Author Topic: ESPN: Kyrie no longer wants to play w/ Lebron = reason for request. trade soon?  (Read 16489 times)

Re: Trade for Kyrie Irving (Merged News, Ideas & Rumors)
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2017, 08:45:02 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I think the Cavs would want insurance in the event IT doesn't resign. The insurance would have to be a premium pick. The Cavs say they want a young star. I could also see the Lakers pick in place of the Nets pick. Crowder gives them a decent contract back. They aren't getting a better deal from around the league.

I do believe Irving is gone...Bron wants him out now that DRose has signed. It makes no sense but why not make them weaker, while the Celtics get younger.

« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2017, 08:47:26 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I am not sure I see where Irving had a better season than IT had last season.  I don't think that Irving can do what IT did last season.  IT likely will not do it either.  I don't see a trade happening.

It would have to include multiple players for salary reasons.  If there are any issues with IT's hip, Cleveland would never do a trade, and I do think there would be fit issues.  Plus, didn't Kyrie have a list of preferred teams (which Boston was not on).

« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2017, 08:53:35 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Age is about the only thing I can agree with.

The difference in current hip health and the different lengths of contract are also facts you have no choice but to agree with.
Well reports on the hip are that IT will not need surgery and will be ready to go for the season, so he really doesn't have to agree with the hip health aspect.

True, but it's a recently recurring issue for Isaiah, and it just robbed us of him for the ECF. I understand he's not on the injured list for next year yet, but it's still a recent/current risk Kyrie doesn't have, and it's one that Isaiah could be prone to reaggravating.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2017, 08:55:08 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Is Kyrie and his bargain contract worth IT, Jae, and a lottery pick?

Cleveland would almost have to take that deal, but the only way that it clearly helps us is financially.

It helps us quite a bit on the basketball floor as well.

Irving, upgrade over IT4.
Hayward, upgrade over Bradley.
Morris, upgrade over Crowder.
Baynes, upgrade over Amir.

4 huge upgrades all around from last year. PLUS the kid, Tatum. That's a stacked team imo.

I think Cleveland wants quite a bit more though.

Hayward, Morris, Baynes and Tatum are all here already. The only thing that trade does is turn IT into Irving at the cost of Crowder and our best draft pick. Makes zero sense for Boston.

Just talking off-season in general. 4 huge upgrades 'tis all.

Didn't think I needed to go in detail on how Irving is better than IT4.

I'm interested in your reasons for this belief. I'm not trying to be contrary, but I'm not seeing how Irving is a "clear upgrade" on IT. Irving had better FG and 3PT percentages last season, and more rebounds per game, but IT had a higher eFG%, more points per game, slightly more assists per game, slightly better FT%, and a higher PER. Irving has a height advantage, but still isn't a good defensive player. Irving might be the best one-on-one scorer in the league, but that doesn't really fit with how the Celtics operate.

I certainly don't think he's worth giving up Thomas AND a high lottery pick.

Offensively, & significantly defensively.

Younger, cheaper, and actually worth paying the max unlike IT4.

Age is about the only thing I can agree with. IT4 is better offensively by pretty much every possibly metric other than "cross-over ability". Kyrie is taller but it doesn't matter much since he's a terrible defender with a lousy attitude who cares to little about team, that's he's quitting a team where he won a title.

Shooting efficiency: IT4
Scoring per minute: IT4
assist rate: IT4
plus/minus, VORP, Win Shares: IT4
defensive rating: tied!

He's 3 years younger and that does matter, but he's also got the same number of NBA seasons under his belt and IT4 appears to be a harder worker.

One is still unstoppable when you get to the playoffs and face Bradley-like defending. One gets shut down with good coaching and defending come playoff time.

One also is a willing rebounder from that position, while the other can't and won't.

It's a huge discrepancy for me. Night and day players IMO.

« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2017, 09:03:40 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
One is still unstoppable when you get to the playoffs and face Bradley-like defending. One gets shut down with good coaching and defending come playoff time.

I was literally just about to post the same thing. While they're equal offensive players in the regular season, in the playoffs Isaiah is shutdownable/houndable.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2017, 09:08:35 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
I just don't think he is worth adding that top pick for.  In a vacuum, IT and Crowder makes some sense for both teams.  But adding the potential number one pick in the draft next year is crazy talk to me.  I don't know if I'd even want to add the Lakers pick. 

« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2017, 09:16:54 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
The only reason I'm ok with giving up one of the picks is because we signed Hayward and got Tatum and Morris. That gives us some flexibility now to make more moves that aren't as risky.

It's going to take both picks next year at least 2-3 years to get acclimated and Irving is still young. 2 years in Boston and he will want to resign. Keep in mind, he also has a ring, which none of our players have right now.

I'm not gung ho for the move but it may be cost beneficial since Irving is already under contract verses backing up the brink's truck for an older player. I like IT but getting Irving is a win-win move. Just don't give up the farm for him.

« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2017, 09:29:55 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

I was literally just about to post the same thing. While they're equal offensive players in the regular season, in the playoffs Isaiah is shutdownable/houndable.

In what way? Isaiah dropped what, 53 points against the Wiz? I guess they weren't gameplanning for him in game 2, and Scott Brooks isn't a good enough coach.

In game 7, after 12 playoff games, he dropped 29 and 12. With an injured hip.

If you think he is "shutdownable," name more than five that currently play in the NBA that aren't
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2017, 09:30:24 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

The difference in current hip health and the different lengths of contract are also facts you have no choice but to agree with.
Well reports on the hip are that IT will not need surgery and will be ready to go for the season, so he really doesn't have to agree with the hip health aspect.

True, but it's a recently recurring issue for Isaiah, and it just robbed us of him for the ECF. I understand he's not on the injured list for next year yet, but it's still a recent/current risk Kyrie doesn't have, and it's one that Isaiah could be prone to reaggravating.

You seem to be forgetting that Kyrie has some seriously glass ankles.

« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2017, 09:30:37 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Is Kyrie and his bargain contract worth IT, Jae, and a lottery pick?

Cleveland would almost have to take that deal, but the only way that it clearly helps us is financially.

It helps us quite a bit on the basketball floor as well.

Irving, upgrade over IT4.
Hayward, upgrade over Bradley.
Morris, upgrade over Crowder.
Baynes, upgrade over Amir.

4 huge upgrades all around from last year. PLUS the kid, Tatum. That's a stacked team imo.

I think Cleveland wants quite a bit more though.

Hayward, Morris, Baynes and Tatum are all here already. The only thing that trade does is turn IT into Irving at the cost of Crowder and our best draft pick. Makes zero sense for Boston.

Just talking off-season in general. 4 huge upgrades 'tis all.

Didn't think I needed to go in detail on how Irving is better than IT4.

I'm interested in your reasons for this belief. I'm not trying to be contrary, but I'm not seeing how Irving is a "clear upgrade" on IT. Irving had better FG and 3PT percentages last season, and more rebounds per game, but IT had a higher eFG%, more points per game, slightly more assists per game, slightly better FT%, and a higher PER. Irving has a height advantage, but still isn't a good defensive player. Irving might be the best one-on-one scorer in the league, but that doesn't really fit with how the Celtics operate.

I certainly don't think he's worth giving up Thomas AND a high lottery pick.

Offensively, & significantly defensively.

Younger, cheaper, and actually worth paying the max unlike IT4.

Age is about the only thing I can agree with. IT4 is better offensively by pretty much every possibly metric other than "cross-over ability". Kyrie is taller but it doesn't matter much since he's a terrible defender with a lousy attitude who cares to little about team, that's he's quitting a team where he won a title.

Shooting efficiency: IT4
Scoring per minute: IT4
assist rate: IT4
plus/minus, VORP, Win Shares: IT4
defensive rating: tied!

He's 3 years younger and that does matter, but he's also got the same number of NBA seasons under his belt and IT4 appears to be a harder worker.

If you can cast physical attributes asidie, then from a pure statistics and skill point of view, I do not consider Kyrie to be a significant upgrade (if at all) over Thomas.

Unfortunately in the NBA however you cannot cast aside physical attributes, because they play a major part in determining how matchups are played out.  As amazing as Thomas is as a player, his size is a major, major liability much of the time he is on the court.

We all saw how Washington and Cleveland picked on Thomas - throwing bigger guards on him and posting him up every time, forcing mismatches and killing us almost every time.  It takes a huge amount of extra effort from everybody on the team to help out and cover those mismatches, which makes it harder for those guys to keep on top of their own man.

I feel like Crowder and Bradley both dropped off defensively this year, and I would imagine a lot of that probably has to do with them constantly having to cover for Thomas now that opposing teams have been trying to force mismatches on him more than ever.

Last I checked I believe that Isaiah Thomas does have the worst (or second worst) defensive RPM among all NBA guards, and despite having one of the best offensive RPM's his overall net RPM is still barely positive.  That's the reality of IT. 

IT averaged 29 PPG last year, and the truth of the matter is that you pretty much NEED him to score 29+ points just to make up for his defensive limitations.  If IT goes out and "only" gives you 25 or 26 points, then he's a liability.

That sounds extreme, but it's true.

Kyrie by comparison is also a shoddy defensive player, but nowhere near AS shoddy as Thomas is.  At 6'3" - 6'4" he at least has the size to put up some kind of defensive resistance against opposing point guards.  Guys can't easily just post him up or shoot straight over the top of him the way they can with Thomas.  You can't just build an entire gameplan based around exploiting Kyrie's defense they way you can with Thomas. 

It's no accident that Boston became tougher for Cleveland to beat after Thomas went down.  It's not because Thomas isn't a great player, it's because it became so much more difficult for Cleveland to exploit any one matchup when we had Smart out here instead of Thomas. 

I think that if we trade Thomas for Kyrie we immediately become better - a lot better.  Not because Kyrie is a better player, just because that larger duo of Kyrie / Gordon would give us one of the bigger and most offensively potent backcourts in the NBA - one that could legitimately give Steph and Klay just as many nightmares as they would give us.  And with both guys being in the 25/26 range, both guys are young enough to stick around while we develop Tatum (who I think sill be a bonafide All-Star) - while Thomas (turning around 28 this year) will be getting into his 30s by the time Tatum is in his 3rd year.   

« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2017, 09:33:57 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

I agree with their existence, but not the value some are putting on them.

Kyrie has 2 years / $40M and a player option. Player options are in the player's favor, obviously. He's only opting in if things go badly. If we re-sign him figure on $30M/year.

IT has 1 year / $6M. If we re-sign him, figure on $30M/year.

Pick any time frame beyond 1 year, and IT costs less. The only time he's more expensive is next year, outside of salary cap fluctuations and year-to-year increases inside of a contract.

As for health, there's no clear advantage to Kyrie. IT had one injury that didn't require surgery. He just couldn't keep playing. IT has averaged 74 games played the last 6 years. Kyrie has averaged 64.

It's not even clear that Kyrie makes us better in the short term, if healthy. if we had to part with Crowder in the deal. Nevermind that he appears to be a locker room cancer and a dimwitted Flat Earth believer that is bailing on a team he won a title with. Pass.

« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2017, 09:40:09 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
It would hurt to trade IT. The dude is the face of the C's right now and trading him away would be more shocking than when we traded Pierce and KG. Or Perk. From a fan and team chemistry standpoint, I don't think it makes much sense.

From a business standpoint, acquiring Irving who's cost controlled for 2 more years would be huge. Add to that, the C's will get the best player (on paper) in the deal. Those are two big plus-es and seem like prerequisites in making a trade.

IT-Crowder-Rozier sounds like too much of a steal though for Cleveland. Is there a way to do the deal without including Crowder?

This is true, but you're talking about a GM who just traded away Avery Bradley - the longest tenured Celtic, huge fan favourite, locker room leader, two way producer who gets better eveyr year, super coachable glue guy who is loved by all in Boston who know him.

I don't thing trading Thomas would hurt Boston any more from an emotional standpoint then Bradley.  Although Thomas is the better player, I think I'm actually more sad to see AB go then I would be to see Thomas go. 

Especially because getting Kyrie back helps make up for the loss of Isaiah, while our return on AB was arguably a downgrade in Marcus Morris.

« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2017, 09:42:53 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
No.

« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2017, 09:49:57 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Definitely not. Terrible.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2017, 09:50:42 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
The only reason I'm ok with giving up one of the picks is because we signed Hayward and got Tatum and Morris. That gives us some flexibility now to make more moves that aren't as risky.

It's going to take both picks next year at least 2-3 years to get acclimated and Irving is still young. 2 years in Boston and he will want to resign. Keep in mind, he also has a ring, which none of our players have right now.

I'm not gung ho for the move but it may be cost beneficial since Irving is already under contract verses backing up the brink's truck for an older player. I like IT but getting Irving is a win-win move. Just don't give up the farm for him.

Baynes has a ring from the Spurs
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby