Author Topic: Report: IT will not need to undergo surgery on his hip  (Read 3542 times)

Report: IT will not need to undergo surgery on his hip
« on: July 26, 2017, 12:03:43 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
http://twitter.com/ByJayKing/status/890236831056396288

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2017/07/26/celtics-guard-isaiah-thomas-will-not-need-hip-surgery/tYNtcMkgmFH8JaTKXt6YoO/amp.html

Great news for us. The report states that he should be ready in time for training camp, which is great news for us figuring that we will need most of the season to develop chemistry with so many new players.

Re: Report: IT will not need to undergo surgery on his hip
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 12:14:55 PM »

Offline Rick Robeys Return

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
  • The bringer of DJ
Im hoping a more in-depth report is forthcoming. My understanding  - when the news broke of the injury -  was that there a structural problem with the hip arising from a genetic abnormality in how the ball and socket formed. I'd be curious to know how this is remedied without surgery. Not to sound pessimistic as I'm not a doctor, but it is interesting how this will be prevented from recurring without addressing the structural issue.

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 12:17:06 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Interesting comments from Ainge re: Larkin.

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 12:31:04 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
C's new medical staff already working wonders.  8)

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 12:40:25 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

I wonder if part of the training and medical overhaul is due to dissatisfaction with how Isaiah's hip was being treated.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 12:44:20 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Great he's good to go in a trade for Kyrie  :P
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 12:46:37 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Im hoping a more in-depth report is forthcoming. My understanding  - when the news broke of the injury -  was that there a structural problem with the hip arising from a genetic abnormality in how the ball and socket formed. I'd be curious to know how this is remedied without surgery. Not to sound pessimistic as I'm not a doctor, but it is interesting how this will be prevented from recurring without addressing the structural issue.
Same here.  We heard this news already a week ago and that's the first thing that came to my mind.  My theory is that he does need surgery to fix the underlying issue, but IT is insisting on avoiding it, knowing he is going into a contract year and can handle this level of pain.

No way the new medical/training staff have done anything miraculous already.  That's just silly thinking.

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 12:54:50 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Interesting comments from Ainge re: Larkin.

I didn't find them interesting.  Complimenting a player you just signed is pretty standard practice.  They're willing to pay him about $1.5 million to give him a chance to make the roster, or be an insurance policy in the case of injury or a trade.  It seems like it's a competition between him and Theis for the last spot on the roster, as those are the only non-key players (i.e. excluding IT, Smart, and Baynes) without any guaranteed money next year.

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 12:54:53 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
i'll still put him in minute restrictions and carefully access his situation in practice, so he will be more 100% by season start, possibly hope Brad's thinking of a few new strategies to use IT a little bit less than last season and fully utilize Gordon and Horford

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 01:00:15 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I wonder if part of the training and medical overhaul is due to dissatisfaction with how Isaiah's hip was being treated.
They hired the guy a few years ago to be a part of the staff that they just handed the keys to.

I think they brought him in to modernize things and earn player trust and hopefully win over the existing staff. Either this is part of that process going as expected and this is the final step, or the current staff wasn't meshing well enough with his vision and they are allowing him free reign to build his team.

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 01:01:26 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm flashing to KG delaying his surgery as long as possible in 2008-2009, mostly because today has been a pessimistc sort of day.

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 02:59:04 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Ainge saying to Lebron:  you can change IT with KI now :)

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 03:38:39 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

They hired the guy a few years ago to be a part of the staff that they just handed the keys to.

I think they brought him in to modernize things and earn player trust and hopefully win over the existing staff. Either this is part of that process going as expected and this is the final step, or the current staff wasn't meshing well enough with his vision and they are allowing him free reign to build his team.

My total speculation is that in order to move in the direction that the organization wanted to go, they would effectively had to demote their senior training staff in favor of a guy they just brought in.

It was probably best to just start over with new guys who could come in under the new leadership rather than teach old dogs new tricks.

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 05:40:37 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

You're most likely referring to pincer syndrome which is a form of femoral acetabular impingement which is more common in males.  It's where the acetabulum (the pocket or cup that the femoral head sits in) slightly overgrows around the femoral head and can restrict range of motion.

It sounds a lot worse than it is since there's a high percentage of people (even high level athletes) walking around with impingement for their entire lives that never know they have it. 

It probably played a role in predisposing IT to a labral tear -but the main concern was still the labrum tearing.  The labrum is a layer of cartilage that lines the acetabulum (the cup where the head of the femur rests) and creates more surface area to contact the femoral head.  Tearing it can be painful and block motion at the joint. 

It sounds like IT went with a conservative/nonsurgical approach of treating it with physical therapy.  They wouldn't let him play unless he had full strength and range of motion back at the hip (because he'd most likely just reinjure it) so I'm guessing he's good to go.     

In terms of reinjury though...  I wouldn't worry too much about the FAI causing the labral tear since IT is almost 30 now and made it his whole life playing basketball without it ever effecting him prior to last season.  He's probably marginally more at risk of reinjury than he would be if he didn't have the FAI but it's pretty negligible all things considered.  The guy's played a TREMENDOUS amount of basketball at the highest level with almost no injuries.  His body is pretty durable. 

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 07:52:19 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

You're most likely referring to pincer syndrome which is a form of femoral acetabular impingement which is more common in males.  It's where the acetabulum (the pocket or cup that the femoral head sits in) slightly overgrows around the femoral head and can restrict range of motion.

It sounds a lot worse than it is since there's a high percentage of people (even high level athletes) walking around with impingement for their entire lives that never know they have it. 

It probably played a role in predisposing IT to a labral tear -but the main concern was still the labrum tearing.  The labrum is a layer of cartilage that lines the acetabulum (the cup where the head of the femur rests) and creates more surface area to contact the femoral head.  Tearing it can be painful and block motion at the joint. 

It sounds like IT went with a conservative/nonsurgical approach of treating it with physical therapy.  They wouldn't let him play unless he had full strength and range of motion back at the hip (because he'd most likely just reinjure it) so I'm guessing he's good to go.     

In terms of reinjury though...  I wouldn't worry too much about the FAI causing the labral tear since IT is almost 30 now and made it his whole life playing basketball without it ever effecting him prior to last season.  He's probably marginally more at risk of reinjury than he would be if he didn't have the FAI but it's pretty negligible all things considered.  The guy's played a TREMENDOUS amount of basketball at the highest level with almost no injuries.  His body is pretty durable. 

I appreciate the medical explanation TP. And I'm really hoping you're 100% right.

Why do I still feel the odds of them announcing he should have major surgery less than a year before his free agency is nonexistent.