Author Topic: Report: IT will not need to undergo surgery on his hip  (Read 3543 times)

Re: Report: IT will not need to undergo surgery on his hip
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 09:17:32 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
IT takes a beating like no one I have ever seen.

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 09:50:45 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Im hoping a more in-depth report is forthcoming. My understanding  - when the news broke of the injury -  was that there a structural problem with the hip arising from a genetic abnormality in how the ball and socket formed. I'd be curious to know how this is remedied without surgery. Not to sound pessimistic as I'm not a doctor, but it is interesting how this will be prevented from recurring without addressing the structural issue.
Same here.  We heard this news already a week ago and that's the first thing that came to my mind.  My theory is that he does need surgery to fix the underlying issue, but IT is insisting on avoiding it, knowing he is going into a contract year and can handle this level of pain.

No way the new medical/training staff have done anything miraculous already.  That's just silly thinking.

But he couldn't withstand the pain.

I don't understand it either, but I would think he rather miss a month or two and come back and dominate vs risk breaking down towards the end of the season again. The former would garner a larger contract than the latter, so I hope that wasn't his rationale.

I'm sure he got multiple opinions and the C's wouldn't let him be selfish in this situation.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2017, 02:57:44 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
All this means, as a fellow torn labrum victim, is that he's done enough PT to move through the pain or minimize the pain. The tear doesn't heal without surgery. He will have to keep up with his PT, pre and post-game healing routines, etc. I doubt he plays in back-to-backs. (comment  I read on another board)

I read an interview where Brad mentioned that Isaiah has had this injury since he was very young. It seems crazy that he's never had it operated on.

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2017, 05:32:44 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
He is going to have to manage this all year as well as for rest of his career and then wants max $?

I'd consider dealing him if Smart looks capable of starting this year.
Let's see how the first month goes.

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2017, 11:46:01 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
IT takes a beating like no one I have ever seen.

Everyone has a different pain tolerance. Playing in pain is far from an ideal situation long term for any player. IMO eventually he'll suddenly announce he needs to have surgery.

IT is a player that gets knocked to the floor more than any other player in the NBA, I just wonder how long it will be before he begins to play more cautiously. Maybe avoiding going to the hole, and settling for contested jump shots or simply passing off.  Honestly, I just don't like the sound of this whole thing long term.

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 11:48:05 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He is going to have to manage this all year as well as for rest of his career and then wants max $?

I'd consider dealing him if Smart looks capable of starting this year.
Let's see how the first month goes.
Smart would have to take insane strides in his offensive game to even come close to putting Boston in a situation where trading IT is a good move.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)