Author Topic: training camp thoughts-phew  (Read 2062 times)

training camp thoughts-phew
« on: July 26, 2017, 09:00:20 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Is having so many new players an advantage to rookies.The team dynamics will be so changed without kelly,amir and bradley all gone at once.It may favor the guys with all around skill sets at first and timing will be chaos--Then the rookies just adjusting to speed athleticism, amount of games and travel.
 The idiosyncrasies,timing,knowing where and when to hit guys all the subtleties that come with time. That is just the offensive side.

Some of these guys are going to be in shock dealing with the caliber of NBA talent and to have the number of rookies that make up 2nd team.Some of the players might like taking it slow.
Nader might have the advantage of d league and being well rounded,Theis has his years in Germany  and Semi has age and strength coupled with lateral agility.
Imagine Marcus the oldest tenured celtic.

Re: training camp thoughts-phew
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 09:33:32 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I'm not overly concerned about the rookies.

Thomas, Horford, Hayward, Morris, Crowder, and Baynes are all vets. Smart is basically a vet, heading into his 4th season with over 6,600 NBA minutes under his belt. Those 7 guys are likely going to make up the regular rotation with Brown, Rozier, and Tatum. So yes, there are going to be a lot of young guys vying for minutes but they'll be end-of-the-bench minutes.

As long as Brad incentivizes smart, team-oriented play with minutes, they'll be fine. 
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 01:50:23 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
I'm not overly concerned about the rookies.

Thomas, Horford, Hayward, Morris, Crowder, and Baynes are all vets. Smart is basically a vet, heading into his 4th season with over 6,600 NBA minutes under his belt. Those 7 guys are likely going to make up the regular rotation with Brown, Rozier, and Tatum. So yes, there are going to be a lot of young guys vying for minutes but they'll be end-of-the-bench minutes.

As long as Brad incentivizes smart, team-oriented play with minutes, they'll be fine.

This and they are all vets who will help bring the young ones along. Good mix of professionalism, grit and passion to achieve. Unlike some teams who have lots of rookies and need them to play big minutes, Celtics still have the squad to bring them along.

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 05:06:07 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I think Theis will play a big role in the rotation. I have him as my dark horse to start alongside Al, although Baynes is admittedly the favourite.

Semi and Nader will be fighting for the scraps along with Tatum, I assume Tatum will be given some slack as the 3rd overall pick but his path to minutes does not look easy now that Morris has entered the frame

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 08:19:47 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
I'm a nader fan but ojeleye is my favorite for his strength ,lateral quickness and ability to hit the three.
Nader was a great pick at back of draft but ojeleye has the potential to be the steal for years to come-he is just so athletic and that bulk and center of gravity will help getting over screens.

-Nader has that ambidextrous ability with that huge wingspan and most of season with red claws he shot the three i think in 40% range-but OJELEYE ever since HOOPS HOUSE with TATUM

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 08:37:18 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I know its unusual for such a successful team to have so many new players.  New to the team and new to the league for sure.  But I am really looking forward to it because I think players like Kelly and AB kind of peaked and I want to see what these new guys can do.  Looks like they'll be tough on D.  I think one of my biggest concerns is going to be scoring by the 2nd team.  I know Brad is planning on Hayward and IT be on the court most of the time when 1 of them is resting.  We need more scorers than are consistent and confident.

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 08:50:57 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I know its unusual for such a successful team to have so many new players.  New to the team and new to the league for sure.  But I am really looking forward to it because I think players like Kelly and AB kind of peaked and I want to see what these new guys can do.  Looks like they'll be tough on D.  I think one of my biggest concerns is going to be scoring by the 2nd team.  I know Brad is planning on Hayward and IT be on the court most of the time when 1 of them is resting.  We need more scorers than are consistent and confident.
This was a huge issue last season and especially in the playoffs. Say what you want about Evan Turner but he was pretty instrumental coming off the bench and scoring on the second unit. They never really replaced that last offseason and it showed.

As you mentioned above, adding a bonafide scoring threat (Hayward) allows the Cs to now have either IT or Hayward playing with that 2nd unit to quell those scoring droughts.

Also, the additions of Morris and Tatum, players who you can give the ball to and they can create offense, is huge as well. Last year, the Cs had only one player that could create a shot for themselves on offense (IT). This season, they have as many as 4 players with that kind of ability (IT, Hayward, Tatum, Morris). That's a significant change and one that I believe favors the Cs against most bench units in the league for the regular season, and more importantly, the playoffs.

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 09:41:07 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
This was a huge issue last season and especially in the playoffs. Say what you want about Evan Turner but he was pretty instrumental coming off the bench and scoring on the second unit. They never really replaced that last offseason and it showed.

As you mentioned above, adding a bonafide scoring threat (Hayward) allows the Cs to now have either IT or Hayward playing with that 2nd unit to quell those scoring droughts.

Also, the additions of Morris and Tatum, players who you can give the ball to and they can create offense, is huge as well. Last year, the Cs had only one player that could create a shot for themselves on offense (IT). This season, they have as many as 4 players with that kind of ability (IT, Hayward, Tatum, Morris). That's a significant change and one that I believe favors the Cs against most bench units in the league for the regular season, and more importantly, the playoffs.

I agree the strength of this team is likely to come from the non starting 5 rotation. As good as the starting 5 will be the bench units will be much more talented then the other top teams in the east. Given the depth behind IT (Smart, Rozier maybe Larkin) and Hayward (Brown,Tatum) it should be easy to stagger their minutes.

When you look at Cleveland (depending how things play out), Washington, and Toronto those teams have comparable are arguably better talent 1-3 but the Cs blow them away 4-15.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet