Author Topic: Build through the draft while contending was Reds idea in The 80s.  (Read 2481 times)

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
The plan to build through the draft while contending was Red's idea during the 1980s. If Reggie and Bias can't died it would've worked out spectacularly. Danny's plan is a good one.

Re: Build through the draft while contending was Reds idea in The 80s.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 04:09:47 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
To be honest, we never had a chance at a title when Reggie was alive, our core was getting old.   Same could be said true of Bias.  We took him mideighties and never made it to the finals after that.   It is a nice thought, but we aged swiftly after 86 and health's declined over the next few years.

Bird back and McHale's foot hurt us.   One could argue that Bias could have helped with Bird's back but neither of these guys would have helped with Kevin's foot.

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 04:40:47 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
To be honest, we never had a chance at a title when Reggie was alive, our core was getting old.   Same could be said true of Bias.  We took him mideighties and never made it to the finals after that.   It is a nice thought, but we aged swiftly after 86 and health's declined over the next few years.

Bird back and McHale's foot hurt us.   One could argue that Bias could have helped with Bird's back but neither of these guys would have helped with Kevin's foot.

Len Bias was supposed to be ( I realize this is debatable..) like a bigger Michael Jordan when he came out. Had he lived we most likely would've made it back to the finals.

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 05:05:08 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
It is possible but we will never know.  I would say the premise of your thread does not account for this we  has three good draft picks during this time.  McHale in what 1980.   Bias in 86.  Lewis in 87.   A lot of picks in between  and after were terrible.

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 05:22:29 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Len Bias was supposed to be ( I realize this is debatable..) like a bigger Michael Jordan when he came out. Had he lived we most likely would've made it back to the finals.

And the hopeful by product of his awesomeness would have been less wear and tear on Bird & McHale.  Sure would have been fun to find out.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 05:26:16 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Len Bias and Reggie Lewis don't die..and we're at 20 Championships at least.

Jerk Stern didn't give us cap relief when Reggie died--so Celtics were making desperate deals, to try to replace what we lost.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 06:22:13 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

Jerk Stern didn't give us cap relief when Reggie died--so Celtics were making desperate deals, to try to replace what we lost.

Yeah, Stern will never get to Heaven for that. :laugh:

I'm sure they changed that. It wouldn't have happened if it were the Knicks. The League was not anxious for another Celtics dynasty--not in the TV era of big markets.

As for Bias, the Celtics didn't do their do diligence on the kid.  He had a drug issue.

Lewis may also have had a drug issue from the insurance problems they had after his death. His heart was apparently scarred in a way that suggested cocaine. I don't know how that was resolved. It was a medical issue, and there was some controversy regarding the doctors' diagnoses.

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 06:25:14 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

I mean it's the right thing to do if you were Stern right? Like if someone dropped dead on the court, how can you make that team pay the cap going forward? That's absurd. Let people heal man.
#JKJB

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 07:08:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I mean it's the right thing to do if you were Stern right? Like if someone dropped dead on the court, how can you make that team pay the cap going forward? That's absurd. Let people heal man.
It was absurd and maybe one of the more reprehensible things Stern did during his tenure. The Celtics and the NBA lost a budding superstar and Stern decides not to give cap relief to an utterly crushed franchise that had already tragically lost Len Bias.

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 07:35:39 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

It was absurd and maybe one of the more reprehensible things Stern did during his tenure. The Celtics and the NBA lost a budding superstar and Stern decides not to give cap relief to an utterly crushed franchise that had already tragically lost Len Bias.

I don't know if it's the green goggles, but come on. A young superstar dies? Tragedy. Not to atleast give the franchise that lost everything to that tragedy some kind of relief? Vindictive.
#JKJB

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 08:09:54 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112

I've been wondering lately-how in the hell did Miami get cap relief for Bosh???

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 09:19:53 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
Also, the early eighties free agency was very different than Ainge has to deal with...

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 09:30:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I don't know if it's the green goggles, but come on. A young superstar dies? Tragedy. Not to atleast give the franchise that lost everything to that tragedy some kind of relief? Vindictive.
Are we on the same wavelength here? I think what Stern did to not give relief to the Celtics was disgusting. Policy of the league afterward was to give relief. Are you stating something different? Do you not know what reprehensible means? I am confused by your reply. I agreed with you that it was absurd.

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 09:36:58 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I've been wondering lately-how in the hell did Miami get cap relief for Bosh???
Maybe it was a buyout type deal?

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2017, 11:53:59 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I wasn't meaning this to be a morbid thread but I think it might of turned out that way. I was just trying to compare the philosophy of team building between Red ( Greatest team builder of them all...) and Danny.