Author Topic: Are We Screwed If Wizards Do A S&T For Cousins Next Summer?  (Read 6061 times)

Re: Are We Screwed If Wizards Do A S&T For Cousins Next Summer?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 04:10:25 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Definitely not screwed.

Any scenario where Cousins leaves NOP increases the likelihood of AD becoming available on the trade market for us. Yeah the Wizards would be a pretty big foe. But I'd honestly be happy to see more competition in the eastern conference.

I don't see Otto Porter keeping Anthony Davis in New Orleans past his current deal.

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 04:16:30 PM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
So I was thinking about this the past few days as we heard all the Irving rumors, but you can tell Cleveland's reign is about to end, and it's likely after 2018, BOTH Lebron and Irving are gone from Cleveland. And while Rose is still a great player when healthy, Irving to me is better than him and I don't see how Rose really upgrades Cleveland ESPECIALLY if Irving is traded as a result.

So the East may be a dogfight between Boston, Washington, Milwaukee, Philadelphia and Toronto for years to come I assume (especially if MIL and PHI take huge strides next few seasons and PHI are actually healthy).

But something that came to mind and I've seen over the past few weeks in threads... people talking about how the Wiz can get Cousins next summer through a sign and trade  :o

If Pelicans duo of Cousins-AD doesn't work as expected, they'll keep AD but probably let Cousins (and others) go.

Washington may be willing to do a sign and trade with NOP for Cousins (to fit him in their cap space since right now they may be paying a luxury tax as it is).

Maybe something like Porter (max guy), picks and small assets for Cousins?

Does that work, and could a sign and trade be worked out between WAS-NO for Cousins, or is there no way that's possible and I just posted all this for no reason?

Anyways, if it is possible and it does happen, yeah Cousins could be a cancer BUT that Wizards team becomes a lot more talented and idk if the team can handle a trio of Wall-Beal-Cousins lol. ALTHOUGH I'd assume our bench would still be a lot better than Washington's, but as we've seen in recent years, talent wins in this league.

Are we screwed if a Velociraptor shows up at training camp and demolishes everyone/everything in sight?

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 05:08:32 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Definitely not screwed.

Any scenario where Cousins leaves NOP increases the likelihood of AD becoming available on the trade market for us. Yeah the Wizards would be a pretty big foe. But I'd honestly be happy to see more competition in the eastern conference.

I don't see Otto Porter keeping Anthony Davis in New Orleans past his current deal.
Why, because it increases the likelihood of AD becoming frustrated?  What about the scenario where Cousins goes to the Cavs for Irving?

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 06:20:20 PM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Wizards seem like the epitome of a team that would implode with a guy like Cousins on it.

People don't seem to understand how negative his personality is that nobody wants to touch him with that talent. There's a fine line between immaturity and psychological issues, I think he's straddling that line.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 08:25:03 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
The Wizards almost knocked us off last year with a starting frontline of Gortat and Morris, and we struggled to deal with that.

So essentially, yes.  Give them the most dominant center (and perhaps big man) in the entire game and there's no chance we beat them in a 7 game series with Marcus Morris and Al Horford.

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2017, 08:25:51 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
Wizards seem like the epitome of a team that would implode with a guy like Cousins on it.

People don't seem to understand how negative his personality is that nobody wants to touch him with that talent. There's a fine line between immaturity and psychological issues, I think he's straddling that line.

Yeah, he has torn the entire Pelicans team apart huh?

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2017, 08:27:18 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
If New Orleans made Cousins available it would mean he was a disaster. If he goes from being a disaster in Sacramento to being a disaster in N0ew Orleans, while playing alongisde one of the league's best young players, then all of the "Is it Boogie or is it Sac?" questions get answered. And I will only be afraid of Cousins if he joins the Celtics.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 09:23:54 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
If New Orleans made Cousins available it would mean he was a disaster. If he goes from being a disaster in Sacramento to being a disaster in N0ew Orleans, while playing alongisde one of the league's best young players, then all of the "Is it Boogie or is it Sac?" questions get answered. And I will only be afraid of Cousins if he joins the Celtics.

Or it could just mean that a team centered around Anthony Davis and Demarcus Cousins (the two best big men in the game, who both are at their best with the ball in their hands) doesn't work all that great.

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2017, 09:26:03 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
The Wizards almost knocked us off last year with a starting frontline of Gortat and Morris, and we struggled to deal with that.

So essentially, yes.  Give them the most dominant center (and perhaps big man) in the entire game and there's no chance we beat them in a 7 game series with Marcus Morris and Al Horford.

Right, because we beat them last year and added Hayward and Tatum but that counts for nothing. But losing Porter + what little depth WAS has for Cousins is more than enough that we would have "no chance".

