Author Topic: Silver: "NBA will expand (add more teams). Matter of when, not if"  (Read 11449 times)

Re: Silver: "NBA will expand (add more teams). Matter of when, not if"
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2017, 10:11:20 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Sigh.. let me end some misconceptions right now. Since it sounds a little bit like ignorance, rather than facts.

1st..  we are talking about mexico city, not mexico. Northern mexico is infested with with crime and drug cartels and skews all crime rate numbers significantly. Mexico city is 1200 miles from Juarez, the heart of cartel activity. That's the equivalent of blaming Boston for the ridiculous murder rate in Chicago.

2nd... a lot of ppl are referring to the "murder rate" as an indicator of crime.
Mexico City itself has a murder rate between 5.06 per 100,000 people (cited article below, yes its in spanish). Take the article for what it's worth.
If you compare that to the top 30 highest murder rates US cities.. it wouldnt even make the list, since the 30th worst is sitting at 16 per 100k ppl.
In fact, 11 NBA Cities have a higher murder rate

Mexico City's current murder rate: http://www.eluniverso.com/noticias/2016/10/05/nota/5838907/ciudad-mexico-tiene-tasa-homicidios-mas-alta-16-anos

Top 30 US cities here: http://bismarcktribune.com/news/national/the-cities-with-the-highest-murder-rates-in-the-us/collection_5a789407-4d43-5403-ad56-7c47880bda8e.html

3rd. All of the mexico city soccer teams have survived just fine without random murders and kidnappings. Because they can afford security. You don't think an NBA team can afford 24x7x365 security?

4th. I'll just leave a list of these American soccer players playing in Mexico. All parts of Mexico.
https://ussoccerplayers.com/usmnt-players-abroad

Don't mean to be political, but I go to Mexico City a few times a year. There are plenty scarier things to deal with in NYC and Chicago.
there has been a heavy increase in murder and other violent crime in Mexico City recently and it isn't some random uptick, it has been coming for a long time.  The fact that you are claiming a team and it's players will need 24/7/365 security pretty much says all you need to know about your own position with regards to safety.

And that says nothing about the extreme poverty, lack of education, and significant corruption that runs rampant through the City.

As you say, plenty of Americans play professional soccer in Mexico but there is a very large difference between an American or two playing in a Mexican league with mostly Mexican players versus a single Team with 0 Mexicans in a US league with US dollars in play.

At the end of the day when comparing Meixci City tobplaves like Seattle, St. Louis, Louisville, Las Vegas, etc. there reslly is no comparison as a location for a full time team i.e. Mexico City loses every time.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2017, 01:49:32 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Expansion is inevitable, especially since the NBA isn't yet at the magical "32" number. However, I hope it doesn't happen. Basketball is tilted toward stars, especially the elite ones. At a given time there are really only a handful of stars that are a tier above the rest, and only a few teams each season that have a realistic shot at winning a title. If you add more teams, really you're just increasing the number of teams that have no shot, as it won't have an impact on the top teams.

The best teams will always be stacked with a top superstar or two, plus 1-2 other lower-tier stars, whatever fits under the cap/tax. It will be the huge glut of mediocre and bad teams that will have more competition and be watered down. The addition of two teams will just make these middling teams overpay even more for lesser "stars" who demand max deals only because the top guys are not available.

The treadmill of mediocrity will become an even bigger issue than it already is, since a borderline playoff team will be picking around 16 in the draft, a slot where getting even a rotation player is no sure thing. It will be harder to tank because if you have any talent at all it will be near-impossible to lose enough to break into the the lower lottery.

Regarding what cities should get a team, put my vote in for Seattle and Vancouver. I know, they're close together but Canada really should have another team. I don't find any of the proposed American cities (San Diego, St. Louis, Las Vegas) appealing. San Diego is so close to LA, where they already have two teams. St. Louis is a small market. Vegas is intriguing but it doesn't seem like a real city to me. Add Seattle and Vancouver and move Memphis to the Eastern Conference where it belongs.

If I could play fantasy NBA commissioner, I'd move the Grizzlies back to Vancouver (I like continuity) and the Thunder back to Seattle. Add San Diego to the west since players would likely be drawn there, then give Nashville an expansion team in the East. Give the team a Tennessean moniker so that it could represent the whole of Tennessee as opposed to just Nashville and hope Memphis fans can support it.

« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2017, 02:40:58 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
how about some tainted alcohol at a resort killing an American.  nothing in the story about Mexico City, but apparently this is an issue all over Mexico.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-state-department-warns-travelers-of-tainted-alcohol-at-mexico-resorts/ar-AAoSAgZ?OCID=ansmsnnews11

« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2017, 04:36:47 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
how about some tainted alcohol at a resort killing an American.  nothing in the story about Mexico City, but apparently this is an issue all over Mexico.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-state-department-warns-travelers-of-tainted-alcohol-at-mexico-resorts/ar-AAoSAgZ?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Geez man this is really reaching...

