Author Topic: 2017-2018 Anthony Davis season Watch Thread  (Read 18540 times)

Re: 2017-2018 Anthony Davis season Watch Thread
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2018, 08:56:40 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Cousins' injury also put the Pelicans in a predicament when it comes to Davis' future. He is signed for three more season but has said publicly that he wants to win. And Cousins is set to become an unrestricted free agent this offseason.

Davis said that hearing former players such as Kevin Garnett express regret about not asking sooner for a trade to a more competitive franchise has made him think.

"It makes you think, 'cause you're wondering if you're following in that same path," he said. "But then again, you're like, 'This year could be the year.'

"So, just got to take it year by year and just see, and see where the team is going, what direction they want to go to and just see where their head is."
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22517944/anthony-davis-says-new-orleans-pelicans-made-nba-finals-demarcus-cousins

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=TJS52KsNAjc

His salary is a problem in creating a trade though.

Don't want to give up Horford (I've explained why in NUMEROUS Davis threads in the past), but also don't want to give up BOTH Tatum + Brown (which might have to occur for a deal to happen I believe in terms of matching salaries).

I mean, I'd LOVE Davis, but I'm being a bit realistic too.

:(

As much as I love Horford if he is the foundation of a trade along with say the Lakers and Grizzlies pick, and we get to keep Tatum and Brown I would do it in a second.  Horford and Davis both prefer PF, and will play C in in smaller lineups. So I’m not sure they are the best fit side by side as bigs.

Of course getting Horford in return wouldn’t make much sense for the Pelicans.  He’d probably have to go to a 3rd team that would be competing, and get more picks from the 3rd team.

« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2018, 09:45:43 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Davis not going anywhere
so even though Davis has told the pelicans he wants to win or he’s out, you believe a cousins-less roster will make noise enough to keep him there?

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2018, 11:45:39 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
Davis not going anywhere

Such confidence..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2018, 11:47:56 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=TJS52KsNAjc

Last question in the video

“Is it good enough to make the playoffs?

AD: no”

« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2018, 02:58:36 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 548
So i want to bring this up, only because I dont think its been mentioned, but the LA/SAC pick is #1 for 2019 if it doesn't convey this year which is looking like the case. How does that effect a potential AD trade or package? I have a hard time believing you could make the SAC pick a crucial part of a trade this summer if theres a 14% chance (likelihood of it being #1 if its in the top 3) that the NOP would be getting the 76er pick instead (Likely 15-20ish). So maybe any AD trade has to wait for summer 2019 to see where that picks ends up anyway.

« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2018, 05:34:53 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
So i want to bring this up, only because I dont think its been mentioned, but the LA/SAC pick is #1 for 2019 if it doesn't convey this year which is looking like the case. How does that effect a potential AD trade or package? I have a hard time believing you could make the SAC pick a crucial part of a trade this summer if theres a 14% chance (likelihood of it being #1 if its in the top 3) that the NOP would be getting the 76er pick instead (Likely 15-20ish). So maybe any AD trade has to wait for summer 2019 to see where that picks ends up anyway.

New Orleans are more aware than anyone about how waiting too long puts the other team at a significant negotiating advantage: See Divac, Vlade.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2018, 10:09:58 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Davis' salary will roughly be 25.4, meaning we would need to get to roughly 20.4 in salary to trade for him.

Morris, Rozier, and Tatum all have significant raises in their salary into the off-season. Morris will be just over 5.5 million, Rozier just over 3 million, and Tatum just over 6.7 million. A combination of Yabusele, Ojeyle, and Nader plus the above players would be enough. However, 6 for 1 trades are pretty rare and unlikely.

In the end, trading for Davis without giving up Kyrie, Hayward, or Horford would hinge on a sign-and-trade with Marcus Smart. If his contract was the MLE (8.4), then Smart, Tatum, and Morris would be enough salary to get it done (but would it be enough talent to get it done?). I can't imagine Smart being too thrilled to agree to a sign-and-trade, unless he got significantly more than the open market offered. In other words, for him to agree, he'd probably need to be around 12-15 million a year, but would the Pelicans be willing to do that? Probably not.

There is another big problem, however. Anthony Davis has an estimated 15% trade kicker. He would need to waive that in order for the Cs to trade with him.

Another possibility is, if we are able to get the Lakers pick (big IF), then we draft a player, sign him, and they trade him in combination with Morris, Tatum, Rozier, and Nader. This is what happened a few years ago with the Wiggins-Love trade.

Obviously it'd be great to get Davis, but I am perfectly content with not getting him. I think the Kyrie-Brown-Hayward-Tatum-Horford core can win it all.

« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2018, 10:25:20 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I think KG would be a very good resource for Davis (and honestly everyone, KG is great). He has first hand experience languishing on small market teams with less than competent front offices. He gave similar advice to Lebron the summer that he left for Miami:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/garnett-to-lebron-loyalty-can-hurt/

NBA players are becoming more aware that loyalty is a tool of manipulation. There are certainly instances where teams show players they care about them, but it's far from a given.

If I were Davis I'd start hedging my way out of NO, which he might be hinting at. You don't have to go Eric Bledsoe to get it done. I think Kyrie handled his discontent in the appropriate way: informing the team and giving them some time to evaluate their options. The Cavs basically ignored him for a year, which was stupid, and forced him to be more aggressive. All indications are that he didn't burn his way out of town.

I'd be surprised if Davis is with the Pelicans through 2019/20. My guess is they miss the playoffs this year, resign Boogie in the summer, grab a low seed in 2019 and get bounced early. At that point, Davis should see the writing on the wall. He's too injury prone to wait until his 30s to make a move.

Even if it's not Boston, he can do much better than the worst market in the NBA and a bottom 5 front office.

« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2018, 11:34:12 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I completely agree with JBcat that if Horford HAS TO be part of any Davis trade, (DA would go to Al and let him know first, I would think), and then try to trade him, as part of a 3-team deal, to a contending team. If DA trades Al, without his consent, to NOLA I'm not sure how that would affect attracting future free agents though we wouldn't need any of significance for A WHILE as long as AD, Kyrie and Hayward are on the team.

« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2018, 11:39:21 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
Davis' salary will roughly be 25.4, meaning we would need to get to roughly 20.4 in salary to trade for him.

Morris, Rozier, and Tatum all have significant raises in their salary into the off-season. Morris will be just over 5.5 million, Rozier just over 3 million, and Tatum just over 6.7 million. A combination of Yabusele, Ojeyle, and Nader plus the above players would be enough. However, 6 for 1 trades are pretty rare and unlikely.

In the end, trading for Davis without giving up Kyrie, Hayward, or Horford would hinge on a sign-and-trade with Marcus Smart. If his contract was the MLE (8.4), then Smart, Tatum, and Morris would be enough salary to get it done (but would it be enough talent to get it done?). I can't imagine Smart being too thrilled to agree to a sign-and-trade, unless he got significantly more than the open market offered. In other words, for him to agree, he'd probably need to be around 12-15 million a year, but would the Pelicans be willing to do that? Probably not.

There is another big problem, however. Anthony Davis has an estimated 15% trade kicker. He would need to waive that in order for the Cs to trade with him.

Another possibility is, if we are able to get the Lakers pick (big IF), then we draft a player, sign him, and they trade him in combination with Morris, Tatum, Rozier, and Nader. This is what happened a few years ago with the Wiggins-Love trade.

Obviously it'd be great to get Davis, but I am perfectly content with not getting him. I think the Kyrie-Brown-Hayward-Tatum-Horford core can win it all.

can't we sign monroe to 120% and then include him?

« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2018, 11:46:45 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Excellent point. TP.

« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2018, 03:00:52 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
So what do people think happens with Cousins this FA? Does NOP keep him? Do they give him the max still (or close to it)?

If they keep Cousins then I don't think there's a chance we land him. If they do let Cousins "walk", then there may be a window to trade for AD in the next 1-2 years.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2018, 03:17:50 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

can't we sign monroe to 120% and then include him?

Then we are getting into the middle of December before the trade can happen.

« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2018, 04:59:50 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 548

New Orleans are more aware than anyone about how waiting too long puts the other team at a significant negotiating advantage: See Divac, Vlade.

« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2018, 05:01:03 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Honestly, I like Tatum so much, I have a hard time imagining a scenario where I'd be satisfied with a trade that saw him (or Jay Brown for that matter) leave town.