Author Topic: Morris and Crowder, strikingly similar  (Read 4191 times)

Morris and Crowder, strikingly similar
« on: July 24, 2017, 12:28:21 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

How about this last year Crowder's stats

32.4 mpg 13.9 ppg 2.2 APG 1 spg 5.5 3PA 1.1 TOV

Marcus Morris stats

32.5 mpg 14 PPG 2.0 APG .7 spg 4.5 3PA 1.1 TOV

That's pretty freaky similar right. Crowder had his best rebounding season ever, and Drummond hurts M and M's rebounding stats.
 Morris is actually a little better rebounder career stats wise, while Crowder's career numbers are better in FG% FT% while Morris is better with Career 3p%.

Crowder was the better 3p% shooter last year best of his career at almost .400% maybe due to the Horford effect.

Re: Morris and Crowder, strikingly similar
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 12:52:22 AM »

Offline Bostoncelticsforlife7

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
That is very weird. They play alike too, I think, but Morris likes to post up more than Crowder.
Warning: I am a Marucs Smart homer

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 01:39:44 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I think we will see Brad use him more like when he was in Houston/Phoenix, primarily at the 4 spot.

It just makes sense. They have a gluttony of guys capable of playing SF (Crowder, Tatum, Brown, Semi), but very few who can put in quality minutes at PF.

I expect to see at least 2/3 of his MPG at PF next season.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 02:21:05 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Hmm... so is Morris a top 10 SF too? And is Hayward really that much of an upgrade over Morris?
- LilRip

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 03:25:00 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Morris is more of a 4 than Crowder, and is a much better mid-range scorer.  That's not a super useful skill, especially on a team with Gordon Hayward and Isaiah Thomas, but could be useful on a bench unit lacking experienced scorers (although Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum will presumably play).

I think there's reason to believe IT - Hayward - Crowder - Morris - Horford could be a very strong lineup.

Crowder and Morris are both competent wing/swing players.  Nice pieces to have, especially for a combined $12-13 million per year.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 03:47:29 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
That is very weird. They play alike too, I think, but Morris likes to post up more than Crowder.
if morris posted someone once in his whole carer, it would be one time more than Crowder ever did :D
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 07:02:59 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I think most of us casual observers think of Morris as a better shooter.  The fact that the numbers don't bear that out begs for further analysis.

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 07:47:47 AM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
I think most of us casual observers think of Morris as a better shooter.  The fact that the numbers don't bear that out begs for further analysis.

I think Crowder has very clearly worked hard on his 3-point shooting and drastically improved over his career. When he can set his feet and shoot, he's better than Morris. Crowder can't beat anyone off the dribble, however, and when he has to move and shoot, he makes roughly zero percent of his shots, so Morris is better in that respect.

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 07:54:16 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
That's a nice find by KGLL. Hadn't realized their numbers are that close.

Even for their whole careers their numbers are not much apart.

@surferdad I also thought Crowder is the worse shooter. Maybe it's his shooting form (?)

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 08:15:49 AM »

Offline safecracker

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
  • JJ8

I think Crowder has very clearly worked hard on his 3-point shooting and drastically improved over his career. When he can set his feet and shoot, he's better than Morris. Crowder can't beat anyone off the dribble, however, and when he has to move and shoot, he makes roughly zero percent of his shots, so Morris is better in that respect.
I agree. Morris has some shot-creation skills that Crowder lacks. According to some Pistons boards I've been following, he also sometimes tries to do too much, ending up taking difficult shots. But I would imagine Morris will fare better in the more organized Celtics offense, and likewise, I think Crowder's production would drop somewhat in the Piston's offense since he would get fewer open looks. So over all, I believe Morris is the better offensive player.

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 08:32:35 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919

They actually do bear it out, other than this past year for the most part. Crowder shot 40% from 3 this year, which is a major aberration with his next highest year being 34%. But even with that elite year, he's still behind Morris nearly a full percentage point for their careers at 34.6% compared to Morris' 35.5%. For reference, both IT and AB are at 36.7 for their career marks, so for a SF/PF combo who plays mostly as a quick 4, Morris is actually pretty good from long range, and I suspect his efficiency goes up with as much talent as he'll have surrounding him now.

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 08:34:06 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Lebron can't wait to have like 6 Celtic wings hanging all over him every second he is on court .  Cavs have nothing but junk players to replace The Whiner . 

Every minute Lebron is out during a Celtics game the Celtics lead will increase by 4 points . Or a Cavs lead will dwindle by as much or more.

Celtics can keep fresh guys hanging on him through out the game .

Crowder and Morris can make Lebrons life hard with 12 smack down fouls .

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 08:36:37 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919
Morris is more of a 4 than Crowder, and is a much better mid-range scorer.  That's not a super useful skill, especially on a team with Gordon Hayward and Isaiah Thomas, but could be useful on a bench unit lacking experienced scorers (although Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum will presumably play).

I think there's reason to believe IT - Hayward - Crowder - Morris - Horford could be a very strong lineup.

Crowder and Morris are both competent wing/swing players.  Nice pieces to have, especially for a combined $12-13 million per year.

Man, I'm just not sure about Hayward at the 2 defensively. Can he stay with 2's all game long, and will he be able to sufficiently help cover IT's weaknesses? I think I'd still prefer Jaylen at the 2 focusing on locking down his man/the backcourt with Crowder coming off the bench.

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 08:50:01 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
There is one big difference between them.  Per their respective NBA Combine measurements:

Crowder      6'-4.75" w/o shoes     8'-3.5" Standing reach
Morris         6'-7" w/o shoes          8'-9.5" Standing reach

Morris is longer and much better suited to play as a big.

i think their similarity in numbers says more about their level of ability than it does about the similarity of how they play or how they should be asked to contribute.

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2017, 10:07:43 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I haven't seen Morris much, but he is known for having a very good mid range game which seems non existent for Crowder.