Author Topic: 2017-2018 Anthony Davis season Watch Thread  (Read 18647 times)

2017-2018 Anthony Davis season Watch Thread
« on: July 25, 2017, 12:20:21 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
why watch the Pelicans?

According to Mannix, other execs believe Boston makes serious run for Davis if Pelicans have bad season:
https://sports.yahoo.com/lonzo-ball-may-part-best-rookie-point-guard-class-ever-171849422.html

"In addition, rival executives expect Boston to be keeping close tabs on New Orleans, which is entering a critical season. The Pelicans are committed to seeing if an Anthony Davis-DeMarcus Cousins frontcourt can work, but if the season goes awry, it’s widely believed the Celtics will make a strong run at Davis, who is under contract through 2020.

Ideally we want the Pelicans to miss of the playoffs.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 11:21:18 PM by CelticsElite »

Re: 2017-2018 NO Pelicans Season watch Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 01:01:41 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
why watch the Pelicans?

According to Mannix, other execs believe Boston makes serious run for Davis if Pelicans have bad season:
https://sports.yahoo.com/lonzo-ball-may-part-best-rookie-point-guard-class-ever-171849422.html

"In addition, rival executives expect Boston to be keeping close tabs on New Orleans, which is entering a critical season. The Pelicans are committed to seeing if an Anthony Davis-DeMarcus Cousins frontcourt can work, but if the season goes awry, it’s widely believed the Celtics will make a strong run at Davis, who is under contract through 2020.

Ideally we want the Pelicans to miss of the playoffs.

In the tough west, it's possible they could miss playoffs. But they're already tough with four All-star players in Rajon Rondo, Jrue Holiday, DeMarcus Cousins, and Anthony Davis.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 01:08:52 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Come on OP, just title this thread what it should be.

"Anthony Davis Watch Thread"  :laugh:

I think our only real chance of getting him is if Davis is frustrated and wants out. NOP front office won't deal him and if the Cousins-Rondo-AD experiment doesn't work, they'll keep AD, let the others go and try again.

Frankly I think we have a slightly better chance at Porzingis than AD to be honest, although yeah, they both are long shots as it is.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 12:44:46 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Come on OP, just title this thread what it should be.

"Anthony Davis Watch Thread"  :laugh:

I think our only real chance of getting him is if Davis is frustrated and wants out. NOP front office won't deal him and if the Cousins-Rondo-AD experiment doesn't work, they'll keep AD, let the others go and try again.

Frankly I think we have a slightly better chance at Porzingis than AD to be honest, although yeah, they both are long shots as it is.
tp

Changed due to popular demand haha

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20157251/anthony-davis-says-new-orleans-pelicans-tired-losing-tools-win

Anthony Davis officially "tired of losing"

Re: 2017-2018 Anthony Davis/ NO Pelicans Season Watch Thread
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 06:13:00 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/08/boston_celtics_trade_rumors_20_261.html

As much as he tries to tune out trade whispers during the offseason, New Orleans Pelicans forward Anthony Davis admitted Tuesday that it's been difficult to shake off the narrative of a potential deal to the Boston Celtics.

Speaking with reporters Tuesday following his offseason basketball camp, Davis acknowledged that even his camp participants couldn't resist from asking him about his rumored departure.

"I get asked all types of random stuff," Davis told NOLA.com's William Guillory. "The craziest (question) was if I was going to Boston."

Of course, the likelihood of Davis packing his bags and leaving New Orleans is slim, to say the least.

Davis, 24, is under contract for the next four years and is expected to form a deadly frontcourt with fellow All-Star DeMarcus Cousins. Even if Pelicans management decided to part ways with Davis, it would take a monster haul to acquire the four-time All-Star.

And yet, even with all of the signs pointing to Davis staying in New Orleans, the talented forward admitted that he spoke with his agent Thaddeus Foucher and Pelicans GM Dell Demps to ease his fears about a rumored deal to Boston.

"I understand it's a business, but if I don't hear anything from Dell or my agent, I don't pay attention to it," Davis said of the Celtics' rumors. "Once I first heard (the rumors), then I heard it again, then I heard it again, I just wanted to make sure. I found out it wasn't (true), and that was the beginning of the summer, so I haven't paid attention to it since."

Davis, who averaged 28 points and 11.8 rebounds last season, will look to help snap the Pelicans' two-year postseason drought this year. Even with the addition of Cousins, New Orleans was on the outside looking in at the Western Conference last season -- finishing with a record of 34-48.

You have to admit, that is kind of funny.  :laugh:

Really hoping Pelicans come out and suck and Davis gets frustrated (REAL frustrated).

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 06:36:22 PM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/08/boston_celtics_trade_rumors_20_261.html

As much as he tries to tune out trade whispers during the offseason, New Orleans Pelicans forward Anthony Davis admitted Tuesday that it's been difficult to shake off the narrative of a potential deal to the Boston Celtics.

Speaking with reporters Tuesday following his offseason basketball camp, Davis acknowledged that even his camp participants couldn't resist from asking him about his rumored departure.

"I get asked all types of random stuff," Davis told NOLA.com's William Guillory. "The craziest (question) was if I was going to Boston."

Of course, the likelihood of Davis packing his bags and leaving New Orleans is slim, to say the least.

Davis, 24, is under contract for the next four years and is expected to form a deadly frontcourt with fellow All-Star DeMarcus Cousins. Even if Pelicans management decided to part ways with Davis, it would take a monster haul to acquire the four-time All-Star.

And yet, even with all of the signs pointing to Davis staying in New Orleans, the talented forward admitted that he spoke with his agent Thaddeus Foucher and Pelicans GM Dell Demps to ease his fears about a rumored deal to Boston.

