Author Topic: Collection of what scouts say about Tatum  (Read 5780 times)

Collection of what scouts say about Tatum
« on: July 27, 2017, 12:22:03 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2723568-nba-scouts-dish-on-boston-celtics-rookie-jayson-tatum

Basically the few concerns are:
-Does he stop the ball
-Can he shoot the 3 better or more consistently
-does he force taking low percentage shots instead of passing
-will he reach his ceiling

These concerns can be fixed by proper coaching and development. Not a better coach than Stevens.
They say he could either become pierce/Anthony/Hayward Or worse case is a Harrison barnes
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 12:53:09 PM by CelticsElite »

Re: Collection of what scouts say about Tatum
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 12:26:59 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I think the analyses are fairly accurate.  Can he develop the NBA 3?  I'd say yes, as he is a good shooter overall.  Can he reach his ceiling?  Again, has all the markings of a hard worker that will maximize his ability.

The one question mark I do see is the question of being a ball stopper.  I think that is a fairly accurate knock having watched him a lot at dook.  He ruffled quite a few feathers with teammates but to be fair, that might have been because the upper classmen were threatened by him.  But about the middle of the season, fans were frustrated with him too.  So there is probably something to that question mark.

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 12:27:23 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Just saw this...TP!

From the article...

He's guilty of "relying on low-percentage looks and a tendency to halt ball movement."

I am hoping that he grows out of those bad habits...especially because he's so young.

With his offensive skills...if he can be a decent to good passer, rebounder, and defender...he could be a superstar (IMO).

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 12:38:29 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think the reliance on poor shots is just a carry over from being a young guy who would have easily dominanted everyone at high school level where those shots weren't bad, and even to a certain degree at college level. With Coach Stevens instructing him I think he can be deadly though.

Stevens turned AB, a guy who (in the Jordan Crawford and Kris Humphries days) would just launch ill advised deep 2's, into a pretty efficient third option scorer. He'll do wonders with JT.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 01:42:50 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I also agree with the ball-stopper/poor shots concern, but his upside should obliterate that as a real issue.

With Jaylen already showing him the ropes and Stevens being very likely to yank him if he does something foolish, he should be able to correct this 'habit' (if it really is a habit).

Being able to take and make difficult shots can also be seen as a real plus, as well. I am very excited about the present and future of this team and hopefully Tatum can fulfill his potential.

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 01:46:43 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I also agree with the ball-stopper/poor shots concern, but his upside should obliterate that as a real issue.

With Jaylen already showing him the ropes and Stevens being very likely to yank him if he does something foolish, he should be able to correct this 'habit' (if it really is a habit).

Being able to take and make difficult shots can also be seen as a real plus, as well. I am very excited about the present and future of this team and hopefully Tatum can fulfill his potential.

That's key. He's joining an ECF team with Gordon Hayward ahead of him. He'll either play great D and move the ball or ride the pine. Very different than most top rooks..

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 01:48:14 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I like Tatum's potential on both ends and also on the boards.

I think his defense is very underrated, and that he has a chance to be very good on that end.  He has long arms, a wide upper body to guard bigger guys eventually, quick hands, plays the passing lanes well, and is a high-IQ guy. 

If his offense can become more efficient (which it will under Brad Stevens), he gets more consistent from three, and starts passing a little bit, he will be a star in this league.

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 05:03:42 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Tatum may be a ball-stopper now but I see an opportunity for him to pulverize in the mid-range a la Derozan.

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 06:05:26 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Tatum may be a ball-stopper now but I see an opportunity for him to pulverize in the mid-range a la Derozan.
same here. And since he will come off the bench, it doesn't matter that he will stop the ball a lot. He can play that Evan turner role and eventually be coached to pass better.

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 06:06:23 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
I like Tatum's potential on both ends and also on the boards.

I think his defense is very underrated, and that he has a chance to be very good on that end.  He has long arms, a wide upper body to guard bigger guys eventually, quick hands, plays the passing lanes well, and is a high-IQ guy. 

If his offense can become more efficient (which it will under Brad Stevens), he gets more consistent from three, and starts passing a little bit, he will be a star in this league.
tp

Coaching is overlooked in this league. Stevens is clearly really good at developing young guys

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 07:37:17 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
He did stop the the ball in SL, but SL is a stage where everyone with anything to show at all, takes that approach if they can. If he took the passive route everyone would be complaining that we let Fultz get away.

It was obvious that he had the ability to score the ball in several different ways, he showed to have way above average athletic ability, and be in smart rebounding position too. I'm happy with that for now.

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 08:42:31 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
These scouting reports were not very impressive. Just stating some of the obvious. Not making an effort to project him in the NBA.

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 09:16:08 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
These scouting reports are bullsh*t.  Paul Pierce was a ball stopper.

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 09:17:47 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
I think we will be able to see right away if he can get those shots off against legit NBA athletes.  He seems so unexplosive to me.  In wonder if those fade aways get off at the same trajectory.

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 10:06:33 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
You can see he has the ability to have to total package. It's going to be up to him to get there, and people are going to have to remember, he JUST turned 19.

He looked way better his first SL than Brown did, and I'm not saying he's going to be better this season, but it put a lot at ease. At least till the preseason.

He's young enough were any issues should be able to be curved. If he gets around 3/3.5apg I'd be happy. It was hard to judge him sometimes with his assists because he wasn't really playing with knock down shooters, and I don't expect him to ever really be a play maker, but hit the open guy when he gets double teamed.

He's go work to do, but I really liked what I saw in SL.