Author Topic: Do you think Danny knew about Kyrie wanting out when he traded Bradley?  (Read 2690 times)

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
A lot of folks on this board thought that The Bradley trade was a mistake because the Celtics had to get through The Cavs and Kyrie Irving to get to the finals. Bradley was pegged, and maybe rightfully so, as the best guard to slow down Kyrie. Danny trades him after the draft and after Haywood commits. I think it's possible that Danny heard that Kyrie wanted out of Cleveland and that's why he chose to trade Bradley instead of someone else, knowing that Kyrie would be gone.

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
No.

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
A lot of folks on this board thought that The Bradley trade was a mistake because the Celtics had to get through The Cavs and Kyrie Irving to get to the finals. Bradley was pegged, and maybe rightfully so, as the best guard to slow down Kyrie. Danny trades him after the draft and after Haywood commits. I think it's possible that Danny heard that Kyrie wanted out of Cleveland and that's why he chose to trade Bradley instead of someone else, knowing that Kyrie would be gone.
Bradley can't stop Irving
in fact there isn't much all-star guards he can stop

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I think what drove DA's decision is he was looking for a guy on a cost-controlled, multi-year contract, who made less than Bradley, but could still be skilled enough to fit in our rotation.

Morris is not as good as AB but his contract allowed Hayward to sign here and he's not an expiring. I think DA would've traded AB to the Nets if they had a better deal.
- LilRip

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

The NBA players don't think that. Neither do I.

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Kyrie Irving has not actually gone anywhere yet.
Banner 18 please 😍

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Woj says the cavs were shopping kyrie before he even requested the trade. Its possible Danny was approached about a deal. Problem is we are trying to get rid of salary, not add it

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I think he knew about it. Even if he didn't the move had to be made. I also think thats why in a sense Billups didn't even bother, I know the vastly underpaid him as an offer but I think he may have heard through the grapevine what was happening behind the scenes and said no thanks.

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Kyrie Irving has not actually gone anywhere yet.
and he may not until the trade deadline.  Cavs will get lowball offers in the present situation.  After the season is well underway, teams will see their real needs and competing offers might be made for the all-star point guard, especially by playoff-bound teams.

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I seriously doubt it, even if he did how much would that really factor into the decision anyway? Irving isn't off the CAVS yet, its entirely possible they convince him to wiat it out another year and build the next CAVS team around him. Even if they don't its not like Bradley was shutting down Irving before anyway, nobody really does. And besides all that there were ALOT of other reasons for trading Bradley, ie what he'll be paid next year and freeing up salary this year. We don't need to be inventing more reasons he was traded.

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

The NBA players don't think that. Neither do I.
and the earth is flat, i get it

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
If the Cavs pick up Melo for Kyrie we are set up to guard two forwards very well. We have like 8 forwards on our roster.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
1. are you saying this is unique to bradley and that other guards in the nba regularly stop all-star guards such as irving?

2. actually, bradley did a very good job of covering irving in a number of games. but irving was really playing great basketball at times.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I think what drove DA's decision is he was looking for a guy on a cost-controlled, multi-year contract, who made less than Bradley, but could still be skilled enough to fit in our rotation.

Morris is not as good as AB but his contract allowed Hayward to sign here and he's not an expiring. I think DA would've traded AB to the Nets if they had a better deal.

I don't think the Nets will ever deal with Ainge again.
CELTICS 2024

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Ainge may or may not have heard about the Cavs making/taking calls on Irving, but I don't think it influenced the decision-making there. Avery was the only one of the three trade-candidate perimeter guys who made enough money to 1 - allow you to take back a different useful veteran that you could credibly plug into a starting lineup, 2 - reduce payroll by enough that Yabusele's cap hold was also accounted for when, 3 - also clearing enough payroll to give Hayward a full max contract. Also hurting Avery's case was the fact that he'll be a UFA next summer while Jae's signed for two additional years beyond this one while Marcus will be an RFA - of course, that's been rehashed to death everywhere, but just bears repeating.

Avery was always the guy who made the most sense to trade, and it really wasn't about anything in particular that he did or didn't do on the court.