Author Topic: Silver: "NBA will expand (add more teams). Matter of when, not if"  (Read 11394 times)

Re: Silver: "NBA will expand (add more teams). Matter of when, not if"
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2017, 03:24:38 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Juarez would be a really good place to start the franchise, being right across the border and can attract both US and Mexican citizens for games.

lol

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2017, 04:36:04 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Sigh.. let me end some misconceptions right now. Since it sounds a little bit like ignorance, rather than facts.

1st..  we are talking about mexico city, not mexico. Northern mexico is infested with with crime and drug cartels and skews all crime rate numbers significantly. Mexico city is 1200 miles from Juarez, the heart of cartel activity. That's the equivalent of blaming Boston for the ridiculous murder rate in Chicago.

2nd... a lot of ppl are referring to the "murder rate" as an indicator of crime.
Mexico City itself has a murder rate between 5.06 per 100,000 people (cited article below, yes its in spanish). Take the article for what it's worth.
If you compare that to the top 30 highest murder rates US cities.. it wouldnt even make the list, since the 30th worst is sitting at 16 per 100k ppl.
In fact, 11 NBA Cities have a higher murder rate

Mexico City's current murder rate: http://www.eluniverso.com/noticias/2016/10/05/nota/5838907/ciudad-mexico-tiene-tasa-homicidios-mas-alta-16-anos

Top 30 US cities here: http://bismarcktribune.com/news/national/the-cities-with-the-highest-murder-rates-in-the-us/collection_5a789407-4d43-5403-ad56-7c47880bda8e.html

3rd. All of the mexico city soccer teams have survived just fine without random murders and kidnappings. Because they can afford security. You don't think an NBA team can afford 24x7x365 security?

4th. I'll just leave a list of these American soccer players playing in Mexico. All parts of Mexico.
https://ussoccerplayers.com/usmnt-players-abroad

Don't mean to be political, but I go to Mexico City a few times a year. There are plenty scarier things to deal with in NYC and Chicago.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2017, 04:51:04 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Sigh.. let me end some misconceptions right now. Since it sounds a little bit like ignorance, rather than facts.

1st..  we are talking about mexico city, not mexico. Northern mexico is infested with with crime and drug cartels and skews all crime rate numbers significantly. Mexico city is 1200 miles from Juarez, the heart of cartel activity. That's the equivalent of blaming Boston for the ridiculous murder rate in Chicago.

2nd... a lot of ppl are referring to the "murder rate" as an indicator of crime.
Mexico City itself has a murder rate between 5.06 per 100,000 people (cited article below, yes its in spanish). Take the article for what it's worth.
If you compare that to the top 30 highest murder rates US cities.. it wouldnt even make the list, since the 30th worst is sitting at 16 per 100k ppl.

Mexico City's current murder rate: http://www.eluniverso.com/noticias/2016/10/05/nota/5838907/ciudad-mexico-tiene-tasa-homicidios-mas-alta-16-anos

Top 30 US cities here: http://bismarcktribune.com/news/national/the-cities-with-the-highest-murder-rates-in-the-us/collection_5a789407-4d43-5403-ad56-7c47880bda8e.html

3rd. All of the mexico city soccer teams have survived just fine without random murders and kidnappings. Because they can afford security. You don't think an NBA team can afford 24x7x365 security?

4th. I'll just leave a list of these American soccer players playing in Mexico. All parts of Mexico.

Don't mean to be political, but I go to Mexico City a few times a year. There are plenty scarier things to deal with in NYC and Chicago.

Strong post. Lot of ignorance in the anti-mexico comments.

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2017, 05:09:27 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Comparing Mexico City to our most crime ridden cities at the moment might not be a winning strategy.

I'm sure there might be some totalitarian states somewhere with really high standards of living and low murder rates, but I'm not moving there either if I can possibly avoid it.  I don't really get the players that go to China either, but they do. Yay Starbury.

What's the theft rate? Arson rate? Rape rate? What are the schools like? What's the homelessness issue? Hospitals? Court system? Police?

Mexico has frequently been sited as within shooting distance of being a failed state. I want nothing to do with that place, nor quite a lot of other "nice" places if at all possible.

Trying to sell people on Mexico City over Montreal (just for example) strikes me as absurd. Would you like to live in Mexico City over Montreal? Or Vancouver? Really?

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2017, 05:12:20 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
Comparing Mexico City to our most crime ridden cities at the moment might not be a winning strategy.

aka. 11 nba cities.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2017, 05:14:19 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum

Strong post. Lot of ignorance in the anti-mexico comments.

Thanks. Just a lot of flying rhetoric.

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2017, 05:28:44 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
we need less games not more , not more watering down of talent . Its spread too thin as it is.

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2017, 05:30:06 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Mexico City and Seattle are two top choices. iirc Silver did mention Seattle.

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2017, 05:35:28 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

aka. 11 nba cities.
I get it. But I actually hope to go see all those cities some day. Mexico City however.....similar to how sewer rat may taste like Pumpkin Pie, but I'd never know because I'd never eat the filthy thing Mexico City may be Shangri La meets Camelot but I'd never know because I'd never go there.

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2017, 05:51:13 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

aka. 11 nba cities.
I get it. But I actually hope to go see all those cities some day. Mexico City however.....similar to how sewer rat may taste like Pumpkin Pie, but I'd never know because I'd never eat the filthy thing Mexico City may be Shangri La meets Camelot but I'd never know because I'd never go there.

Is it Mexico City or Mexico in general?  Do you feel the same about places like Cancun or Cabo?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2017, 05:56:23 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

aka. 11 nba cities.

Is it Mexico City or Mexico in general?  Do you feel the same about places like Cancun or Cabo?
All Mexico, but Cabo would probably be the one I'd be more likely to go to if needed. I am aware that Mexico is America's most traveled to vacation destiny.

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2017, 07:18:29 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzuMi1PJiQ8

"Seattle will no doubt be on a short list of cities we'll look at"

""Expansion is not something we’re looking at right now. It is less a function of labor peace, it more goes to the strength of a 30-team league," said Silver.

Silver cited the financial health for all 30 NBA teams needs to be addressed before expansion.

"I have no doubt at some point we’ll turn back to it, but at least in my last discussions with our owners on this, most of them said let’s keep focusing on the health of these 30 teams and the quality of the competition. When we feel we’re in a better place with the 30 teams we have, maybe at that point we can look to expand.""
I'm not hearing all those quotes in that short 53 second clip, and I've tried a few related clips too.  But in any case, if we said those things then expansion is not imminent.  Even if it happens soon, I doubt they pass over domestic cities in favor of international cities.

« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2017, 08:40:08 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
You can give Mexico a team, but they have to play in San Diego or somewhere in New Mexico. Problem solved. 8)

« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2017, 09:28:04 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

aka. 11 nba cities.

All Mexico, but Cabo would probably be the one I'd be more likely to go to if needed. I am aware that Mexico is America's most traveled to vacation destiny.

Man you are missing out.   If I could retire in Loreto some day I'd be a lucky man.

Good friend planning to expat to Oaxaca region. 

Mex is an amazing place. 

« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2017, 09:37:55 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

aka. 11 nba cities.

Man you are missing out.   If I could retire in Loreto some day I'd be a lucky man.

Good friend planning to expat to Oaxaca region. 

Mex is an amazing place.
I see what you are saying but I accept there are a lot of places I'll never see or at least that I have to prioritize. I am hopeful that someday Mexico can be in a much better situation than it is now. I definitely don't wish ill on Mexico. Quite the opposite.