Crowder
Theis
Horford
Smart
Brown
Baynes
Morris
Rozier

That's 10 and Brad will probably has an 11th, either Nader or Tatum who will come in place of Rozier depending on matchup. So yeah, difficult for any rookie to really get in on the rotation.

You just re-reminded me how deep this team will be, and especially by years end. I'm getting excited early.