Author Topic: Silver: "NBA will expand (add more teams). Matter of when, not if"  (Read 11473 times)

Re: Silver: "NBA will expand (add more teams). Matter of when, not if"
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2017, 10:44:19 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I think the two teams added would be Vegas and Seattle with either the Grizzlies or Timberwolves coming over to the Eastern Conference.
Timberwolves make more sense I think.  A lot less travel for them playing Milwaukee, Chicago, etc. more times than teams like LA.  Memphis obviously has a lot of travel as well, but you can at least put them with OKC and the Texas teams to ease the burden.  The Wolves really are all alone in the West.

I think it's amazing how spread out some of the other divisions are when you actually look at a map.  Man TWolves definitely get a raw deal being set up in the West.  That whole Northwest division really, spread across 3 time zones.  Of course adding Seattle will at least give Portland somebody somewhat close by.  But there's really no way to balance the conferences/divisions evenly.

Yep.  I think going to 4 team divisions when adding 2 teams would help a great deal with that.

A - Boston, NY, BKN, PHI
B - Toronto, Cleveland, Detroit, Washington
C - Charlotte, Atlanta, Orlando, Miami
D - Minnesota, Milwaukee, Indiana, Chicago
E - Dallas, New Orleans, San Antonio, Houston
F - Memphis, OKC, Denver, Utah
G - LAL, LAC, Phoenix, Vegas
H - Sacramento, Golden State, Portland, Seattle

You could move a team here or there, but I think those divisions all make a good deal of sense.  A team in St. Louis or Louisville instead of Vegas would also help even more by giving Memphis a much closer geographical rival.
TP...I like this idea.
Even if they don't add any teams, I think they could do a better job with the divisions.  There are always going to be a couple of stragglers, but this seems to work better

A - Boston, NY, BKN, PHI, Toronto
B - Indiana, Detroit, Chicago, Minnesota, Milwaukee
C - Charlotte, Atlanta, Memphis, Washington, Cleveland
D - New Orleans, San Antonio, Houston, Orlando, Miami
E - OKC, Denver, Utah, Dallas, Phoenix
F - LAL, LAC, Sacramento, Golden State, Portland
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2017, 10:59:32 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
What is the purpose of having the conferences for the NBA? Historically it was to reduce travel, is that as true anymore? Even if it is, with two additional teams it can be an opportunity for improvement in the schedule.

Adding 2 teams is a good opportunity to reduce the travelling teams do during the season. Split into 4 divisions of 8, mini conferences, play your division 4 times each and everyone else twice, that's 76 games.

Then use it as an opportunity to do what the NBA clearly wants which is the best teams in the playoffs, regardless of location. For parity, give the division winners a guaranteed top 4 seed then give the other 12 slots to the teams with the best records. It's the natural evolution.

« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2017, 09:16:16 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Mexico City continues to gain momentum as a potential expansion candidate for the NBA along with Seattle, even as Adam Silver says it is not something they see happening in the short-term.

“We’re not looking at expansion at the moment, but at the time we do turn to expansion, just as we’ve had enormous success in Canada with the (Toronto) Raptors, we do see enormous opportunity in Mexico City and think it could become the franchise for Latin America,” Silver said.

“Mexico City is a city with over 20 million people, a country of 130 million people, and a huge Mexican American population. We’re only looking at it from a more general standpoint – and we’re playing games (there) again in Dec. (the Brooklyn Nets are playing against the Oklahoma City Thunder on Dec. 7 and the Miami Heat on Dec. 9). It’s something we’ll continue to keep eye on.”

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/247605/Mexico-City-Continues-To-Receive-Long-Term-Expansion-Interest-From-NBA