Author Topic: Good Example of Why Sports "Reporting" is a farce  (Read 2214 times)

Good Example of Why Sports "Reporting" is a farce
« on: July 25, 2017, 08:39:43 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
You have Steven A. Smith citing unnamed sources who quote Lebron.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20154792/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers-denies-reported-role-kyrie-irving-trade-demand-saga

To which Lebron (the quoted party and primary source of information) responds through twitter, denying association with the quotes.

Which leads Steven A. to double down on his now-debunked-by-the-actual source- quote.

ESPN characteristically stands by Steven A. Smith and refutes Lebron's version of events.

If you're interested at all in history, or journalism I think this is a really spectacular case study in how unnamed/unverifiable sources have become FAR more important  to what's reported on than actual primary sources.  Lebron literally has to create his own media stream through a decentralized news source to even get his version of the story out.

Sports Journalism has lead the way for all journalism to give more weight to the words of people who refuse to be quoted than the people the quotes are actually attributed to.

To quote the nation's heel ... "SAD."

Re: Good Example of Why Sports "Reporting" is a farce
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 09:08:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20154792/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers-denies-reported-role-kyrie-irving-trade-demand-saga

To which Lebron (the quoted party and primary source of information) responds through twitter, denying association with the quotes.

Which leads Steven A. to double down on his now-debunked-by-the-actual source- quote.

ESPN characteristically stands by Steven A. Smith and refutes Lebron's version of events.

If you're interested at all in history, or journalism I think this is a really spectacular case study in how unnamed/unverifiable sources have become FAR more important  to what's reported on than actual primary sources.  Lebron literally has to create his own media stream through a decentralized news source to even get his version of the story out.

Sports Journalism has lead the way for all journalism to give more weight to the words of people who refuse to be quoted than the people the quotes are actually attributed to.

I don't know. Lebron James isn't your typical "primary" source of information he is really more like a company. He has a calculated moves, media leaks and career moves based on improving his brand sentiment and power. It is entirely possible he (or his brand to continue the analogy) said something and noticed it was being scored in a very unfavorable away by the public and decided to reverse course. I don't think Steven A Smith is some sort of truth teller or all around solid guy, but it is a little bit more complicated than your post would make it out to be.

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 09:19:38 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Denial isn't debunking. People lie, people misremember, people get nitpicky about phrasing when they're feeling defensive.

And in areas where there are actual legal consequences to statements (like political reporting) reading denials very carefully gives a pretty clear sense of what's probably accurate about the report.

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 09:48:44 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
How were Smith's statements about Lebron "newsworthy"?

"This guy wants to kick this other guy's butt?" Are you seriously calling yourself professional, Stephen A Smith?

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 10:04:53 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Lebron literally has to create his own media stream through a decentralized news source to even get his version of the story out.

Poor Lebron, it must be so difficult to be in his shoes and have no media outlets whatsoever report what he wants to the people? He must feel really helpless right now.

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 02:43:17 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
The problem here is Smith not Lebron.

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 03:19:14 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
The problem here is Smith not Lebron.

We'll see. The o ly point you can verify that is when the full story comes out. I doubt it ever will though.

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 06:04:28 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I don't think Smith ever said he was quoting James or that his sources were quoting James.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 08:27:18 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I'd like to know about the Boston/Cavs playoff game he alludes to.  I remember thinking that LeBUM gave up.

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 08:38:05 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't think Smith ever said he was quoting James or that his sources were quoting James.

That's why I'm confused by SAS's reaction.

One of Lebron's buddies says something silly, like Lebron would be tempted to fight Kyrie. Lebron disagrees, and basically calls it fake news. SAS then threatens the "truth" about something that happened several years ago?  SAS looks unprofessional.

As for sports reporting, it's *all* media that is a farce. "News" is driven by ratings and agendas, pretty much across the spectrum.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 03:24:26 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

That's why I'm confused by SAS's reaction.

One of Lebron's buddies says something silly, like Lebron would be tempted to fight Kyrie. Lebron disagrees, and basically calls it fake news. SAS then threatens the "truth" about something that happened several years ago?  SAS looks unprofessional.

As for sports reporting, it's *all* media that is a farce. "News" is driven by ratings and agendas, pretty much across the spectrum.
just trying to draw ratings I think.  This is where a guy like SAS gets into trouble.  he starts mixing his actual reporting with his personality interest ratings driving side.  It is very hard to do both and not have it be a problem at some point.  That is why you generally see most of the guys either be reporters (the Schefter's of the world) or be opinionated talk show host types (Mike & Mike, Cowherd, Bayless, etc.).  Very few can successfully do both. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 03:30:17 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

I understand how anonymous sources can be necessary to some stories. But far too often it's a crutch for modern journalists (sports and otherwise) to play with some version of the truth and mix in however much speculation they want. It's literally gossip level.

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 05:20:43 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville