Author Topic: How good is Nader? Will he get a lot of minutes?  (Read 5671 times)

Re: How good is Nader? Will he get a lot of minutes?
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2017, 08:55:22 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think he will be exposed against true NBA ballers.   He is not a superb athlete but he is gritty and smart.  Semi has NBA athleticism, the same might not be true of Nader.   I would not mind being wrong but he is heading to James Young minutes this year if he plays any.

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2017, 09:17:44 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I like Nader quite a bit, good length, decent shooter, VERY smart. However, in SL he seemed somewhat deliberate, not the quickest guy, a bit awkward, not great handles, and got lost on defense a bit.  Still, not giving up on him quite yet.  He may only get garbage minutes, but somehow I feel like he will take better advantage of them than James Young did with his.

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2017, 11:39:34 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
I know he's not even guaranteed to be on the roster, but let's say he stays. How good do you think he will be? Will he just be around for garbage time?

Garbage time, but there’s a lot to like.

He needs a lot of work on his legs/hip joints, would help with laterals and getting off the floor.

I think he's solid, but don't know how in the world he gets minutes.

I wouldn’t have said “solid”, but I won’t quibble.  I guess I’d reserve “solid” for journeymen vets who have more experience playing a role. I would say that he’s “skilled”, though.

I think he's solid, but don't know how in the world he gets minutes.
Yeah, this is a deep team and it will be hard for him to get minutes.  Also, kind of a "jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none", it's not like excels at any particular skill.  I see garbage time minutes for him unless there's an injury.

Agree about the depth, but not about his game. What he’s really good at is getting shots in the paint; and he has a variety of floaters from all angles. Supple wrist, and has developed his left hand. The dribble drive game will translate, too; acts decisively, gets into his motion, and has weight and speed to get where he’s going.

1, maybe 2, players will get semi-regular (Green/Zeller level) minutes out of the bottom 6 group including: Nader, Yabusele, Larkin, Theis, Zizic, and Ojeleye. I just have no idea who it/they will be. I suppose Nader has as much of a chance as any of them.

One will also get cut/traded.
i like all around basketball players that get picked late in draft -dwight powell was another

Nader had elite length NBA body and elite with either hand

The fact he got a contract says he could under normal conditions come off the bench-
-Nader is in trouble too much very good depth
SEMI is my new favorite

I think that Ojeleye will get some burn, maybe even before Christmas. Semi guarding bigger players effectively in SL got Brad’s attention. Ainge has given his coach a couple of chances to get a true swing in the rotation - Crowder doesn’t have the height, in my opinion, and so is better as a wing/backup swing.

The future at this position is Tatum, that much is clear - or, at least, it’s his to lose or win, though he does not yet have the weight or experience to start.

He's not an NBA player imo.

I think that he is, but probably not for Boston.

The Celtics might be better served grabbing someone from the waiver wire who might have a skill the C's desperately need (like grabbing rebounds and interior defense or true point guard skills).

I’d guess that at this point neither will happen, and that the team plans to start the season with the status quo.

I think that there’s a chance that the early season will not go well, at least in terms of wins and losses. The loss of two rotation bigs will hurt more than most fans are accounting for.

I see at least 12 players ahead in the rotation. In another team he could be a decent second string SF, so who knows?

Good point, and in addition to the overall depth chart, he’ll compete for minutes with Hayward and Brown, Crowder and Tatum. Boston is now loaded at the wings, and it's going to be a big lift for Nader to get on the floor.

Given his modus operandi last season with Brown’s minutes, predictably Brad Stevens will make plenty of room for Jayson, getting him in the rotation as soon as he can; and clearly they are expecting to expand Brown’s role this season (to starter, I’d expect).

I went crazy in another post and gave Nader 10 minutes/game this year. I did a mediocre job of justifying it.

Your modesty is admirable.

Anyway, he has average handles at best. Great shot though with size to slash..in SL he brought the ball up in a few games PG and played SG a few times also.

“Average handles” - I think that they’re good, AND he needs to tighten up and value the ball more.

Anyway, as the 2017 Celtics are "tall and thick" they no longer need to go "small." Put a group of guys out there with Nader at the point and go "big." 3's 4's and 5's everywhere.

Nader
Crowder
Morris
Horford
Baynes

This is an important discussion that you raise here, and I love the provocative lineup that you propose, with Nader at the point! - though I doubt that we’ll ever see this one on the court.

But I think that the bigs that Danny Ainge added are backups/deep bench - even the journeyman Baynes.  You might be right that Baynes starts (replacing Amir and taking the toughest cover of the opponent’s bigs), though I’m concerned about Horford/Baynes being able to guard on the perimeter.  Baynes, at any rate, will defensive rebound better than Johnson did.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 07:24:00 PM by ThePaintedArea »

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2017, 01:40:52 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
SEMI is my new favorite

So you're breaking up with Nader?   :'(
Yeah this is really a shocker coming from rollie.  I feel betrayed after he convinced me to jump on the Nader bandwagon when no one else was supporting the kid the way rollie did.

Semi, huh rollie...frankly I didn't think he had a great SL...he's a tweener...please enlighten us.

It was better than Nader's, who was horrendous finishing at the rim against D league talent with either hand and was a worse shooter and way worse defender than Semi. Looked like a ball hog who couldn't finish and looked worse than last years SL.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2017, 02:07:25 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
I liked Nader last year as he outplayed James Young and Jordan Mickey.  This year I see no real use for him--deep insurance in case of lots of injuries?  He will need to show stronger in pre-season than he did in summer league to get any playing time.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2017, 05:11:16 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Elephant in the room... he kinda makes Tatum redundant.

Sure, in the sense that Rozier kinda made IT redundant last year.

Tatum and Nader are on totally different levels as prospects.

I was assuming tarheels was joking...at least I hope so  :o
"If there is an elephant in the room, it's because he brought one."  ~The most interesting man in the world.  Stay thirsty mis amigos.

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2017, 06:41:53 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I think Nader might go the route of Etwann Moore, not fit for c's but be on team(s) for a few years as a solid bench guy.