Author Topic: immates run the asylum  (Read 2920 times)

immates run the asylum
« on: July 23, 2017, 09:21:50 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
With 100's of millions being thrown around,the superstars forming teams and other superstars following suit and the difficulty of attracting  or holding players.Add in tax advantages that some have or weather and lifestyle
It was big three,now big four and everybody going west or traded out of conference
Without celtics organization and management
Without Danny there would be no Brad,no Nets picks
The tough ,high character types Danny picks
 Management and team chemistry seems a priority today-No Cousins
There seems little value to celtics for prima donnas and danny drafts accordingly. No Fultz
Hopefully it becomes superstar team not how many you have
San Antonio style
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 09:56:48 AM by rollie mass »

Re: immates run the asylum
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 10:04:51 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Right on. After so many coach/GM dual role failures over the years, you'd think they'd learn to keep jobs separate. Lebron the GM is horrible. Picking his own coach/boss is rarely a good idea. Amazing how much better and how much he grew as a person when he went to Miami and worked for Riley, one of few in the league with bigger stones than LBJ. Wouldn't let him run Spoelstra out of town, put him in his place. And they won, partly as a result of having a strong organization.

I think the C's are solid enough, Dallas, and really only a couple of teams are strong enough organizations to avoid being taken hostage by one player.

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 10:13:50 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
With 100's of millions being thrown around,the superstars forming teams and other superstars following suit and the difficulty of attracting  or holding players.Add in tax advantages that some have or weather and lifestyle
It was big three,now big four and everybody going west or traded out of conference
There seems little value to celtics for prima donnas and danny drafts accordingly. No Fultz
San Antonio style

The Fultz comment is baseless

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 10:24:47 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
San Antonio style

Yup. Fultz isnt a prima donna, that's actually the primary thing I liked about him.

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 10:26:40 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
In fairness:

* Pierce talked openly about potentially forcing a trade;

* KG initially refused a trade to Boston

* IT has talked repeatedly about the "Brinks truck"

One team's prima donna is another team's hero.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 10:26:44 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
San Antonio style

I don't know much about Fultz's personality, but this is something that has been around. I've seen it online quite a bit. Maybe he is one of these people whose face makes them come off the wrong way. Idk.

Also, when I read this exchange, I instantly remembered Celtics4ever comment on Fultz's character in the Lebron to Celtics thread. It may or may not be true, but I don't think it's completely baseless.

Being a Celtic fan, I have had LeBron fans raz me constantly.   I have had my chances to raz them too.   I concede he is a great player but I would put forth that his ego is to big for him ever to have Celtics Pride and he is completely unreliable once things do not go his way. He has improved in the latter to some degree but he used to wilt under pressure.   I see a lot of his attitude in Fultz in this regard.

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 11:08:46 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Right on. After so many coach/GM dual role failures over the years, you'd think they'd learn to keep jobs separate. Lebron the GM is horrible. Picking his own coach/boss is rarely a good idea. Amazing how much better and how much he grew as a person when he went to Miami and worked for Riley, one of few in the league with bigger stones than LBJ. Wouldn't let him run Spoelstra out of town, put him in his place. And they won, partly as a result of having a strong organization.

I think the C's are solid enough, Dallas, and really only a couple of teams are strong enough organizations to avoid being taken hostage by one player.
i think we are stronger than Dallas. They had there one year but Cuban has made bad moves ever since.SA is the only organization I would say is above us. GSW has had a good 5 years but before that it sucked. Tatum and Brown seem to be great character players Holford and Heyward are class players. We have everything on the upswing. No Asylum here. Cleveland Yes.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 12:14:04 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen

i think we are stronger than Dallas. They had there one year but Cuban has made bad moves ever since.SA is the only organization I would say is above us. GSW has had a good 5 years but before that it sucked. Tatum and Brown seem to be great character players Holford and Heyward are class players. We have everything on the upswing. No Asylum here. Cleveland Yes.

Dallas is a top shelf franchise. They have committed, and kept their commitment, to Rick Carlyle, who is most certainly and clearly in charge. No BS place, and still considered a good place to play (except by Rondo, whose crap was not tolerated).  Hated catching games there; with all the lights and music while the ball is in play, it just drove me nuts.

But no way Carlyle let's any player waltz in and take over like these others do. Good outfit.

