Author Topic: Woj - at least 6 teams have made formal offers, ~20 have contacted Cavs  (Read 4929 times)

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Suns - Bledsoe centered deal

Hornets - would they offer Kemba and MKG?   http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8rlocdm

Heat - Dragic and Winslow?

Nuggets - veterans (Faried and Chandler)  plus young guy?  http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/07/kyrie-irving-trade-nba-knicks-jazz-magic-nuggets-suns

The USA Today article mentioned Cavs might not want Jamal Murray - would rather have a pg. I'm not sure what team has an extra pg that could be a 3RD TEAM. Maybe the Clips would trade Patrick Beverly?   http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yalzsx8a
I actually kind of like that Denver, Phoenix, Cleveland 3 team trade idea they were floating

Basic framework would be something like this:

Cleveland - W. Chandler, Faried, Bledsoe, Denver 1st
Denver - Irving, Shumpert
Phoenix - Murray, Jefferson
I don't see why Phoenix would do this deal. Murray is repetitive with Booker and Jackson, don't really like it for them. Unless they just want to dump Bledsoe, doesn't seem to make a lot of sense for them to get involved, especially with Knight out for the season.
Jackson is a SF, he has no bearing on the backcourt.  I think a Murray/Booker backcourt would be incredible offensively.  It would struggle defensively, but Bledsoe isn't going to be around in Phoenix for much longer anyway.  They also still have Ullis as a more traditional PG (who just finished his rookie year) and the other rookies they picked up this summer (Mike James, Davon Reed). 

The reason the Suns wouldn't do this, I think really just boils down to whether they think they can get more than Murray for Bledsoe at some point this season.  I personally think they would be hard pressed to do better than a top 7 pick in his second year that showed tremendous shooting potential as a rookie (he was up and down, but generally closed pretty strong), but they may think they can do better and thus wouldn't do the trade.

I think they probably could do better for Bledsoe than Murray. A top 7 pick from a class that is really viewed as generally pretty weak. What would Murray have been drafted if he came out this year? I also think he is pretty redundant with Booker.

They really should just do the 2 team direct trade with Phoenix and try to get something settled around Bledsoe and Jackson. That would be an amazing hall for them given the circumstances.

Related to that, while WOJ kind of praises the new Cleveland GM it doesn't seem like the Cleveland GM is being very realistic. He references the Carmelo trade with Denver as what they want as a goal. However, that trade is 6 years ago and is generally seen as a pretty bad overpay for a star player demanding a trade. The GM's have wisened up since the days of the Deron Williams and Carmelo trades that really limited their franchises moving forward. We have a ton of trades over the last couple of years (even the Cousins, Butler and George trades in the last year) where teams are not gutting their team for that one player. Going back further a young player like Harden getting traded was not getting an Anthony type return. Cleveland has to be careful because I think the one thing they have to understand is they don't need this upcoming season, one with title aspirations, becoming a day to day media circus asking about the Kyrie and Lebron relationship and the trade demand. This should be done before training camp so everyone can move on.
The Suns don't want to trade Jackson though, which is where a 3 team trade like that may make some sense.  If they wanted to trade Jackson, Irving might already be a Sun.  Murray wouldn't have gone 7 in this draft, but he was still probably a top 20 type pick in the draft.  I just don't think the Suns will easily get even a late 1st for Bledsoe if they wait until the deadline.  Teams just don't trade those like they used to.  But even if they can get a 1st, is a 1st and filler better than Murray, I'm just not so sure about that.  Murray and Booker are obviously a bit repetitive, but in a guard heavy league it isn't so bad to be repetitive when you are talking about good to great shooters and highly skilled offensive players.  Bledsoe just doesn't make sense in Phoenix with that team.  I can't imagine he is on the Suns at the end of the season, so trading him for a young talented player makes a great deal of sense for them.

So this is your best guess at what Trade happens?
No, though it wouldn't surprise me because it hits most of what Cleveland has been asking for and makes sense for the 3 teams.  I think eventually the Wolves will decide they really want Irving and will put Wiggins on the table.  Wiggins, Aldrich, and Jones for Irving and Felder/Tavares (whichever the Wolves want).  That seems like the most likely trade to me.

Other teams that wouldn't really surprise me as a landing spot (aside from Denver, Phoenix, Minny) would be Utah, NY, LAC, Dallas, or Miami.  I think Boston could make a pretty attractive package but don't think Ainge will and similarly don't think Cleveland would trade Irving to Boston.

I think Wiggins would be a really solid get for Cleveland given the circumstances. However, I do think that trade represents a big step back for the Cavs the upcoming season. Wiggins isn't magically going to become even an average defensive player next season and his offense is nice, but a little redundant with Lebron, Love, Rose and Smith all capable of scoring.

Also what is there starting lineup?  Rose, Wiggins, Lebron, Love, Thompson?

Can Wiggins play the 2?

I think that team probably loses to Boston and possibly Washington.

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Well, Irving apparently wants to go to the Knicks, so there's that...

Probably a dodgy rumour.
Banner 18 please 😍

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Spurs, Clippers, Suns, Wolves, Knicks, Heat Make Offers For Kyrie Irving

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Well, Irving apparently wants to go to the Knicks, so there's that...

Probably a dodgy rumour.

Yeah, the NY media always puts out rumors that they are about to acquire whichever big name player is available.