"I understand it's a business, but if I don't hear anything from Dell or my agent, I don't pay attention to it," Davis said of the Celtics' rumors. "Once I first heard (the rumors), then I heard it again, then I heard it again, I just wanted to make sure. I found out it wasn't (true), and that was the beginning of the summer, so I haven't paid attention to it since."

Davis, who averaged 28 points and 11.8 rebounds last season, will look to help snap the Pelicans' two-year postseason drought this year. Even with the addition of Cousins, New Orleans was on the outside looking in at the Western Conference last season -- finishing with a record of 34-48.

Really hoping Pelicans come out and suck and Davis gets frustrated (REAL frustrated).

Their schedule is one of the more difficult ones, I don't really expect them to be in the playoff hunt, maybe fight for the 8th seed only to get embarrassed in 4/5 games. Their two best players are big and the elite teams is going small, successfully.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 05:40:30 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Their schedule is one of the more difficult ones, I don't really expect them to be in the playoff hunt, maybe fight for the 8th seed only to get embarrassed in 4/5 games. Their two best players are big and the elite teams is going small, successfully.

Yeah although if Cousins and AD are both red hot, they could give GSW a bit of trouble since I really don't think Zaza and McGee are the answers for them in that matchup LOL.

But yeah the rest of the lineup would cream New Orleans.

Fingers crossed lol.

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 10:32:43 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Well Anthony Davis hype thread. It was fun while it lasted!

Unfortunately even if the C's wanted to try I don't think they have enough to offer for AD in a trade.

Even a package centered around Brown/Tatum + Lakers Pick wouldn't work or be considered.

This is where losing that Nets Pick also HURTS.

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 10:35:41 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941

Unfortunately even if the C's wanted to try I don't think they have enough to offer for AD in a trade.

Even a package centered around Brown/Tatum + Lakers Pick wouldn't work or be considered.

Simply add Kyrie to that a few months from now and it works in trade machine. Nothing would surprise me anymore.

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 10:38:58 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Simply add Kyrie to that a few months from now and it works in trade machine. Nothing would surprise me anymore.

Why would they trade all that for Irving and then trade even more assets all for AD??

And then who is our starting PG and facilitator? Smart? Teddy Freakin' Rozier? LOL.

But yeah at this point who knows, it may just happen LOL.

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 10:46:27 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
If the Lakers pick conveys and we get say the #2 pick, why wouldnt a trade focused around Tatum/#2/Brown work?...What team could beat that?

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 11:05:17 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
If the Lakers pick conveys and we get say the #2 pick, why wouldnt a trade focused around Tatum/#2/Brown work?...What team could beat that?

Idk but how does our team look then?

That team would lack depth and not have a strong bench if they made a trade centered around that.

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 11:14:30 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

Idk but how does our team look then?

That team would lack depth and not have a strong bench if they made a trade centered around that.

Hayward/Davis/Irving/Smart/Rozier/Yabusele + ring chasing vets

Would be better than

Hayward/Horford/Irving/Brown/Tatum/Yabusele/Rozier

(I include Horford moving because his contract would need to be moved for this to even be possible...Basically wont happen but still)

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 02:00:54 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
https://www.si.com/nba/2017/08/25/anthony-davis-celtics-rumors-trade-pelicans-kyrie-irving-lebron-james

Sports Illustrated wonders if Anthony Davis is the ultimate 'end game' here for Ainge.

Basically they think Anthony Davis could pull a Kyrie, telling NOP he wants out next summer and then Pelicans having to try and trade for him. This is assuming NOP have another losing season and AD-Cousins experiment doesn't go too well. The added bonus for us is, LOTS of players LOVE Irving and consider him "the real deal". Having Irving here definitely puts us on the map even more and is another lure in a sense, along with coach Stevens, Ainge and the growing youth.

Of course, the Pelicans choose where AD can get traded to, and frankly it will be tough because now BOS doesn't have that many assets to use and I'm sure other teams will try super hard for AD if the price drops a bit.

But Pelicans FO also could see some of the stars like George and Butler go for essentially peanuts and think they should deal AD for legitimate value if he truly wants out (because after this year, he has 2 years left on his deal - with 3rd year Player Option).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 02:05:58 PM by Phantom255x »

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 06:21:17 PM »

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
https://www.si.com/nba/2017/08/25/anthony-davis-celtics-rumors-trade-pelicans-kyrie-irving-lebron-james

Sports Illustrated wonders if Anthony Davis is the ultimate 'end game' here for Ainge.

Basically they think Anthony Davis could pull a Kyrie, telling NOP he wants out next summer and then Pelicans having to try and trade for him. This is assuming NOP have another losing season and AD-Cousins experiment doesn't go too well. The added bonus for us is, LOTS of players LOVE Irving and consider him "the real deal". Having Irving here definitely puts us on the map even more and is another lure in a sense, along with coach Stevens, Ainge and the growing youth.

Of course, the Pelicans choose where AD can get traded to, and frankly it will be tough because now BOS doesn't have that many assets to use and I'm sure other teams will try super hard for AD if the price drops a bit.

But Pelicans FO also could see some of the stars like George and Butler go for essentially peanuts and think they should deal AD for legitimate value if he truly wants out (because after this year, he has 2 years left on his deal - with 3rd year Player Option).

Unfortunately, matching salary will be real tough in any of these negotiations.

You'd either have to trade Horford in the package or find a 3rd team to get involved in the deal to help out in that regard.

But I do think next summer could be another one with fireworks here if AD is on the block. This could be Ainge's "end game" for real!

Have to hope the Pelicans suck and AD gets frustrated.