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 12:38:52 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
I think my comment NO FULTZ stems from watching his philly workout and missing about twenty three's just throwing brick after brick with just a shrug of the shoulder-like it didn't matter
Also it SEEMED that he pulled himself at end of season
I think, i must have a hangover from guys like simmons that don't pull their team to ncaa's
.And to cap it off,we had jackson insult Danny mid flight
There were players that didn't want to go against rozier in tryouts
In a head to head against Jaylen, Simmons after being blocked  cramped up  and pulled himself
 Then followed that by sitting all season
Marcus has been through the wars since his rookie season.
Then our own james young-
I shouldn't jump to conclusions  and maybe its just his pace and style seen through green lenses
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 01:05:29 PM by rollie mass »

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 02:59:57 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

Dallas is a top shelf franchise. They have committed, and kept their commitment, to Rick Carlyle, who is most certainly and clearly in charge. No BS place, and still considered a good place to play (except by Rondo, whose crap was not tolerated).  Hated catching games there; with all the lights and music while the ball is in play, it just drove me nuts.

But no way Carlyle let's any player waltz in and take over like these others do. Good outfit.
i don't think Dallas is a place FA go to play anymore. Rick Carlisle is an excellent coach. Cuban has lost his luster. IMO. Anybody that lets a future 2 time MVP go. Their current stance on Noel is not wise either. He will leave now. IMO. Look at SA with ginobil And Gasoline. Buford gets it done. If top self is 15 yes but top 5 no for Dallas. SA, GSW, Houston, Miami, Toronto, Boston, Portland clearly better.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 03:11:45 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen

i don't think Dallas is a place FA go to play anymore. Rick Carlisle is an excellent coach. Cuban has lost his luster. IMO. Anybody that lets a future 2 time MVP go. Their current stance on Noel is not wise either. He will leave now. IMO. Look at SA with ginobil And Gasoline. Buford gets it done. If top self is 15 yes but top 5 no for Dallas. SA, GSW, Houston, Miami, Toronto, Boston, Portland clearly better.

We might be thinking of different things. I'm thinking of clubs solid enough to not be turned over by one player. There are plenty of teams with a plan, but not so many stand with it when the uberstars whine like sophomoric brats.

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 04:17:49 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
In fairness:

Well, IMO...

* Pierce deserved to have a good team built around him and not to ride the tank through his peak years. In the end, Paul didn't push for a trade and Danny did build that team around him.

* I doubted KG would okay a trade to Boston. He was loyal to the Timberwolves and that's a good thing. He also had no desire to be on a different team if it wasn't going to go for championships. In the end, Danny built that team and KG came and together they did make several championship runs.

* IT, the 60th pick, has been dissed his entire career. I don't blame him for wanting to get paid. Not just because he's never really gotten the "set up and your whole line up forever" pay days, but because getting paid the max would be a vindication for IT the player. I feel sure that he craves that vindication.

I wouldn't call Pierce, KG or IT prima donnas.

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 04:36:53 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
It's easy to criticize the players, and I've done it myself -- I am not a fan of what KD did, or Ray Allen leaving for that matter.

But let me restate the obvious:  It's the players who play the games and having superstars in particular is more important than any other factor in determining the success of teams. Elite players are now taking advantage of this simple fact. This is not like making widgets where factory workers can be replaced and new workers can be trained to do exactly the same thing as their predecessors. The inmates-asylum analogy is poor IMO.  I think an analogy to top-flight entertainers is a much more appropriate way to look at what's happening.

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 05:41:20 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
In fairness:

Well, IMO...

* Pierce deserved to have a good team built around him and not to ride the tank through his peak years. In the end, Paul didn't push for a trade and Danny did build that team around him.

* I doubted KG would okay a trade to Boston. He was loyal to the Timberwolves and that's a good thing. He also had no desire to be on a different team if it wasn't going to go for championships. In the end, Danny built that team and KG came and together they did make several championship runs.

* IT, the 60th pick, has been dissed his entire career. I don't blame him for wanting to get paid. Not just because he's never really gotten the "set up and your whole line up forever" pay days, but because getting paid the max would be a vindication for IT the player. I feel sure that he craves that vindication.

I wouldn't call Pierce, KG or IT prima donnas.

Of course you wouldn't. Now go ask Lakers fans.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 05:57:40 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
OP is just wrong.  Top young players are basically locked into playing for the team that drafted them for 8 years.  After that, why shouldn't they take control of who and where they play for.   

If the players ran the league, there would be no salary cap or max salary.  Maybe there would still be cheaper rookie contracts but they'd be shorter and wouldn't end in unrestricted free agency.  There would be no age limit for entering the league.  There may not even be a draft.  The CBA would be a lot shorter and much easier to understand.