There is one person that may have gotten poisoned in January? Do you know how many worse stories there are in US cities all the time. Have you heard of Flint Michigan?

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2017, 05:00:54 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Currently I'd rather live in Flint

« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2017, 05:52:17 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
My wife grew up in an actual 3rd world scenario (totality of indoor plumbing, for example = one sink) and there is no way on Earth she would consider for one second going to Mexico City compared to any other US or Canadian city, and neither would I. If I were drafted there I'd probably go to Europe.

Just curious..  Have you and the wife ever been to Mexico City?

Frankly, I get sick and tired of friends coming back from there and raving about it incessantly...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2017, 05:56:02 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Nope. Although I did go to Tijuana once in the 90s

« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2017, 06:20:14 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Expansion is inevitable, especially since the NBA isn't yet at the magical "32" number. However, I hope it doesn't happen. Basketball is tilted toward stars, especially the elite ones. At a given time there are really only a handful of stars that are a tier above the rest, and only a few teams each season that have a realistic shot at winning a title. If you add more teams, really you're just increasing the number of teams that have no shot, as it won't have an impact on the top teams.

The best teams will always be stacked with a top superstar or two, plus 1-2 other lower-tier stars, whatever fits under the cap/tax. It will be the huge glut of mediocre and bad teams that will have more competition and be watered down. The addition of two teams will just make these middling teams overpay even more for lesser "stars" who demand max deals only because the top guys are not available.

The treadmill of mediocrity will become an even bigger issue than it already is, since a borderline playoff team will be picking around 16 in the draft, a slot where getting even a rotation player is no sure thing. It will be harder to tank because if you have any talent at all it will be near-impossible to lose enough to break into the the lower lottery.

Regarding what cities should get a team, put my vote in for Seattle and Vancouver. I know, they're close together but Canada really should have another team. I don't find any of the proposed American cities (San Diego, St. Louis, Las Vegas) appealing. San Diego is so close to LA, where they already have two teams. St. Louis is a small market. Vegas is intriguing but it doesn't seem like a real city to me. Add Seattle and Vancouver and move Memphis to the Eastern Conference where it belongs.

If I could play fantasy NBA commissioner, I'd move the Grizzlies back to Vancouver (I like continuity) and the Thunder back to Seattle. Add San Diego to the west since players would likely be drawn there, then give Nashville an expansion team in the East. Give the team a Tennessean moniker so that it could represent the whole of Tennessee as opposed to just Nashville and hope Memphis fans can support it.
OKC and Memphis are not going anywhere. They sell out. Seattle Deserves a team.
Memphis is the 20th largest city, OKC 29th. Largest Market without a team is Jacksonville Fl then Columbus Ohio and El Paso.  Seattle is 22nd largest. 
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2017, 06:59:52 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
When you look at US metro areas places that don't have teams that are comparable to cities that already have teams are St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Kansas City, San Jose, Jacksonville, Raleigh, Louisville, and even Buffalo, but some of these have decent college teams and are pushing it. Jacksonville and Buffalo, for example aren't having the easiest time with their NFL teams.

« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2017, 07:13:24 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
When you look at US metro areas places that don't have teams that are comparable to cities that already have teams are St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Kansas City, San Jose, Jacksonville, Raleigh, Louisville, and even Buffalo, but some of these have decent college teams and are pushing it. Jacksonville and Buffalo, for example aren't having the easiest time with their NFL teams.

I'd think Kansas City would be a decent location.  Their two major league franchises have very loyal fanbases, and college basketball is incredibly popular in the area.  Their biggest obstacle is that they don't have another potential tenant to share an NBA arena with, as most arenas either have a hockey team or a D-1 college team (or both) in addition to the NBA.  I don't think UMKC is enough of a draw to be a secondary tenant.

On the plus side, I'm sure they would have no problem selling naming rights, as the area is headquarters to multiple major corporations that typically advertise during sporting events (Sprint, H&R Block, Applebees to a lesser extent).  So yeah, I pick Kansas City to go along with Seattle.

I think Vegas is the most logical option if the Raiders and the NHL team show an ability to survive in that market.  It'd draw free agents, and summer league is a huge success there already, and there would be no need to build an arena.

« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2017, 08:12:59 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Geez man this is really reaching...

There is one person that may have gotten poisoned in January? Do you know how many worse stories there are in US cities all the time. Have you heard of Flint Michigan?
"The U.S. State Department is cautioning Americans traveling to Mexico about possible tainted or low quality alcohol that could cause vacationers illness or black outs."

"The 20-year-old drowned and her brother was seriously injured after drinking shots at the Iberostar Hotel & Resorts' Paraiso del Mar. He does not remember what happened."

"The Journal Sentinel reported it has been in contact with more than three dozen people with accounts of similar experiences at resorts near Cancun and Playa del Carmen. In each case, people discussed a drugging-like sensation and memory loss after having as little as one or two drinks."

Apparently you didn't read the article and frankly the last time I checked the US Government wasn't in the habit of issuing travel warnings because of 1 isolated incident.

And of course I know what happened in Flint and I know about the algae bloom that contaminated Toledo, Ohio's water not that long ago as well, but you still can't drink the water safely in Mexico pretty much anywhere so I'm not sure those would be the examples you should rely on to show the safety of Mexico.

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2017, 11:22:52 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/10000-gallons-of-tainted-alcohol-were-seized-from-mexican-resorts/ar-AAq8X3N?OCID=ansmsnnews11

10,000 gallons of tainted alcohol were seized from Mexican resorts in Cancun and Playa Del Carmen.  They were all apparently provided by the same manufacturer. 

Also of note, Euromonitor International says that up to 36% of all alcohol consumed in Mexico is illegal. 

The alcohol that killed the American was expired, unlabeled, and kept in unsanitary conditions.

Even some of the more well known and famous bars like Fat Tuesday had alcohol seized. 

Now don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are plenty of bars in the U.S. that have expired, unlabeled, and alcohol stored in unsanitary conditions, but you don't find widespread reports of people getting sick and blacking out after one drink or people dying from it.  You also don't have up to 36% of alcohol being served in the U.S. that is illegal.  And while this has nothing directly to do with a NBA team, it does show some fundamental problems with lesser developed countries, and why said countries should not have a full time US based league professional team in them.  The occasional game in Mexico is fine, but no way Mexico should have an actual team.  It just isn't a viable country for that.

« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2017, 04:58:33 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
How has this thread become an anti-Mexican tourism pitch? Move on...

On topic.. Seattle has to get a team whenever an expansion happens, it'd be shameful if they didn't.
For the other franchise I'd pick a market out West, probably Las Vegas given the growing brand there. I don't know too much about the geography of the Mid-West but there could be other suitable places.

This would also be an opportunity for the NBA to do away with conferences. 32 teams in divisions of 8 would work. Play your division 4 times(28), other divisions twice(48) for 76 games total which would ease the fixture congestion without removing too many games.
Guarantee the top seed in each division a top 4 seed in the playoffs and then fill it out with the next best 12 records.

Edit: Divisions after the expansion

Division A: Portland, Sac, GS, LAC, LAL, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Seattle
Division B: Utah, Denver, OKC, Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, Memphis, New Orleans
Division C: Boston, New York, Brooklyn, Philly, Washington, Miami, Orlando, Charlotte
Division D: Minnesota, Cleveland, Indiana, Milwaukee, Detroit, Chicago, Toronto, Atlanta
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 05:31:39 AM by TheSundanceKid »

« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2017, 05:36:03 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

On topic.. Seattle has to get a team whenever an expansion happens, it'd be shameful if they didn't.
For the other franchise I'd pick a market out West, probably Las Vegas given the growing brand there. I don't know too much about the geography of the Mid-West but there could be other suitable places.

This would also be an opportunity for the NBA to do away with conferences. 32 teams in divisions of 8 would work. Play your division 4 times(28), other divisions twice(48) for 76 games total which would ease the fixture congestion without removing too many games.
Guarantee the top seed in each division a top 4 seed in the playoffs and then fill it out with the next best 12 records.

Division B: Utah, Denver, OKC, Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, Memphis, New Orleans
Division C: Boston, New York, Brooklyn, Philly, Washington, Miami, Orlando, Charlotte
Division D: Minnesota, Cleveland, Indiana, Milwaukee, Detroit, Chicago, Toronto, Atlanta
Your divisions are strange

Assuming Seattle and Vegas, which are probably the two most likely, I'd do the divisions something like this

A - Seattle, Portland, GS, Sacto, Salt Lake, LAC, LAL, Vegas
B - Denver, Phoenix, OKC, Dallas, San An, Houston, N.O., Memphis
C - Boston, NY, Brooklyn, Philly, Washington, Toronto, Cleveland, Detroit
D - Minnesota, Milwaukee, Chicago, Indiana, Atlanta, Miami, Orlando, Charlotte

« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2017, 06:16:19 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Your divisions are strange

Assuming Seattle and Vegas, which are probably the two most likely, I'd do the divisions something like this

A - Seattle, Portland, GS, Sacto, Salt Lake, LAC, LAL, Vegas
B - Denver, Phoenix, OKC, Dallas, San An, Houston, N.O., Memphis
C - Boston, NY, Brooklyn, Philly, Washington, Toronto, Cleveland, Detroit
D - Minnesota, Milwaukee, Chicago, Indiana, Atlanta, Miami, Orlando, Charlotte

I mean you can do it either way but I thought it unfair to shove the florida teams with Minnesota. That's a lot of travel for that division which can be spread out. The way I did it also has a West coast and East coast division which seems to make sense. Also Phoenix is nearer the West coast teams than Utah, which is why I did it that way around.
Either way though works. The main thing is it would be a good opportunity to remove conferences and make the playoffs about the best teams