I swear, the angst, self-loathing and hyperbole on this site sometimes...    ::)

Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2017, 09:48:52 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
There is very little evidence to support the theory that adding Demarcus Cousins drastically increases the win total of an NBA basketball team. Until that changes, I'll continue to not give a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. about his lazy stat-padding output.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2017, 10:02:20 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
There is very little evidence to support the theory that adding Demarcus Cousins drastically increases the win total of an NBA basketball team. Until that changes, I'll continue to not give a **** about his lazy stat-padding output.

I would suggest looking up stats before making those kinds of blanket statements.

Last I checked the statistics clearly indicate that the Sacramento Kings were a far worse without Cousins then they were with him. 

This was reflected in everything from advanced stats (like Real Plus Minus, which Cousins has been among league leaders in for years now) all the way down to the most basic stats (like Win/Loss record with/without Cousins playing). 

If I recall correctly the Kings record over the past 4 or 5 years was close to 50% in games Cousins played in, and closer to 30% in games he didn't play in.  That's the difference between a fringe playoff team and a bad lottery team.

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2017, 10:03:34 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

Right, because we beat them last year and added Hayward and Tatum but that counts for nothing. But losing Porter + what little depth WAS has for Cousins is more than enough that we would have "no chance".

I swear, the angst, self-loathing and hyperbole on this site sometimes...    ::)
With the depth they will have for getting Cousins i doubt they even make the playoffs..

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2017, 10:07:05 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Oh, so we are counting the fact that Wizards lost Porter, but we are ignoring the fact that Boston lost Avery Bradley and Kelly Olynyk (who were both instrumental to us beating Washington) along with Zeller, Jerebko and Amir Johnson. 

But we are factoring in the fact that we added Hayward (a fringe star who is at best top 5 at his position) and a rookie who has yet to play an NBA game, while ignoring the fact that the Wizards would be adding Cousins who is by far the best center in the entire NBA.

I mean you could make a legit argument that the ONLY reason we got past Washington is that freak single-game outburst by Kelly Olynyk - who happens to be one of the guys we had to dump in order to get Hayward.

You could also make a legit argument that we wouldn't have gotten past Chicago without Bradley (who outplayed Jimmy Butler) who we also had to sacrifice in order to sign Gordon Hayward. 

But the Wizards giving up a fringe starter who had A modest impact on the series (in Otto Porter) is somehow more significant then that.   

Right...hyperbole

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2017, 10:13:06 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

With the depth they will have for getting Cousins i doubt they even make the playoffs..

And how much depth did we give up when we dumped Olynyk, Zeller and Jerebko and replaced them with Baynes and bunch of rookies who have never played an NBA game?

How many combined seasons of NBA experience does our entire bench have right now?

* Baynes has 5
* Smart has 3
* Rozier has 2
* Brown has 1

Wait - is that it?   Are there legit only three players on our entire bench who have played more then one NBA season? 

Lets not kid ourselves. 

The future of this Celtics team is very bright no doubt about it - but our position this season isn't as great as people seem to think it is.  Getting cocky and failing to respect your opponent is not the path to victory. 

Last season we were the #1 seed and still every series we playoff series we played in proved more difficult then they should have been.  We were blown out way too many times by teams who had no business blowing us out.  Multiple 15+ point losses to the Wizards is not an acceptable result for a team that people are placing such high expectations on.

Be happy with the team we have by all means, but don't underestimate our opponents.  We struggled mightily to beat the Wizards last year and managed to cling on by the hair of our teeth thanks to a once-in-a-lifetime performance from Kelly Olynyk, then got utterly embarrassed by the Cavs. Lets not get carried away with out own superiority, the Celtics have their work cut out for them. 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 10:24:00 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2017, 10:24:44 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

And how much depth did we give up when we dumped Olynyk, Zeller and Jerebko and replaced them with Baynes and bunch of rookies who have never played an NBA game?

How many combined seasons of NBA experience does our entire bench have right now?

* Baynes has 5
* Smart has 3
* Rozier has 2
* Brown has 1

Wait - is that it?   Are there legit only three players on our entire bench who have played more then one NBA season?
Experience only counts for so much when you have little talent, like Zeller and Jerebko. AJ was barely being given minutes down the stretch because he was not helping our team at all. We barely gave up any depth because the only significant contributor we lost was Olynyk, and we already upgraded our bigs with adding Baynes and Morris.

Plus, it's likely that one of Morris or Crowder come off the bench, both who have been in the league for a handful of years. Just because our bench has some inexperienced players doesn't mean they won't be able to contribute.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)