Author Topic: Smart Should Replace Bradley  (Read 2480 times)

Re: Smart Should Replace Bradley
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 11:58:19 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
I love Jaylen Brown, but Smart is more ready for the Starting role Avery left open. Rozier can step up and get more minutes at PG., we are gonna need Rozier to play a much bigger role this year.

Maybe that's why Smart is in such tremendous shape right now, he could get 36 MPG right now with Bradley gone.

It depends on if Rozier can run the 2nd unit. If he can't Smart still has to come off the bench to make sure there is a ball handler with the 2nd team.  It may be one of those Brown starts and Smart checks in after 5-6 minutes to replace Brown and run the 2nd unit when subs are made.

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 01:17:32 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I love Jaylen Brown, but Smart is more ready for the Starting role Avery left open. Rozier can step up and get more minutes at PG., we are gonna need Rozier to play a much bigger role this year.

Maybe that's why Smart is in such tremendous shape right now, he could get 36 MPG right now with Bradley gone.
They already had this situation last season and largely used Brown. My guess is that they will try Hayward there for a bit before they learn the hard way that they need to kick Crowder off of the starting lineup and start a real defensive guard.

I agree. Plus they don't want a starter who can't hit open 3's, especially when defenses collapse on IT and Hayward. There will be a lot of open 3's.

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 01:45:03 PM »

Offline BostonClamCrowdah

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 14
IT
Hayward
Crowder
Morris
Horford

NExt?

Re: Smart to replace Bradley
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 01:49:51 PM »

Offline Bostoncelticsforlife7

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
The problem with Smart starting is that leaves us with only Rozier to run our second unit, and I dont think he's ready for that.
I think Smart will start at shooting guard and will also get the majority of the backup point guard minutes, so that's probably not going to be a problem.
Warning: I am a Marucs Smart homer

Re: Smart to replace Bradley
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 03:52:33 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Wouldn't the logical replacement in the starting lineup for Bradley be Hayward?

A problem with this is IT will then be forced to guard the oppositions PG, as Hayward probably isn't quick enough to guard quick guards, Having Bradley and Smart has helped to IT on defense, now we only have one defensive backcourt stud.

Also if we start small with Crowder or Morris at PF, then Smarts lack of shooting touch won't crush our spacing as much as it would have with Amir on the floor last year.

This is not a problem at all. The talk of hiding IT on defence is hollow. Bradley used to guard the pg position because it was his elite skill. Isaiah can defend the pg position adequately for our system. It will require improved help defense from the bigs which we should get given we have become younger and more athletic in that regard.

Smart is best covering the 2 guard anyway, where he can play help defense. That is his elite skill.

Hayward at the 2 also causes huge match up problems at the other end of the court which will greatly reduce the pressure on Isaiah.

On your second point, I believe that Baynes is going to fill the Amir role. Morris or Smart will come in at the end of the game to give our best lineup but Brad has consistently shown that he wants to keep Horford away from the battering in the post. Given his injury history it makes sense as well.
I agree with Sundance 1,000% percent.  I have no issues with IT guarding PG's, which he can do well enough.  Start Hayward and get on with it.

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2017, 03:52:48 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Yeah, IT was Smart to replace Bradley  ;D

I'm okay with Smart/Jaylen at the 2
Truuuuuuuuuth!