Author Topic: Smart an upgrade over Bradley  (Read 15275 times)

Re: Smart an upgrade over Bradley
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2017, 07:22:34 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I love Marcus Smart and hope to see some improvement in his shooting touch but we are going to miss Avery Bradley.  I think in general, his contribution was underrated.  He goes about his business very quietly and is easily overshadowed.  No, he was not much of a passer and he did have durability issues but he did a lot to help this team with his scoring, defense, and rebounding.

Certainly, between Hayward and Smart, we should be able to replace his production and contribution but I don't see Smart as stepping in and being an upgrade individually. 

« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2017, 07:44:45 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Fair points, though you're leaving out free throw shooting; Marcus was much better at getting to the line than Avery, and shot grade-A from there (one reason they posted him up so much)

Defending a guy that shoots 35% from the field and 28% from the three can't be easy.

Beyond that is that Smart was also a much better facilitator on offense than Avery. As he is on defense, he makes something happen when he comes in the game, keeps balls alive, makes good reads. His increased responsibility last season resulted in more turnovers - that was a problem; but maybe he just needs to get used to it.

My favorite part of Smart is his ability to win 50-50 plays.  He truly excels at these types of plays.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/422515-what-is-a-50-50-ball-in-basketball/

Dennis Johnson, anyone?

Smart seems to play better in big games but DJ was way more clutch than what we have seen from Smart thus far.  Still it is early, if Smart can fix his shot then it is possible.

Bottom line for me is this, there is no way anyone is going to convince me until I see him play prolonged minutes at AB's spot in the rotation.   I mean more than he did coming off the bench and as a starter for a season.   It is foolish to pronounce somebody better until they prove it, although it makes for great debate in the summer doldrums of NBA basketball.

« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2017, 08:00:15 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
What's the threshhold for Smart improving offensively where he becomes an upgrade? Shooting 35% from three and 40% overall?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2017, 08:12:14 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Big downgrade for anything involving scoring the ball + defensive rebounding, and a small downgrade - I'd say very small, some might say not at all - for on-ball defense.

Don't forget shooting.  Marcus is not a shooter by any stretch and AB grew into one.

Fair points, though you're leaving out free throw shooting; Marcus was much better at getting to the line than Avery, and shot grade-A from there (one reason they posted him up so much).

Beyond that is that Smart was also a much better facilitator on offense than Avery. As he is on defense, he makes something happen when he comes in the game, keeps balls alive, makes good reads. His increased responsibility last season resulted in more turnovers - that was a problem; but maybe he just needs to get used to it.

People will be watching his 3-pt. shooting, and rightly so.  But look at turnovers and trips to the line also.

Dennis Johnson, anyone?

He's a unique player  with a range of strengths who is weak in shooting (both finishing and from the arc... )

I love Avery Bradley, but but I'm convinced that he was the least necessary of the often targeted trio of Crowder/Smart/Bradley. Oh well.
You must never have watched DJ when he was Smart's age. At 23 and 24 Dennis Johnson was more like Michael Jordan than Marcus Smart. DJ only became the grounded tough bulldog of a player that could facilitate an offense and hit big shots after injuries and age got a hold of him.

« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2017, 08:28:17 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Huge IQ upgrade.

« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2017, 10:16:48 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
What's the threshhold for Smart improving offensively where he becomes an upgrade? Shooting 35% from three and 40% overall?

Upgrade over what? You mean Bradley?

I'm going to keep arguing for the whole offensive contribution, not just the shooting.

Yes, it's hard to dispute that actually making a shot is important.

Here's a laundry list:

1) At least 33% from deep - that's equivalent to 50% from two, so it matches the ages-old NBA standard of "a possession is a point". If he really could shoot 35% we're in a new world.

2) At least .550 at the rim. Brad loves to post him up and put the ball in his hands. He'd have a huge impact on the offense if he could put more pressure on the defense down there.

3) Turnover percentage of 12% - he had an increased responsibility this past season; let's hope that he's learned his lessons and values the ball more this season. I think that this is a bigger deal than his poor FG shooting. If he misses a shot, there is at least the chance at a rebound.

4) One more defensive rebound per game.  Just one more! Avery showed last season that it is not about your size, and at 220 Marcus ought to be producing more for the team in that area.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 10:39:55 AM by ThePaintedArea »

« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2017, 10:19:21 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum

Fair points, though you're leaving out free throw shooting; Marcus was much better at getting to the line than Avery, and shot grade-A from there (one reason they posted him up so much)

Defending a guy that shoots 35% from the field and 28% from the three can't be easy.\

And yet he gets to the line - a lot - anyway.

