Author Topic: Silver: "NBA will expand (add more teams). Matter of when, not if"  (Read 11391 times)

Re: Silver: "NBA will expand (add more teams). Matter of when, not if"
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 11:05:55 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Mexico City and Seattle please..
would love to put them on my nba cities travel list
Mexico is just a bad idea. 

Seattle is the most obvious.  After them St. Louis, Kansas City, Louisville, and Las Vegas would make the most sense (not necessarily in that order).

please elaborate. keeping in mind.
- Easy travel route
- Would be the most populated city in the NBA, huge market
- Only American sports franchise, huge market

i do understand the risks, but frankly that's any big city, IMO
- Transportation
- country politics/laws
Mexico is a 3rd World Country in turmoil.  Crime is rampant.  It is very poor.  It is dirty and filled with smog and pollution.  It is also extremely elevated (which affects play).  Plus you then have the VISA and travel problems associated with a foreign country.  The NFL has played games there and they were unmitigated disasters, imagine playing 40+ games there every season.  Mexico is just a bad idea and won't happen.    Sure some exhibition games there might be a possibility (and maybe even a couple of regular season games), but not a full time regular team. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 12:08:39 PM »

Offline Ory

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 21

Seattle is the most obvious.  After them St. Louis, Kansas City, Louisville, and Las Vegas would make the most sense (not necessarily in that order).

- Easy travel route

- Transportation
- country politics/laws
Mexico is a 3rd World Country in turmoil.  Crime is rampant.  It is very poor.  It is dirty and filled with smog and pollution.  It is also extremely elevated (which affects play).  Plus you then have the VISA and travel problems associated with a foreign country.  The NFL has played games there and they were unmitigated disasters, imagine playing 40+ games there every season.  Mexico is just a bad idea and won't happen.    Sure some exhibition games there might be a possibility (and maybe even a couple of regular season games), but not a full time regular team.

Mexico is the 13th largest economy in the world, and is most definitely not a 3rd world country. The Mexico City metropolitan area is larger than New York or Los Angeles any way you slice it. The NBA and FIBA hold games there every year. The NBA has been a North American league and not a United States league for decades including passports and customs for all personnel. The United States has the second most native Spanish speakers in the world and Mexico has the most. It would be an excellent move in my opinion for Mexico, for the NBA, and for the sport of basketball.

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 12:15:43 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

- Easy travel route

- Transportation
- country politics/laws

Mexico is the 13th largest economy in the world, and is most definitely not a 3rd world country. The Mexico City metropolitan area is larger than New York or Los Angeles any way you slice it. The NBA and FIBA hold games there every year. The NBA has been a North American league and not a United States league for decades including passports and customs for all personnel. The United States has the second most native Spanish speakers in the world and Mexico has the most. It would be an excellent move in my opinion for Mexico, for the NBA, and for the sport of basketball.

TP for being reality based

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 12:46:51 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
My wife grew up in an actual 3rd world scenario (totality of indoor plumbing, for example = one sink) and there is no way on Earth she would consider for one second going to Mexico City compared to any other US or Canadian city, and neither would I. If I were drafted there I'd probably go to Europe.

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 01:15:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

- Easy travel route

- Transportation
- country politics/laws

TP for being reality based
Nothing I said was not based in reality.  I mean just this week, you have things like this story popping up https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2017-07-21/mexico-city-spike-in-crime-violence-sparks-fears-of-cartel-warfare 

Some key points from the article

"All told, 206 murder investigations were opened in Mexico City between May and June, making it the bloodiest two month-period on record in the capital, official data show.

Mexico City and its urban sprawl form the economic heart of the country, accounting for roughly a quarter of gross domestic product, according to the OECD, and the rise in violence is a major embarrassment for the Mexican government.

The crime spree mirrors a rising tide of violence nationally that has exposed major law and order shortcomings by Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto and his ruling Institutional Revolutionary Party, less than a year before the next presidential election."

"As these smaller groups jostle over the kidnapping and extortion rackets, violence has soared. The country's murder tally this year is on track to post the highest since modern records began in 1997.

Various factors are seen behind the capital's rise in violence.

Weak economic growth and chronically low wages drive youths in poor neighborhoods into crime. These troubled youths often extort small business owners, eventually shuttering them which makes jobs even harder to come by, according to local policeman Jose."

"Francisco Rivas, director of the National Citizen Observatory, a civil group monitoring justice and security in Mexico, said regardless of what constitutes a cartel, the days of the capital being isolated from the drug violence were over.

"What's happening in Mexico City reflects the national outlook," he said. "We have a crisis of organized crime."'

There was even a time when Mexico cared about the environment, but they let go of many of the environmental restrictions they had in place and Mexico City in the span of a couple of years, went from pollution levels on par with Los Angeles, to having them go completely out of control in the last couple of years. 

The average daily wage in Mexico was 335.59 pesos in May.  That equates to about $18.90 US per day (the US average daily wage in May was $22.03 per HOUR). 

Mexico's Human Development Index ("HDI" - the new index for rating countries) is .762 which rates them as 77th in the World.  While they have generally eliminated the term "3rd World", Mexico with that rating is right there in the mix of other countries that previously would have been known as 3rd World countries.  Which you know makes sense, since Mexico still has significantly large portions of the population whose formal education stops (if they had any at all) before they are teenagers.  There is a very limited middle class with the population generally either being very poor or very rich.  Crime is running rampant with corruption at all levels of the government and police force. 

