Author Topic: 2017-2018 Anthony Davis season Watch Thread  (Read 18642 times)

Re: 2017-2018 Anthony Davis/ NO Pelicans Season Watch Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 07:02:26 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
https://www.si.com/nba/2017/08/25/anthony-davis-celtics-rumors-trade-pelicans-kyrie-irving-lebron-james

Sports Illustrated wonders if Anthony Davis is the ultimate 'end game' here for Ainge.

Basically they think Anthony Davis could pull a Kyrie, telling NOP he wants out next summer and then Pelicans having to try and trade for him. This is assuming NOP have another losing season and AD-Cousins experiment doesn't go too well. The added bonus for us is, LOTS of players LOVE Irving and consider him "the real deal". Having Irving here definitely puts us on the map even more and is another lure in a sense, along with coach Stevens, Ainge and the growing youth.

Of course, the Pelicans choose where AD can get traded to, and frankly it will be tough because now BOS doesn't have that many assets to use and I'm sure other teams will try super hard for AD if the price drops a bit.

But Pelicans FO also could see some of the stars like George and Butler go for essentially peanuts and think they should deal AD for legitimate value if he truly wants out (because after this year, he has 2 years left on his deal - with 3rd year Player Option).

Unfortunately, matching salary will be real tough in any of these negotiations.

You'd either have to trade Horford in the package or find a 3rd team to get involved in the deal to help out in that regard.

But I do think next summer could be another one with fireworks here if AD is on the block. This could be Ainge's "end game" for real!

Have to hope the Pelicans suck and AD gets frustrated.

On THE JUMP (ESPN), one of their guys said they wouldn't be surprised if ALL SEASON you hear chatter about Davis being on the block and the Celtics being rumored in those discussions. Another bad season for NOP and with 2 years remaining on his deal by next summer (3rd year PLAYER OPTION), this could be Trader Danny's end game.

Of course though, it will be tough to do without much in terms of matching salary unless Horford is included in the deal.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2017, 07:39:26 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20476861/solomon-hill-new-orleans-pelicans-undergoes-hamstring-surgery

New Orleans Pelicans forward Solomon Hill underwent surgery to repair a torn left hamstring and will miss six to eight months, the team announced Sunday.

The Pelicans said Hill suffered a proximal hamstring tear while working out in Los Angeles and that the surgery was successful.

Hill's loss will be difficult for the Pelicans, who have little depth at small forward.

New Orleans was already under significant pressure to make the playoffs with a starting five that includes Anthony Davis, DeMarcus Cousins and Jrue Holiday.

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2017, 08:49:49 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20476861/solomon-hill-new-orleans-pelicans-undergoes-hamstring-surgery

New Orleans Pelicans forward Solomon Hill underwent surgery to repair a torn left hamstring and will miss six to eight months, the team announced Sunday.

The Pelicans said Hill suffered a proximal hamstring tear while working out in Los Angeles and that the surgery was successful.

Hill's loss will be difficult for the Pelicans, who have little depth at small forward.

New Orleans was already under significant pressure to make the playoffs with a starting five that includes Anthony Davis, DeMarcus Cousins and Jrue Holiday.

(NOT the injury, hoping Hill has a speedy recovery. BUT the part about Pelicans playoff chances taking a hit aka Anthony Davis watch!)

That being said I'm backing away a bit from this dream, because I don't want to trade away our first marquee FA signing in franchise history, but then to match salaries in a trade we'd have to gut our team (Tatum, Smart, Brown, Rozier, ETC.)

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2017, 09:39:53 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

(NOT the injury, hoping Hill has a speedy recovery. BUT the part about Pelicans playoff chances taking a hit aka Anthony Davis watch!)

That being said I'm backing away a bit from this dream, because I don't want to trade away our first marquee FA signing in franchise history, but then to match salaries in a trade we'd have to gut our team (Tatum, Smart, Brown, Rozier, ETC.)
everything is going according to emperor ainges plans

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2017, 10:28:37 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Anthony Davis Says Pelicans Have "Most Talented Roster" He's Ever Played With

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.ssf/2017/09/anthony_davis_says_current_pel.html

It's been a constant struggle for the New Orleans Pelicans to find the right pieces to put around Anthony Davis after drafting him with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2012 NBA Draft.

A bevy of injuries and a few misguided roster moves has led to New Orleans only reaching the postseason once in Davis' first five years with the franchise, but things appear to be turning around.

At Monday's media day, the four-time All-Star said he was excited about the talent the Pelicans have been able to assemble on this year's roster and he said it's probably the most he's played with since entering the league.

"I think right now if you look at our roster, all of our guys could easily be in our rotation," Davis said. "I think this is probably the most talented roster we've had. But that's only on paper, we've got to go out and prove it."

Davis averaged 28 points, 11.8 rebounds and 2.2 blocks while shooting 50.5 percent from the field in 2016-17, but things drastically changed for him after the team acquired fellow All-Star big man DeMarcus Cousins in a blockbuster trade in February.

Cousins' addition provided Davis with a superstar teammate that helped the Pelicans keep up with some of the super teams that have dominated the Western Conference in recent years.

It took Cousins and Davis some time to build chemistry as teammates, but the duo spent much of the summer working out together to get a better feel for each other on the court.

"I think the biggest thing for me is trying to figure out how me and DeMarcus can make this thing work," Davis said. "Coming into it last year, it was kind of tough, and I think it was a lot of pressure on (Pelicans guard Jrue Holiday) too because he's trying to figure out getting me and DeMarcus the ball while still trying to be Jrue."

Even with the team's added experience, Davis said he wants to become more of a leader for the Pelicans this year so he can take the next step in his overall development.

"I think that's the next step: trying to lead this team physically, mentally and emotionally," Davis said. "I never really had to say much (as a leader)...but that's the next step for me."

Davis also acknowledged that the team does have a sense of urgency going into 2017-18 because of the potential for massive changes around the franchise if it doesn't reach the playoffs this year.

Cousins, Rondo, Clark and Allen will all have the opportunity to re-enter free agency next summer and Davis said the entire team understands how important it'll be for them to make things work quickly once the season starts.

"We've got one year basically to figure it out," Davis said. "DeMarcus came to me this summer and said he has to win...He's never been to the playoffs, he just wants to go to the playoffs. He's buying in, he's doing things he usually doesn't do in the summer time.

"He's all in with us and we're just trying to win for him, honestly. If we win for him, I think it can lead to some great things."

Pray he's wrong and the Pelicans implode (but are slightly better than Lakers). As the last part says (in bolded), they have a sense of urgency as another playoff failure + Cousins-AD not gelling could mean massive changes around the franchise (Cousins walks, AD on the trade block?).  :o

I just hope the Lakers Pick conveys and we have options going into next summer which could include trading for Davis OR Porzingis. But if LAL pick doesn't convey OR Pelicans make the playoffs, then GG for us.

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2017, 11:06:54 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
With the west more loaded now with new look thunder and wolves as well as other teams. Its gonna be real tough making the playoffs for the pelicans

1. Warriors
2. Rockets
3. Spurs
4. Thunder
5. Grizzlies
6. Clippers
7. Wolves
8. Blazers

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2017, 07:02:40 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
With the west more loaded now with new look thunder and wolves as well as other teams. Its gonna be real tough making the playoffs for the pelicans

1. Warriors
2. Rockets
3. Spurs
4. Thunder
5. Grizzlies
6. Clippers
7. Wolves
8. Blazers
Clips, Grizz and Blazers aren't particularly imposing.  If NOP clicks, they should be better than all 3 of them.  The Wolves should be good but they've got a habit of underperforming. 

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2017, 10:40:56 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

1. Warriors
2. Rockets
3. Spurs
4. Thunder
5. Grizzlies
6. Clippers
7. Wolves
8. Blazers
Clips, Grizz and Blazers aren't particularly imposing.  If NOP clicks, they should be better than all 3 of them.  The Wolves should be good but they've got a habit of underperforming.

I think the additions of Butler and saavy veterans in Crawford and Gibson will help the Wolves a lot though. Really can't see them missing the playoffs, and think they are probably a 5-6 seed.

Have to hope NOP doesn't click lol.

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2017, 10:44:38 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.ssf/2017/09/anthony_davis_says_current_pel.html

It's been a constant struggle for the New Orleans Pelicans to find the right pieces to put around Anthony Davis after drafting him with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2012 NBA Draft.

A bevy of injuries and a few misguided roster moves has led to New Orleans only reaching the postseason once in Davis' first five years with the franchise, but things appear to be turning around.

At Monday's media day, the four-time All-Star said he was excited about the talent the Pelicans have been able to assemble on this year's roster and he said it's probably the most he's played with since entering the league.

"I think right now if you look at our roster, all of our guys could easily be in our rotation," Davis said. "I think this is probably the most talented roster we've had. But that's only on paper, we've got to go out and prove it."

Davis averaged 28 points, 11.8 rebounds and 2.2 blocks while shooting 50.5 percent from the field in 2016-17, but things drastically changed for him after the team acquired fellow All-Star big man DeMarcus Cousins in a blockbuster trade in February.

