Author Topic: Prediction for the Cavs this season  (Read 1312 times)

Prediction for the Cavs this season
« on: July 27, 2017, 11:52:42 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
End of the Day I predict we see Irving and Love that represents a last ditch effort to keep Lebron in town and land Bledsoe and Melo. I also want to predict a Wade buyout that sends him to the Cavs.

If all goes according to plan that could give us a interesting playoff series of the Youthful Celtics vs an aged super team Cavs

Matchups

IT                   Bledsoe
Hayward        Wade
Crowder         Lebron
Morris             Melo
Horford          Thompson

Smart            Rose
Brown           Korver
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Prediction for the Cavs this season
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 11:56:54 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
That Cavs team is both incredibly injury prone and very old. I like our chances.

I hope something like this happens so we can smack LBJ and Wade.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 12:37:18 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
End of the Day I predict we see Irving and Love that represents a last ditch effort to keep Lebron in town and land Bledsoe and Melo. I also want to predict a Wade buyout that sends him to the Cavs.

If all goes according to plan that could give us a interesting playoff series of the Youthful Celtics vs an aged super team Cavs

Matchups

Hayward        Wade
Crowder         Lebron
Morris             Melo

Smart            Rose
Brown           Korver
So the Cavs are going to trade Love for Melo?  Don't see that at all.  I'm also on record stating that Kyrie will likely not go anywhere.  But if he does, it might be for bledsoe and maybe even Josh Jackson.  Having added Rose, the Cavs might even be better than last year.

But yes, injuries would be a concern.

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 12:56:11 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Matchups

Hayward        Wade
Crowder         Lebron
Morris             Melo

Smart            Rose
Brown           Korver

I think that team would have a chance of breaking the league record for oldest team in NBA history set by the Knicks a few years. They currently have 5 players under 30 that will definitely be on the roster opening day if there are no trades (Thompson, Irving, Osman, Love, Shumpert, Rose). These trades would presumably get rid of Shumpert, Love and Irving and replace them with a 33 year old Carmelo and a soon to be 36 year  Dwayne Wade. Worse 2 of their future youngish guys (bledsoe and Rose) would be extremely injury prone. That team would be decimated by injuries before the playoffs even started.

BTW it seems that Anthony has really locked into the idea of going to Houston, so, unfortunately this seems pretty unlikely he ends up there. You could at least see Carmelo filling a role of small ball 4 if Love leaves. However, why would they even want Rose? Would Rose be comfortable coming off the bench behind a 35 year old Wade on a make good contract year? Why would they want Bledsoe, Rose and Wade and Carmelo and Lebron? Those pieces don't fit at all. The crazy thing is I could see the Cavs doing these sorts of crazy moves to appease Lebron, but then it would blow up in real life. 

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 01:10:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
If the Cavs are trading Irving to NY, I think it will be something that is a big trade (i.e. lots of players).

Something like this:

Irving, Smith, Shumpert

for

Anthony, O'Quinn, Hernangomez, Kuzminskas, 2018 1st (with some level of protections)

I think if that trade goes down, then a trade with Phoenix makes some sense and something like this might work

Love, Frye, Felder, Tavares, Jefferson

for

Bledsoe, Dudley, Jackson, and Knight

Cavs agree to take on the injured Knight and his bloated contract in order to land Jackson as part of the trade. 

That would leave the Cavs, post-all moves

PG's - Bledsoe, Rose, Calderon, Knight?
Wings - Korver, Dudley, Jackson, Osman
Swings - James, Anthony, Green, Kuzminskas
Bigs - Thompson, Hernangomez, O'Quinn

So that is a pretty solid 15 man team and gives the Cavs some young fresh legs on their bench in Jackson, Hernangomez, Kuzminskas, Osman, and O'Quinn (though the latter isn't all that young). 

To be clear I don't think either of those trades are all that likely, but that would seemingly make some sense for the Cavs. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 01:22:36 PM »

Online mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
It's very easy. Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSPNQ82Sq4E

Mike

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 01:32:08 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Kyrie apparently is giving the Cavs the silent treatment.  It's going to be very difficult for the Cavs to get commensurate value for him, especially short-term value, and they're pretty neat the point of bridges being completely burned, if they aren't there already.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2017/7/27/16050678/kyrie-irving-trade-rumors-cavs-have-not-spoken

LeBron has been to 7 finals in a row, so the Cavs are still the favorites in the East until he either leaves or is dethroned, but they're in a very precarious spot at this point.

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 01:34:44 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
If the Cavs are trading Irving to NY, I think it will be something that is a big trade (i.e. lots of players).

Something like this:

Irving, Smith, Shumpert

for

Anthony, O'Quinn, Hernangomez, Kuzminskas, 2018 1st (with some level of protections)

I think if that trade goes down, then a trade with Phoenix makes some sense and something like this might work

Love, Frye, Felder, Tavares, Jefferson

for

Bledsoe, Dudley, Jackson, and Knight

Cavs agree to take on the injured Knight and his bloated contract in order to land Jackson as part of the trade. 

That would leave the Cavs, post-all moves

PG's - Bledsoe, Rose, Calderon, Knight?
Wings - Korver, Dudley, Jackson, Osman
Swings - James, Anthony, Green, Kuzminskas
Bigs - Thompson, Hernangomez, O'Quinn

So that is a pretty solid 15 man team and gives the Cavs some young fresh legs on their bench in Jackson, Hernangomez, Kuzminskas, Osman, and O'Quinn (though the latter isn't all that young). 

To be clear I don't think either of those trades are all that likely, but that would seemingly make some sense for the Cavs.

A team starting Bledsoe, Rose, James, Anthony and Thompson as the starting lineup and a pretty weak bench highlighted by 37 year old Korver, Dudley and Hernangomez is probably the 3rd best team in the east, perhaps 4th. The only surefire all-star on that team is James.

Throw in the fact that Rose hasn't played more than 66 games in a season since 2010-2011 and an injury forces Calderon into a major role and that could quickly become a disaster! Would love it if these trades happened.

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 01:36:56 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Kyrie apparently is giving the Cavs the silent treatment.  It's going to be very difficult for the Cavs to get commensurate value for him, especially short-term value, and they're pretty neat the point of bridges being completely burned, if they aren't there already.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2017/7/27/16050678/kyrie-irving-trade-rumors-cavs-have-not-spoken

LeBron has been to 7 finals in a row, so the Cavs are still the favorites in the East until he either leaves or is dethroned, but they're in a very precarious spot at this point.

This probably warrants it's own thread...

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 02:19:28 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
My guess is, if Cavs management know Lebron is leaving, they will work their rebuild somewhat more wisely. Granted, no great track record, but, with a plan they can come out of this era with something more than Wade, Rose and a bunch of bench guys.

In the meantime, should Irving shoot his way out of town and Cavs get a good PG out of it? The matchups are better, but not 20 freaking points a game better.

The answer this year's Celtics roster has for this year's Cav's + Irving's replacement is Hayward and Baynes (assuming Baynes starts) and a better bench, than last year.

I am not going to "assume" the Celtics can beat the Cav's this year barring an injury. They got destroyed by the Cavs this last season. Last regular season game plus 5 playoffs games(points/record below). Don't come out of that kind of beat down with anything, but, happiness that we have a reworked roster...that last one didn't get it done did it?

1-5
716-593

The Celtics couldn't shoot or defend...at all.

I would prefer to be the "scrappy underdog looking for payback" that has a chance of beating a team that we do not match up with well, than some kind of understated favorite.

Kyrie leaving doesn't mean much to me. Lebron leaving means Celtics get to be one of ECF favorites.