And to be clear, I've been to Mexico many times.  My sister's first husband was Mexican with a ceremony in Mexico and she lived there.  Her second/current husband was born in Mexico and immigrated to the US when he was a child.  The country has a lot of beauty and is a wonderful place to visit (though right now is the most dangerous it has been in a very long time if not ever), but it is a not a place that should have a full time NBA team (or any other US based professional sport).  The socio-economic factors just don't rate enough for a team to realistically be there any time in the near future. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 01:47:08 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2017, 01:17:30 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Vegas will be one of those teams.

Book it and bank it.

Their ticket revenue for their NHL team is already sky high.

3 to 1 says you're right! ;)

Forget too many teams or not enough teams. What they really need to do is reduce the schedule to 72 games. They'll never do anything that loses revenue, though.

Mike

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2017, 01:23:16 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I will just place this right here:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/06/mexico-murder-rate-reaches-record-high-170622052056456.html

Since Mexico first sent the military to fight drug trafficking in 2006, a wave of bloodshed has left more than 200,000 people dead or missing, as rival cartels wage war on each other and the army.

Discoveries of bodies tossed by the roadside, strung up on bridges as warnings to rival drug gangs, or buried in mass graves have become regular events in Mexico.

The capture or killing of major drug bosses during the past decade led to an increase in the number of gangs fighting each other over turf and battling government forces.

According to statistics from the UN Office on Drugs and Crime, Mexico's murder rate in 2015 was 16.35 people per 100,000, higher than the US rate of 4.88 but much lower than in many countries in Central America and the Caribbean.

Like Canada, Mexico is our next door neighbor, but there is a reason we are extremely friendly with one country and many want a wall to block off the other. Personally, I would love to pour some military support into making Mexico an actual viable country where people want to go (outside of Acapulco and Cancun) or stay (if they are looking to emigrate from there).

Long story short, there ain't no way Mexico City is getting an NBA team. Vancouver (again) or Montreal have a much better chance if you are looking to expand throughout N. America.

Edit: TP Moranis for beating me to the punch.

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2017, 01:25:06 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
the league should contract, not expand, based on the current talent level within the league.  take out 4-rosters-worth of crappy players and the overall talent in the league greatly improves the overall product and would put more of a roadblock to GSW running through the league again.

having said that, if they do expand, I hate the idea of Mexico city.  Population center be [dang]ed.  There's too much poverty, population and crime to make it worth it and would give some of the people who travel to see a team more than just a moment's pause when considering that as a travel destination.

There's a number of US cities that are large enough to support a franchise that would make good locations:
Seattle, St Louis, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Kansas City, Baltimore, San Diego, Cincinnati, Jacksonville --> almost any large city that is already supporting a major league franchise in another sport.  I'm omitting Las Vegas because I still have a low comfort level allowing a team in the gambling mecca of the country (if not the world). 

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2017, 01:34:40 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Could you imagine if a fine young American man like Gordon Hayward or Jayson Tatum or Doug McDermott or Jeremy Lin were murdered in Mexico City for any reason whatsoever?

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2017, 01:35:01 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
It occurs to me that the league would be better served focusing on expanding the D-League (G-League?). I know they're not big money makers but if every team had its own affiliate, and it was a real league, having it as a smaller, less expensive alternative in areas where the closest NBA franchise might be far away could become a viable (if small) revenue stream for the league.

And that also makes the NBA product better by allowing more late bloomers a place to develop in the US.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2017, 01:44:09 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Could you imagine if a fine young American man like Gordon Hayward or Jayson Tatum or Doug McDermott or Jeremy Lin were murdered in Mexico City for any reason whatsoever?

How about Kidnapped, How easy would it be for a cartel to spot a 6'9" American basketball player that everyone knew was worth 100 million dollars?

The player is out enjoying nightlife and us forced into a van at gunpoint. Now they want 10 million. I'm sure NBA players would love to live there. Not!

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2017, 01:45:50 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

How about Kidnapped, How easy would it be for a cartel to spot a 6'9" American basketball player that everyone knew was worth 100 million dollars?

The player is out enjoying nightlife and us forced into a van at gunpoint. Now they want 10 million. I'm sure NBA players would love to live there. Not!
But the NBA tries to cheap out and negotiates for only 50mill so they get him back but minus his left hand

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2017, 02:40:33 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It occurs to me that the league would be better served focusing on expanding the D-League (G-League?). I know they're not big money makers but if every team had its own affiliate, and it was a real league, having it as a smaller, less expensive alternative in areas where the closest NBA franchise might be far away could become a viable (if small) revenue stream for the league.

And that also makes the NBA product better by allowing more late bloomers a place to develop in the US.

This has been an issue for a number of years, but your wish is actually coming to reality. Beginning in the 18-19 season, there will only be two teams left that do not have a G-League affiliate (Blazers and Nuggets). A few other teams don't actually own their G-League affiliate, but I imagine over the next few years, all of this will be ironed out.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/06/nba-g-league-affiliates-for-201718-season.html

It has been a long time coming for sure. It makes you realize how lucky we have been to have the Red Claws for such a long time. Hopefully with the introduction of two-way contracts and each team having an affiliate, there will be a much more fluid system in play. Teams like the Cs with so many picks shouldn't be penalized.

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2017, 03:00:12 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

But the NBA tries to cheap out and negotiates for only 50mill so they get him back but minus his left hand
which shouldn't be an issue provided the player is a righty without any kind of crossover move ;)

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2017, 03:03:48 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Agreed. It probably wouldn't have affected Perkins for example. Granted Perk would kill them