Author Topic: 2018 NBA Draft  (Read 11088 times)

Re: 2018 NBA Draft
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2017, 06:12:41 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Marvin Bagley has officially submitted his paperwork

https://twitter.com/evandaniels/status/891047090490494978
'

Huge for our picks next year. Don't Go Nets and Fakers!!!!

« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2017, 08:00:09 PM »

Offline MichaelJ

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
Bagley & Doncic  8)

« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2017, 08:15:31 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Bagley
Porter
Doncic
Ayton
Bamba
Colin Sexton
The two returners Myles Bridges and Robert Williams
Wendell Carter and Jaren Jackson could easily turn into playoff caliber starters,

Future's bright, just can't see a world where neither of the Nets or Lakers are a bottom 5 team.

« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2017, 10:14:00 AM »

Offline dweeks7

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
Not to be negative but once a person has a hip injury it's going to be an ongoing issue. Hopefully he can play through the discomfort. I so wanted the celtics to offer a package to the Knicks at 8 or the Chicago at 7 to get Dennis Smith. Maybe even give up the Lakers/kings pick and some players to get Dennis Smith. It would have been awesome to get Dennis Smith and Jayson Tatum for essentially the number one pick and another player or two assuming Chicago or New York would have cooperated. I do like the Collin Sexton kid coming out next year if we don't draft top 5 for one of the other top players available. I am thinking all of these scenarios because I think Isaiah is going to have injury concerns going forward. I would love to be wrong.

« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2017, 10:54:33 AM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Danny checking out one of his consolation prizes wingspan lol

Even Danny knows we will be at the top. Wasting no time

TP. Great photo!

« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2017, 12:22:07 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
If Bagley is in next years draft then I would petition the league to combine the Nets and LAL ping pong balls into one big ping pong ball and just forfeit the other pick. He's that worth it.
Before anyone says it's not possible...I KNOW! But I would still do it if the offer was there.
What?  What you're proposing is no different from what we have now as far as the #1 pick goes.  And it's worse if you want to give up the second pick.

« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2017, 04:36:13 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I just read on a Kentucky bball blog that Bagley has a 4.0 GPA... Can anyone confirm? If this is true, I see very little reason why they would deny his petition to go to college next year. Hell, the NCAA bends over backwards to let non-students attend class to sell tickets. Why would they oppose an actual student who is looking to fast track his career?

If they reject Bagley's case, I would love it if he played in Europe for a year before joining the association. This would stick it to the highly paid admins and hopefully set the record straight: the athletes, not the administrators, are the talent and call the shots. Some grey hair sitting behind a desk should have very little influence over a talented young person's career, in my opinion.

« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2017, 04:47:53 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I just read on a Kentucky bball blog that Bagley has a 4.0 GPA... Can anyone confirm? If this is true, I see very little reason why they would deny his petition to go to college next year. Hell, the NCAA bends over backwards to let non-students attend class to sell tickets. Why would they oppose an actual student who is looking to fast track his career?

If they reject Bagley's case, I would love it if he played in Europe for a year before joining the association. This would stick it to the highly paid admins and hopefully set the record straight: the athletes, not the administrators, are the talent and call the shots. Some grey hair sitting behind a desk should have very little influence over a talented young person's career, in my opinion.

If I'm not mistaken (and I easily could be,) I believe it is a function of having ENOUGH classes to count as graduating high school (in the eyes of the NCAA) along with having taken the SAT (or the other one.) I have also heard that Bagley is a very good student (Not exactly hard at the HS level,but is great nonetheless.)

The fact that he and his camp are attempting this process leads me to believe that they have good reason to suspect it will be possible. And if they do decline him, forget the NCAA and go overseas. I'd see if a middling Spanish team would give him the minutes to succeed (instead of doing that whole "oh we only play vets" thing that some European teams do.)

Edit: student athletes have to meet 16 core classes before they are considered to graduate in the eyes of the ncaa

Source: http://www.athleticscholarships.net/2012/07/13/reclassifying-important-info-consider.htm
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 05:01:16 PM by A Future of Stevens »
#JKJB

« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2017, 05:17:19 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Bagley fits very nicely at the 4 for us.

« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2017, 05:31:38 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Not to be negative but once a person has a hip injury it's going to be an ongoing issue. Hopefully he can play through the discomfort. I so wanted the celtics to offer a package to the Knicks at 8 or the Chicago at 7 to get Dennis Smith. Maybe even give up the Lakers/kings pick and some players to get Dennis Smith. It would have been awesome to get Dennis Smith and Jayson Tatum for essentially the number one pick and another player or two assuming Chicago or New York would have cooperated. I do like the Collin Sexton kid coming out next year if we don't draft top 5 for one of the other top players available. I am thinking all of these scenarios because I think Isaiah is going to have injury concerns going forward. I would love to be wrong.

Dennis Smith Jr. has already torn his ACL.

« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2017, 05:50:15 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

If he does in fact get rejected( highly unlikely), hell go overseas. No way he goes back to HS, he wants to be in the 2018 draft no matter what. That's another year of massive earning potential.

Give me one of Porter/Bagley and Doncic and were set  long term

« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2017, 06:04:34 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

If he does in fact get rejected( highly unlikely), hell go overseas. No way he goes back to HS, he wants to be in the 2018 draft no matter what. That's another year of massive earning potential.

It sounds like he can jump into the next draft, even if he doesn't play in the NCAA? So would he still just have to get his GED? Does graduating high school even matter?

If he's smart enough to get all A's (which btw is not an easy thing to do), he's prob smart enough to realize that he can always go back to school. He is likely already famous enough to get into good schools on his reputation alone, even if he didn't dribble another basketball.

For me, it would be a no brainer. Make money ASAP, and worry about degrees later. One terrible injury and it could be all over for him.

My 2018 Big Board:

Bagley- should be awesome
Porter- also should be awesome
Ayton- has a prototypical NBA body
Bamba- great length
Robert Williams- great athleticism
Doncic- has already looked good in pro ball

Unless Brooklyn drastically improves, or the ping pong balls get wacky, the Celtics have a legit chance of securing one of these 6 players.

btw- I'm much more excited about the top 4 above than I ever was about Markelle Fultz.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 06:09:46 PM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2017, 07:21:11 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

It sounds like he can jump into the next draft, even if he doesn't play in the NCAA? So would he still just have to get his GED? Does graduating high school even matter?

If he's smart enough to get all A's (which btw is not an easy thing to do), he's prob smart enough to realize that he can always go back to school. He is likely already famous enough to get into good schools on his reputation alone, even if he didn't dribble another basketball.

For me, it would be a no brainer. Make money ASAP, and worry about degrees later. One terrible injury and it could be all over for him.

My 2018 Big Board:

Bagley- should be awesome
Porter- also should be awesome
Ayton- has a prototypical NBA body
Bamba- great length
Robert Williams- great athleticism
Doncic- has already looked good in pro ball

Unless Brooklyn drastically improves, or the ping pong balls get wacky, the Celtics have a legit chance of securing one of these 6 players.

btw- I'm much more excited about the top 4 above than I ever was about Markelle Fultz.

Honestly cant understand how anyone can look at this roster and see anything other than the worst team in the league:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BRK/2018.html

Is there a guy there that would start for any other team? Even the much balleyhooed Grabbe has a negative BPM. Lol they will be horrendous..

« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2017, 07:48:39 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
I think that they need a couple of players to develop beyond where they are next year to climb out of the basement for '17-18:

-Russell
-RHJ
-Booker
-Lavert

I think we know what they have in Lin, Mozgev, Carroll, and Crabbe.

I don't think this is a good team, but a mid-season trade + player development is possible.