Author Topic: ESPN (McMenamin): Butler and Towns pushing wolves to trade for Kyrie  (Read 4717 times)

Re: ESPN (McMenamin): Butler and Towns pushing wolves to trade for Kyrie
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2017, 09:38:41 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Good trade for Cleveland. Bad for Minnesota.

Teague + Wiggins > Teague + Kyrie

LeBron + Wiggins + K-Love > LeBron + Kyrie + K-Love

Minnesota should be patient and continue to develop Wiggins. He can be a very good player once (if) he can improve his defense. Kyrie's lack of development over past few years is more concerning than Wiggins' slow improvement. I'd rather bet on the younger guy with more size and athleticism (Wiggins).
I agree with this. Wiggins can still grow into quite a solid defender. Kyrie seems to have made almost no improvement on that end of the court.

In addition to that, Wiggins fits better next to Butler and Towns I believe, as Teague and Kyrie would be quite weak defensively together.

Also the fact it's harder to get a quality wing than PG.  They should wait and maybe use Teague and other assets to upgrade PG later on if they can.

A Teague Irving backcourt does not seem like a good mix.

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2017, 09:41:33 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Getting Irving out of the EC will help but:

James

Love

Thompson

Rose

Wiggins

That will still be a tough playoff out for us.

Of course it will be. Lebron with anyone will be a tough out.

It might actually be a good trade year 1 for Cleveland, but long-term, I think it makes no sense at all. Irving is a markedly better player than Wiggins. But then, if LBJ is leaving, CLE might not really care about long-term.

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2017, 10:16:26 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I don't think Gilbert will want Wiggins mostly because he's looking at a 148mill extension according to some rumors. And Gilbert don't like to spend money if he doesn't have to. And with Lebron/Love/Thompson still on payroll, I doubt he's going to spend it on a 22 year old who isn't lighting the world on fire. And not knowing whats going to happen next season could keep that deal from going through. And Lebron ins't really going to want to roll into the playoffs with his possibly second best scorer not having ANY playoff experience.

But this is wear DA's phone call comes in. While unlikely and a long shot, DA could be a third party taking on Wiggins.

Cavs get - Crowder/Rozier/Deng

Mini get- Irving/Jeffeson

Bos get-Wiggins

Cavs get two guys with playoff experience, Crowder a good back up to Lebron and can play PF, Rozier can back up Rose, and probably take over for him when he goes down, and he will go down at some point. And they get a little longer wit Deng. This also sures up some roster space with cheap players in case Lebron bolts next season.

Mini gets their guy, a vet wing, they do get weak in the PF department, but not my problem. LOL

Why would Bos want Wiggins with Brown and Tatum? More wing length and offense. But the real reason is his next contract next season. And no we don't keep him. This is the taking a risk part of the deal. S&T for AD if things go south in NO. We can use Wiggins contract, he's a young guy with experience, add the Nets and hopefully LA pick, how many teams can beat that?

This way we could keep Brown and Tatum to be young guys next to AD for the second wave of this rebuild.

And no I don't think this will happen, I could see it happen, but a lot of stars would have to line up for it, but it does make sense for all teams to a point, and yes some one will lose in the deal, and yes the C's and Mini really win, but why would I make up a deal that we lose? LOL

Oh and the Cavs can get a better deal than what they can with Mini most likely, so I don't see this happening.

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2017, 10:48:22 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
I don't think Gilbert will want Wiggins mostly because he's looking at a 148mill extension according to some rumors. And Gilbert don't like to spend money if he doesn't have to. And with Lebron/Love/Thompson still on payroll, I doubt he's going to spend it on a 22 year old who isn't lighting the world on fire. And not knowing whats going to happen next season could keep that deal from going through. And Lebron ins't really going to want to roll into the playoffs with his possibly second best scorer not having ANY playoff experience.

But this is wear DA's phone call comes in. While unlikely and a long shot, DA could be a third party taking on Wiggins.

Bos get-Wiggins

Cavs get two guys with playoff experience, Crowder a good back up to Lebron and can play PF, Rozier can back up Rose, and probably take over for him when he goes down, and he will go down at some point. And they get a little longer wit Deng. This also sures up some roster space with cheap players in case Lebron bolts next season.