He shot a free throw for almost exactly every three FG attempts last season (.334, an excellent number; compare to Avery at .120) - and he doesn't use a whole lot of possessions.

Most casual fans aren't including FT shooting when they talk about "shooting", but it's a good way to score points, and Marcus, in addition to taking a lot of trips there, is money when he does: .812 last season, which is grade-A.

That helps the team get in the penalty, so that Isaiah and Jaylen can shoot more free ones, too.  Casual fans focus on shooting and scoring, and are less aware of how a player impacts the whole offense of the team.

If he's going to continue to facilitate out of post-ups, he simply has to get better at putting the ball in the basket.  Casual fans are more focused on his 3-pt shooting, but he was dismal at the rim: .488 is godawful.

« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2017, 10:24:21 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
If he's going to continue to facilitate out of post-ups, he simply has to get better at putting the ball in the basket.  Casual fans are more focused on his 3-pt shooting, but he was dismal at the rim: .488 is godawful.

Yeah we'd all love Marcus to be more effective from long-distance but he's one of the worst finishers in the league too.  Getting what should be easy buckets would be a great start.

« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2017, 10:57:39 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
Dennis Johnson, anyone?

Smart seems to play better in big games but DJ was way more clutch than what we have seen from Smart thus far.  Still it is early, if Smart can fix his shot then it is possible.

You must never have watched DJ when he was Smart's age. At 23 and 24 Dennis Johnson was more like Michael Jordan than Marcus Smart. DJ only became the grounded tough bulldog of a player that could facilitate an offense and hit big shots after injuries and age got a hold of him.

Nick - you're right, before my time.

My DJ/Smart comparison was basically that they were two players who were instigators/facilitators and lousy shooters. Dennis' BEST year from 3 was .269 by the way.

I know that - at least among Celtics fans - DJ has the reputation of being clutch, but I wasn't particularly thinking of Marcus that way.

Bottom line for me is this, there is no way anyone is going to convince me until I see him play prolonged minutes at AB's spot in the rotation.   I mean more than he did coming off the bench and as a starter for a season.   It is foolish to pronounce somebody better until they prove it, although it makes for great debate in the summer doldrums of NBA basketball.

Their roles are different. Marcus spotting up, spreading the floor is not a good role for him or the team, just as Bradley was mediocre at running the offense.

I have my doubts that his minutes will increase, or that his role will change very much. Avery, sadly, has departed, but Hayward, Brown, and Tatum will all be getting wing minutes; and even Rozier - who came through in the playoffs when it really counted - will have a case to make for ballhandler minutes.

Smart already was playing starter minutes last season; don't look for an increase.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 11:14:12 AM by ThePaintedArea »

« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2017, 11:06:12 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
the analysis with smart's shooting may also involve breaking things down a bit. his 3 point shooting from the left, center, and right wings ranged from poor to p--- poor.

but, from the corners he shot over 42%, which is above league average.

CBS needs to position him better in plays to get him open for such shots.

but, yes, aside from the corners, he does need to improve a lot on 3 pointers.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2017, 11:29:52 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
the analysis with smart's shooting may also involve breaking things down a bit. his 3 point shooting from the left, center, and right wings ranged from poor to p--- poor.

That's intriguing. Where are you tracking shot data?

« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2017, 11:40:48 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I personally think Smart is an upgrade over Bradley not because of his offense, although I think his offense will improve as a starter. My reasoning is simply

1. Primary ball handler, relief pressure off of IT4, IT4 can truly focus on scoring
2. Better ball IQ vs Bradley
3. Better ball handling over Bradley
4. Possibly a bit healthier than Bradley long term

« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2017, 11:57:15 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I personally think Smart is an upgrade over Bradley not because of his offense, although I think his offense will improve as a starter. My reasoning is simply

1. Primary ball handler, relief pressure off of IT4, IT4 can truly focus on scoring
4. Possibly a bit healthier than Bradley long term
Absolutely not. Bradley typically played well within his capabilities, and Smart hasn't met a bad shot he didn't like.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2017, 12:08:28 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

That's intriguing. Where are you tracking shot data?
NBA.com, basketball-reference, pretty much anywhere these days.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2017, 12:16:23 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum

This was a critical role for him last season. I think that it means that Smart will continue to come off the bench, while Thomas starts the game as the primary ballhandler.

At any rate, Smart has a terrific feel for the game.

And passing.  He also has a big size advantage...