Author Topic: Woj - at least 6 teams have made formal offers, ~20 have contacted Cavs  (Read 4939 times)

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Would love to see us pounce on this one. Thomas, Crowder, and Lakers pick? I don't think the Celtics would offer this. I would however and I think this would get the deal done.

That's why you're not a GM.

*shakes head*
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Well, Irving apparently wants to go to the Knicks, so there's that...

What a winner.

Some people just don't get it. I remember Carmelo forcing his way to New York, and that turned out horribly, and this reminds me of that. Some guys just want the bright lights and the numbers, and those are the ones I don't want on the Celtics.

or:

1. Low expectations, since Knicks currently stink. No place to go but up.
2. Can be alpha dog, since Carmelo would likely be traded.
3. Can play with the unicorn Zinger, who would complement KI's game nicely, and doesn't demand the ball too much like LBJ, to be successful.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Would love to see us pounce on this one. Thomas, Crowder, and Lakers pick? I don't think the Celtics would offer this. I would however and I think this would get the deal done.

That's why you're not a GM.

*shakes head*
Yeah I don't get why Boston would include a prime pick.  I think Thomas, Crowder, and Rozier would be a fair trade.  Might even include Boston's 2018 1st if I absolutely had to, but no way I'm giving up the BKN or LAL pick or a future pick (outside of Boston's next summer).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

What a winner.

Some people just don't get it. I remember Carmelo forcing his way to New York, and that turned out horribly, and this reminds me of that. Some guys just want the bright lights and the numbers, and those are the ones I don't want on the Celtics.

What I will say on Kyrie's behalf is that he's already a champion who hit the biggest shot of a Finals Game 7. He's won more by 25 than most players do in their entire careers. It's not like he's had Chris Paul's playoff career.

That said, he clearly wants to cut his own path as a #1 guy now, which is why I wouldn't want him here either. Fortunately we're close to the last place he'd be traded to.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Suns - Bledsoe centered deal

Hornets - would they offer Kemba and MKG?   http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8rlocdm

Heat - Dragic and Winslow?

Nuggets - veterans (Faried and Chandler)  plus young guy?  http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/07/kyrie-irving-trade-nba-knicks-jazz-magic-nuggets-suns

The USA Today article mentioned Cavs might not want Jamal Murray - would rather have a pg. I'm not sure what team has an extra pg that could be a 3RD TEAM. Maybe the Clips would trade Patrick Beverly?   http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yalzsx8a
I actually kind of like that Denver, Phoenix, Cleveland 3 team trade idea they were floating

Basic framework would be something like this:

Cleveland - W. Chandler, Faried, Bledsoe, Denver 1st
Denver - Irving, Shumpert
Phoenix - Murray, Jefferson
I don't see why Phoenix would do this deal. Murray is repetitive with Booker and Jackson, don't really like it for them. Unless they just want to dump Bledsoe, doesn't seem to make a lot of sense for them to get involved, especially with Knight out for the season.
Jackson is a SF, he has no bearing on the backcourt.  I think a Murray/Booker backcourt would be incredible offensively.  It would struggle defensively, but Bledsoe isn't going to be around in Phoenix for much longer anyway.  They also still have Ullis as a more traditional PG (who just finished his rookie year) and the other rookies they picked up this summer (Mike James, Davon Reed). 

The reason the Suns wouldn't do this, I think really just boils down to whether they think they can get more than Murray for Bledsoe at some point this season.  I personally think they would be hard pressed to do better than a top 7 pick in his second year that showed tremendous shooting potential as a rookie (he was up and down, but generally closed pretty strong), but they may think they can do better and thus wouldn't do the trade. 

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Porzingis and Noah works.

Beneficial for both teams. Cavs don't need another PG. Porzingis could bring similar impact Kyrie does for the Cavs. OTOH, Knicks are in dire need for a true PG.

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

What a winner.

LOL agreed! Love when these frauds want to play for losers!

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
So far the Heat have the best offer. But will need to include
Adebayo to seal the deal imo

To heat: Irving , Smith, Kelder
To Cavs: Dragic, Winslow, Adebayo

If Phoenix includes

To Suns: Irving, Felder
To Cavs: Jackson, Bledsoe, future pick

They prob win the kyrie sweestakes. But likely are offering a combination + Bledsoe

To cavs: Chriss, TJ Warren, Bledsoe, ulis, future 1st

Which would be a decent offer

I'm here and Phoenix and the connected reporters continue to state JJ is NOT available. So they won't get Irving. I see them in a 3-way ending up with Frank from Denver though

I can buy that

Bledso , ulis , warren, chriss may be a good return for Kyrie

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Hornets - would they offer Kemba and MKG?   http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8rlocdm

Nuggets - veterans (Faried and Chandler)  plus young guy?  http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/07/kyrie-irving-trade-nba-knicks-jazz-magic-nuggets-suns

The USA Today article mentioned Cavs might not want Jamal Murray - would rather have a pg. I'm not sure what team has an extra pg that could be a 3RD TEAM. Maybe the Clips would trade Patrick Beverly?   http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yalzsx8a
I actually kind of like that Denver, Phoenix, Cleveland 3 team trade idea they were floating

I don't see why Phoenix would do this deal. Murray is repetitive with Booker and Jackson, don't really like it for them. Unless they just want to dump Bledsoe, doesn't seem to make a lot of sense for them to get involved, especially with Knight out for the season.
Jackson is a SF, he has no bearing on the backcourt.  I think a Murray/Booker backcourt would be incredible offensively.  It would struggle defensively, but Bledsoe isn't going to be around in Phoenix for much longer anyway.  They also still have Ullis as a more traditional PG (who just finished his rookie year) and the other rookies they picked up this summer (Mike James, Davon Reed). 