Cousins' addition provided Davis with a superstar teammate that helped the Pelicans keep up with some of the super teams that have dominated the Western Conference in recent years.

It took Cousins and Davis some time to build chemistry as teammates, but the duo spent much of the summer working out together to get a better feel for each other on the court.

"I think the biggest thing for me is trying to figure out how me and DeMarcus can make this thing work," Davis said. "Coming into it last year, it was kind of tough, and I think it was a lot of pressure on (Pelicans guard Jrue Holiday) too because he's trying to figure out getting me and DeMarcus the ball while still trying to be Jrue."

Even with the team's added experience, Davis said he wants to become more of a leader for the Pelicans this year so he can take the next step in his overall development.

"I think that's the next step: trying to lead this team physically, mentally and emotionally," Davis said. "I never really had to say much (as a leader)...but that's the next step for me."

Davis also acknowledged that the team does have a sense of urgency going into 2017-18 because of the potential for massive changes around the franchise if it doesn't reach the playoffs this year.

Cousins, Rondo, Clark and Allen will all have the opportunity to re-enter free agency next summer and Davis said the entire team understands how important it'll be for them to make things work quickly once the season starts.

"We've got one year basically to figure it out," Davis said. "DeMarcus came to me this summer and said he has to win...He's never been to the playoffs, he just wants to go to the playoffs. He's buying in, he's doing things he usually doesn't do in the summer time.

"He's all in with us and we're just trying to win for him, honestly. If we win for him, I think it can lead to some great things."

Pray he's wrong and the Pelicans implode (but are slightly better than Lakers). As the last part says (in bolded), they have a sense of urgency as another playoff failure + Cousins-AD not gelling could mean massive changes around the franchise (Cousins walks, AD on the trade block?).  :o

I just hope the Lakers Pick conveys and we have options going into next summer which could include trading for Davis OR Porzingis. But if LAL pick doesn't convey OR Pelicans make the playoffs, then GG for us.

Considering his history in the NBA, not really that hard to say this is true.

The biggest hope is that the fit never works and that the lockerroom knucklehead drives Davis to want out of the team no matter what the team does.

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2017, 10:50:35 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Considering his history in the NBA, not really that hard to say this is true.

The biggest hope is that the fit never works and that the lockerroom knucklehead drives Davis to want out of the team no matter what the team does.

That, and the fact that the Pelicans still don't have a great bench and no star guard.

Rondo is a great facilitator and Holiday is a solid player, but when going up against teams with legitimate star PG's/SG's, it will be real tough for them.

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2017, 02:38:00 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Yes, it's just preseason, but so far, Pelicans are 0-2!   ;D

Davis 1st game: 24 points, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks (33 minutes)

Davis 2nd game: 14 points, 7 rebounds, 2 blocks (17 minutes)

Also, Rondo INJURED his groin in last night's preseason game. Something to monitor...

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2017, 04:01:14 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Yes, it's just preseason, but so far, Pelicans are 0-2!   ;D

Davis 1st game: 24 points, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks (33 minutes)

Davis 2nd game: 14 points, 7 rebounds, 2 blocks (17 minutes)

Also, Rondo INJURED his groin in last night's preseason game. Something to monitor...

take last nights starting boston line up ......remove Horford ......insert A. Davis .....Thats what im talking about !.

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2017, 07:51:53 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

Pelicans screwed themselves with bad contracts. Omer Asik barely plays, Alexis Ajinka barely plays, and Hill is out for the season.  $28 million in tied up salaries between those 3. Asik has 3 years left like Hill and Ajinka has 2 years left.
If it does not work I could see them trying to unload 1 of those salaries (Asik is the worst one) in a deal with Cousins.
Cousins and Asik
Al Horford
Cousins is 4 years younger than Al averages 12 rbs a game and shoots 38% from 3.....but he has shown headcase issues and we would need to resign him this summer. If he agreed to resign with us it would make things pretty interesting. But I would HATE taking back Asik's $11million contract for three years. If we waited we could do Ajinka and Darius instead and they have this year and next year left on their deals.

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2017, 08:18:09 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
^ taking on the headcase cousins and fat asik contract are both negatives, not positives. Why would we take both of those???

cousins was available and Danny with his war chest didn't offer even a 1st? What signals from the Celtics you seen where they want cousins or want to take on any bad contracts? You only take bad contracts when you're tanking not contending

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2017, 08:23:33 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I'm off Davis.  Something missing with him.

I'd rather keep Brown and Tatum, see what happens.