Author Topic: Silver: "NBA will expand (add more teams). Matter of when, not if"  (Read 11361 times)

Re: Silver: "NBA will expand (add more teams). Matter of when, not if"
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2017, 07:06:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/10000-gallons-of-tainted-alcohol-were-seized-from-mexican-resorts/ar-AAq8X3N?OCID=ansmsnnews11

10,000 gallons of tainted alcohol were seized from Mexican resorts in Cancun and Playa Del Carmen.  They were all apparently provided by the same manufacturer. 

Also of note, Euromonitor International says that up to 36% of all alcohol consumed in Mexico is illegal. 

The alcohol that killed the American was expired, unlabeled, and kept in unsanitary conditions.

Even some of the more well known and famous bars like Fat Tuesday had alcohol seized. 

Now don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are plenty of bars in the U.S. that have expired, unlabeled, and alcohol stored in unsanitary conditions, but you don't find widespread reports of people getting sick and blacking out after one drink or people dying from it.  You also don't have up to 36% of alcohol being served in the U.S. that is illegal.  And while this has nothing directly to do with a NBA team, it does show some fundamental problems with lesser developed countries, and why said countries should not have a full time US based league professional team in them.  The occasional game in Mexico is fine, but no way Mexico should have an actual team.  It just isn't a viable country for that.

You are really representing Ohio and middle America well with this angle. Good work.

« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2017, 11:53:34 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/10000-gallons-of-tainted-alcohol-were-seized-from-mexican-resorts/ar-AAq8X3N?OCID=ansmsnnews11

10,000 gallons of tainted alcohol were seized from Mexican resorts in Cancun and Playa Del Carmen.  They were all apparently provided by the same manufacturer. 

Also of note, Euromonitor International says that up to 36% of all alcohol consumed in Mexico is illegal. 

The alcohol that killed the American was expired, unlabeled, and kept in unsanitary conditions.

Even some of the more well known and famous bars like Fat Tuesday had alcohol seized. 

Now don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are plenty of bars in the U.S. that have expired, unlabeled, and alcohol stored in unsanitary conditions, but you don't find widespread reports of people getting sick and blacking out after one drink or people dying from it.  You also don't have up to 36% of alcohol being served in the U.S. that is illegal.  And while this has nothing directly to do with a NBA team, it does show some fundamental problems with lesser developed countries, and why said countries should not have a full time US based league professional team in them.  The occasional game in Mexico is fine, but no way Mexico should have an actual team.  It just isn't a viable country for that.

You are really representing Ohio and middle America well with this angle. Good work.
Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. are you talking about? 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2017, 12:11:15 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
bring the Sonics back, although when i was there couple weeks ago, the people there didn't care much about it, they're more excited about their seahawks now (guess that kinda makes sense)

But yea I think Vegas will definitely have a team

the Vegas Gamblers =P

So what Eastern Conference might get a team? St Louis? Nashville?

« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2017, 03:39:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think the two teams added would be Vegas and Seattle with either the Grizzlies or Timberwolves coming over to the Eastern Conference.

« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2017, 07:13:19 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
I think the two teams added would be Vegas and Seattle with either the Grizzlies or Timberwolves coming over to the Eastern Conference.
Timberwolves make more sense I think.  A lot less travel for them playing Milwaukee, Chicago, etc. more times than teams like LA.  Memphis obviously has a lot of travel as well, but you can at least put them with OKC and the Texas teams to ease the burden.  The Wolves really are all alone in the West.

« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2017, 07:55:33 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
Don't need anymore teams..there's too many now
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2017, 07:58:28 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
Going have 5-6 superteams...rest going be awful..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2017, 08:26:26 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
We only have one super team now.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2017, 11:10:57 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
We only have one super team now.

The Boston Celtics

« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2017, 11:13:43 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'm very okay with expansion. I'm much more okay with expansion with promotion and relegation of bad teams to a lower league.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2017, 05:41:25 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I'm very okay with expansion. I'm much more okay with expansion with promotion and relegation of bad teams to a lower league.
How is the draft system going to work if let's say the bottom 3 teams (or whatever) are relegated to a lower league?

« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2017, 06:45:08 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Timberwolves make more sense I think.  A lot less travel for them playing Milwaukee, Chicago, etc. more times than teams like LA.  Memphis obviously has a lot of travel as well, but you can at least put them with OKC and the Texas teams to ease the burden.  The Wolves really are all alone in the West.

I think it's amazing how spread out some of the other divisions are when you actually look at a map.  Man TWolves definitely get a raw deal being set up in the West.  That whole Northwest division really, spread across 3 time zones.  Of course adding Seattle will at least give Portland somebody somewhat close by.  But there's really no way to balance the conferences/divisions evenly.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2017, 07:58:23 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

I think it's amazing how spread out some of the other divisions are when you actually look at a map.  Man TWolves definitely get a raw deal being set up in the West.  That whole Northwest division really, spread across 3 time zones.  Of course adding Seattle will at least give Portland somebody somewhat close by.  But there's really no way to balance the conferences/divisions evenly.

Imo the Blazers should join the Pacific and the Suns should join the Northwest (or let's say the Midwest).

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 11:54:47 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2017, 08:18:22 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Yep.  I think going to 4 team divisions when adding 2 teams would help a great deal with that.

A - Boston, NY, BKN, PHI
B - Toronto, Cleveland, Detroit, Washington
C - Charlotte, Atlanta, Orlando, Miami
D - Minnesota, Milwaukee, Indiana, Chicago
E - Dallas, New Orleans, San Antonio, Houston
F - Memphis, OKC, Denver, Utah
G - LAL, LAC, Phoenix, Vegas
H - Sacramento, Golden State, Portland, Seattle

You could move a team here or there, but I think those divisions all make a good deal of sense.  A team in St. Louis or Louisville instead of Vegas would also help even more by giving Memphis a much closer geographical rival. 

« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2017, 10:31:49 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Yep.  I think going to 4 team divisions when adding 2 teams would help a great deal with that.

A - Boston, NY, BKN, PHI
B - Toronto, Cleveland, Detroit, Washington
C - Charlotte, Atlanta, Orlando, Miami
D - Minnesota, Milwaukee, Indiana, Chicago
E - Dallas, New Orleans, San Antonio, Houston
F - Memphis, OKC, Denver, Utah
G - LAL, LAC, Phoenix, Vegas
H - Sacramento, Golden State, Portland, Seattle

You could move a team here or there, but I think those divisions all make a good deal of sense.  A team in St. Louis or Louisville instead of Vegas would also help even more by giving Memphis a much closer geographical rival.
TP...I like this idea.

A team plays each team in the other conference two times, 32 games. Plays each team in their conference but not in their division 3 times, 36 games, and each team in their division 4 times, 12 games. Total 80 games.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 10:38:23 AM by nickagneta »