The reason the Suns wouldn't do this, I think really just boils down to whether they think they can get more than Murray for Bledsoe at some point this season.  I personally think they would be hard pressed to do better than a top 7 pick in his second year that showed tremendous shooting potential as a rookie (he was up and down, but generally closed pretty strong), but they may think they can do better and thus wouldn't do the trade.

I think they probably could do better for Bledsoe than Murray. A top 7 pick from a class that is really viewed as generally pretty weak. What would Murray have been drafted if he came out this year? I also think he is pretty redundant with Booker.

They really should just do the 2 team direct trade with Phoenix and try to get something settled around Bledsoe and Jackson. That would be an amazing hall for them given the circumstances.

Related to that, while WOJ kind of praises the new Cleveland GM it doesn't seem like the Cleveland GM is being very realistic. He references the Carmelo trade with Denver as what they want as a goal. However, that trade is 6 years ago and is generally seen as a pretty bad overpay for a star player demanding a trade. The GM's have wisened up since the days of the Deron Williams and Carmelo trades that really limited their franchises moving forward. We have a ton of trades over the last couple of years (even the Cousins, Butler and George trades in the last year) where teams are not gutting their team for that one player. Going back further a young player like Harden getting traded was not getting an Anthony type return. Cleveland has to be careful because I think the one thing they have to understand is they don't need this upcoming season, one with title aspirations, becoming a day to day media circus asking about the Kyrie and Lebron relationship and the trade demand. This should be done before training camp so everyone can move on.

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I don't have ESPN Insider, but I noticed they posted an article regarding the 5 best and biggest Irving trades they'd like to see. I' be very interested at to what they were.

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

What a winner.

What I will say on Kyrie's behalf is that he's already a champion who hit the biggest shot of a Finals Game 7. He's won more by 25 than most players do in their entire careers. It's not like he's had Chris Paul's playoff career.

That said, he clearly wants to cut his own path as a #1 guy now, which is why I wouldn't want him here either. Fortunately we're close to the last place he'd be traded to.

Agreed.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

I think they probably could do better for Bledsoe than Murray. A top 7 pick from a class that is really viewed as generally pretty weak. What would Murray have been drafted if he came out this year? I also think he is pretty redundant with Booker.

They really should just do the 2 team direct trade with Phoenix and try to get something settled around Bledsoe and Jackson. That would be an amazing hall for them given the circumstances.

Related to that, while WOJ kind of praises the new Cleveland GM it doesn't seem like the Cleveland GM is being very realistic. He references the Carmelo trade with Denver as what they want as a goal. However, that trade is 6 years ago and is generally seen as a pretty bad overpay for a star player demanding a trade. The GM's have wisened up since the days of the Deron Williams and Carmelo trades that really limited their franchises moving forward. We have a ton of trades over the last couple of years (even the Cousins, Butler and George trades in the last year) where teams are not gutting their team for that one player. Going back further a young player like Harden getting traded was not getting an Anthony type return. Cleveland has to be careful because I think the one thing they have to understand is they don't need this upcoming season, one with title aspirations, becoming a day to day media circus asking about the Kyrie and Lebron relationship and the trade demand. This should be done before training camp so everyone can move on.
The Suns don't want to trade Jackson though, which is where a 3 team trade like that may make some sense.  If they wanted to trade Jackson, Irving might already be a Sun.  Murray wouldn't have gone 7 in this draft, but he was still probably a top 20 type pick in the draft.  I just don't think the Suns will easily get even a late 1st for Bledsoe if they wait until the deadline.  Teams just don't trade those like they used to.  But even if they can get a 1st, is a 1st and filler better than Murray, I'm just not so sure about that.  Murray and Booker are obviously a bit repetitive, but in a guard heavy league it isn't so bad to be repetitive when you are talking about good to great shooters and highly skilled offensive players.  Bledsoe just doesn't make sense in Phoenix with that team.  I can't imagine he is on the Suns at the end of the season, so trading him for a young talented player makes a great deal of sense for them.

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Porzingis and Noah works.

Beneficial for both teams. Cavs don't need another PG. Porzingis could bring similar impact Kyrie does for the Cavs. OTOH, Knicks are in dire need for a true PG.

Can you imagine Noah in Cleveland after all he has said?  ;D ;D ;D That's one of the trades the fans would have a veto over

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

The Suns don't want to trade Jackson though, which is where a 3 team trade like that may make some sense.  If they wanted to trade Jackson, Irving might already be a Sun.  Murray wouldn't have gone 7 in this draft, but he was still probably a top 20 type pick in the draft.  I just don't think the Suns will easily get even a late 1st for Bledsoe if they wait until the deadline.  Teams just don't trade those like they used to.  But even if they can get a 1st, is a 1st and filler better than Murray, I'm just not so sure about that.  Murray and Booker are obviously a bit repetitive, but in a guard heavy league it isn't so bad to be repetitive when you are talking about good to great shooters and highly skilled offensive players.  Bledsoe just doesn't make sense in Phoenix with that team.  I can't imagine he is on the Suns at the end of the season, so trading him for a young talented player makes a great deal of sense for them.

So this is your best guess at what Trade happens?

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

So this is your best guess at what Trade happens?
No, though it wouldn't surprise me because it hits most of what Cleveland has been asking for and makes sense for the 3 teams.  I think eventually the Wolves will decide they really want Irving and will put Wiggins on the table.  Wiggins, Aldrich, and Jones for Irving and Felder/Tavares (whichever the Wolves want).  That seems like the most likely trade to me.

Other teams that wouldn't really surprise me as a landing spot (aside from Denver, Phoenix, Minny) would be Utah, NY, LAC, Dallas, or Miami.  I think Boston could make a pretty attractive package but don't think Ainge will and similarly don't think Cleveland would trade Irving to Boston.