Author Topic: Beginning of the end: Irving not talking to Cavs  (Read 6109 times)

Beginning of the end: Irving not talking to Cavs
« on: July 27, 2017, 01:38:25 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Courtesy of saltlover the latest in the Cleveland saga is that Irving and Gilbert have not even been in contact since the trade demand

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2017/7/27/16050678/kyrie-irving-trade-rumors-cavs-have-not-spoken

This looks particularly brutal yesterday on the heels of Gilbert trying to say he thought this could work out and Irving would stay yesterday.

"The Cavs have unsuccessfully tried to contact Irving, multiple sources with knowledge of the situation told The Athletic, but he is not talking to anyone from the organization.

He has said enough already."

Re: Beginning of the end: Irving not talking to Cavs
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 01:47:49 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
He has no real reason to talk the Cavs unless he has changed his mind on the trade (which he obviously hasn't).  I'd be much more interested if James or Irving was reaching out to the other with no response (not that I think either has reached out to the other).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 01:53:53 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
He has no real reason to talk the Cavs unless he has changed his mind on the trade (which he obviously hasn't).  I'd be much more interested if James or Irving was reaching out to the other with no response (not that I think either has reached out to the other).

Didn't it sound like Gilbert thought he could change his mind yesterday?

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 02:04:17 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Sure he has reason to talk to the Cavs.  They can trade him to any of 29 teams.  If he has a preference on where to go, which he reportedly does, it's absolutely in his best interest to keep the lines of communication open.

"We have a deal with San Antonio, but they want to talk to you about whether you'll pick up your option year."  No answer.

"Miami wants to know if you'll waive your trade bonus."  No answer.

"The Knicks have new management and want to talk with you first."  No answer.

"Okay, Sacramento it is, then!"
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 02:18:08 PM by saltlover »

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 02:37:17 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Sure he has reason to talk to the Cavs.  They can trade him to any of 29 teams.  If he has a preference on where to go, which he reportedly does, it's absolutely in his best interest to keep the lines of communication open.

"We have a deal with San Antonio, but they want to talk to you about whether you'll pick up your option year."  No answer.

He would know about those though because those teams would reach out to his agent (through back channels if necessary).

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 02:49:43 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

He would know about those though because those teams would reach out to his agent (through back channels if necessary).

Not for those type of questions, they wouldn't.  People are obsessed with backchannels, but that would be straight-up tampering, and it would be found out.  Backchannels are for setting up free agency meetings, and maybe having an idea on what salary negotiations will start at.  They are not for what you're talking about.

Gilbert clearly has a vindictive streak in him -- if he found out there were such communications, he'd make a huge issue out of it, probably costing the other team draft picks and fines.

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 02:52:03 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Not for those type of questions, they wouldn't.  People are obsessed with backchannels, but that would be straight-up tampering, and it would be found out.  Backchannels are for setting up free agency meetings, and maybe having an idea on what salary negotiations will start at.  They are not for what you're talking about.

Gilbert clearly has a vindictive streak in him -- if he found out there were such communications, he'd make a huge issue out of it, probably costing the other team draft picks and fines.

Yeah I have to agree with Saltlover on this one. The "everything will work out fine in Cleveland" routine becomes more comical by the day. Just celebrate our biggest threat in the east imploding Moranis... It is a great time to be a Celtics fan.. .

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 03:14:30 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

They aren't trying to call him now, to tell him of a trade.  They are trying to call him now to get him to change his mind.  That seems pretty apparent from the press conference yesterday.  Trade particulars like you are discussing don't generally just come out of the blue especially when the player has demanded a trade.  Besides the Cavs (or the other team for that matter) can leak things to the press (i.e. a trade is imminent just a few details left to be worked out with Kyrie).  Heck the Cavs could just call his agent and if no answer leave a voicemail that says hey we are close on a trade, we need to work out some things get back to us.  I can't imagine Irving would just ignore that sort of VM.  Irving has no reason to talk to the Cavs right now unless a trade is imminent.  Now if a trade is imminent and he is ignoring the Cavs he deserves to be traded to Sacto, but that just doesn't seem all that likely (and let's face it the Cavs are going to trade him to the team that gives them the best deal).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 03:53:01 PM by Moranis »

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 03:21:50 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Teams use their own players to have those back channels. Players can always talk to each other, so yeah it happens.

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 03:43:43 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Is there an official trade deadline date besides the one in Feb? Or do teams just make sure that they take care of this stuff before training camp?  Otherwise, the Cavs don't need to make any decisions on this for a few months.

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 03:58:50 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
It sounds to me like Irving was talking to the Cavs until this leaked out.  Now he is miffed.  I would be too.  Having a chip on his shoulder (or perhaps more like a 2 x 4) should make him a better player.  He will benefit from some more grit or whatever you want to call it.

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 04:20:01 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Anyone else getting fatigued with the Irving drama?  I know we are talking about a potential seismic shift in the league, but really the speculation is getting boring.

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 04:23:50 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I wonder if the Cavs have their own forum?   

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 04:26:09 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Yeah I have to agree with Saltlover on this one. The "everything will work out fine in Cleveland" routine becomes more comical by the day. Just celebrate our biggest threat in the east imploding Moranis... It is a great time to be a Celtics fan.. .

Lol.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 04:33:08 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Anyone else getting fatigued with the Irving drama?  I know we are talking about a potential seismic shift in the league, but really the speculation is getting boring.

It is completely the dog days of summer. There really is not anything else to discuss...