Mini gets their guy, a vet wing, they do get weak in the PF department, but not my problem. LOL

Why would Bos want Wiggins with Brown and Tatum? More wing length and offense. But the real reason is his next contract next season. And no we don't keep him. This is the taking a risk part of the deal. S&T for AD if things go south in NO. We can use Wiggins contract, he's a young guy with experience, add the Nets and hopefully LA pick, how many teams can beat that?

This way we could keep Brown and Tatum to be young guys next to AD for the second wave of this rebuild.

And no I don't think this will happen, I could see it happen, but a lot of stars would have to line up for it, but it does make sense for all teams to a point, and yes some one will lose in the deal, and yes the C's and Mini really win, but why would I make up a deal that we lose? LOL

Oh and the Cavs can get a better deal than what they can with Mini most likely, so I don't see this happening.
Wiggins is a score only player who will want big money, I will not give up TR+JC for him

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2017, 11:27:33 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
We wouldn't keep Wiggins. That would be the risk part is you flip him in a S&T for AD. IF you can't we are only out Crowder and Rozier and thats a risk I'm make, because with Crowders play at the end of the season you're not giving up much, and worse case is Wiggins is a energy scorer off the bench.

I get people want things right now, but this is a two part tade, were Stevens makes Wiggins look much better on a winning team than he is, and DA moves him for the Elite prize that puts us over the top and gives NO a good starting package in a rebuild.

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 11:35:56 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Gilbert has spent more money than any other owner in the NBA in the last 3 years.  He has always shown the ability and willingness to spend and spend a lot of money.  What he doesn't do is spend money on the GM, because he just doesn't value that position like others teams do (which I personally think is silly). 

Wiggins is still on his rookie contract and has been better than Irving was at the same respective ages.  Irving is a better player now, but not appreciably better and Wiggins should pass him up.  I mean it isn't like Irving is a better defender than Wiggins, he isn't.  And just for some evidence here is the 3rd year for both Wiggins and Irving

23.6 p, 4.0 r, 2.3 a, 1.0 s, 0.4 b, 2.3 t, 2.2 f, 47.3 2PT, 35.6 3PT, 76.0 FT - 82 games, 37.2 mpg
20.8 p, 3.6 r, 6.1 a, 1.5 s, 0.3 b, 2.7 t, 2.3 f, 45.8 2PT, 35.8 3PT, 86.1 FT - 71 games, 35.2 mpg

both teams were low 30's win teams so it isn't like one was on a winner and one wasn't. 

Now you tell me, which player would you rather have given those 3rd year numbers.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 12:51:22 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2017, 12:10:05 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

Bos get-Wiggins

Wiggins is a score only player who will want big money, I will not give up TR+JC for him

There is no way the Cavs move Kyrie for just Crowder and Trozier.  It would take more then just Wiggins to get Kyrie as well.  I love the lopsided trades in the C's favor.  The Cavs would want IT in any deal.  IT, Crowder and a pick is what the Cavs would ask IMO.  Boston does not fit as a trade partner IMO.

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2017, 12:38:37 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
We wouldn't keep Wiggins. That would be the risk part is you flip him in a S&T for AD. IF you can't we are only out Crowder and Rozier and thats a risk I'm make, because with Crowders play at the end of the season you're not giving up much, and worse case is Wiggins is a energy scorer off the bench.

I get people want things right now, but this is a two part tade, were Stevens makes Wiggins look much better on a winning team than he is, and DA moves him for the Elite prize that puts us over the top and gives NO a good starting package in a rebuild.

I think we could keep Wiggins since he would be a RFA and not just a FA. Why not just deal with the Wolves directly.  Crowder, Rozier or Smart, and a non Nets/Lakers pick for Wiggins. 

Our ownership has openly said they are willing to go into the tax.  I wonder if the Wolves are willing to pay big money for Wiggins.

Tatum, Brown, and Wiggins our wings of the future. Perfect for Stevens positionless ball. Ha

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2017, 12:52:37 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I think we could keep Wiggins since he would be a RFA and not just a FA. Why not just deal with the Wolves directly.  Crowder, Rozier or Smart, and a non Nets/Lakers pick for Wiggins. 

Our ownership has openly said they are willing to go into the tax.  I wonder if the Wolves are willing to pay big money for Wiggins.

Tatum, Brown, and Wiggins our wings of the future. Perfect for Stevens positionless ball. Ha
They are and they aren't going to move Wiggins for that collection of role players.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2017, 01:52:43 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville