Author Topic: ESPN: Kyrie no longer wants to play w/ Lebron = reason for request. trade soon?  (Read 16488 times)

Re: Trade for Kyrie Irving (Merged News, Ideas & Rumors)
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2017, 07:51:05 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Is Kyrie and his bargain contract worth IT, Jae, and a lottery pick?

Cleveland would almost have to take that deal, but the only way that it clearly helps us is financially.

It helps us quite a bit on the basketball floor as well.

Irving, upgrade over IT4.
Hayward, upgrade over Bradley.
Morris, upgrade over Crowder.
Baynes, upgrade over Amir.

4 huge upgrades all around from last year. PLUS the kid, Tatum. That's a stacked team imo.

I think Cleveland wants quite a bit more though.

Hayward, Morris, Baynes and Tatum are all here already. The only thing that trade does is turn IT into Irving at the cost of Crowder and our best draft pick. Makes zero sense for Boston.

Just talking off-season in general. 4 huge upgrades 'tis all.

Didn't think I needed to go in detail on how Irving is better than IT4.

I'm interested in your reasons for this belief. I'm not trying to be contrary, but I'm not seeing how Irving is a "clear upgrade" on IT. Irving had better FG and 3PT percentages last season, and more rebounds per game, but IT had a higher eFG%, more points per game, slightly more assists per game, slightly better FT%, and a higher PER. Irving has a height advantage, but still isn't a good defensive player. Irving might be the best one-on-one scorer in the league, but that doesn't really fit with how the Celtics operate.

I certainly don't think he's worth giving up Thomas AND a high lottery pick.

As your stats suggest, they are pretty much a wash offensively. Irving is a bad defender, but still better than Thomas. The reason he's worth the pick go beyond the court. Age, height, hip, contract.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2017, 07:51:29 PM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
Given what DMC, Chris Paul, Paul George and Jimmy Butler went for IT, Crowder and the Lakers pick seems like an expensive price for Kyrie. I wouldn't send any picks. Just IT,  Crowder and one of the young guys.

I wouldn't send Crowder in the trade either.  I would trade IT straight up with our 1st rounder in 2018 or something similar.

« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2017, 07:51:38 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Is Kyrie and his bargain contract worth IT, Jae, and a lottery pick?

Cleveland would almost have to take that deal, but the only way that it clearly helps us is financially.

It helps us quite a bit on the basketball floor as well.

Irving, upgrade over IT4.
Hayward, upgrade over Bradley.
Morris, upgrade over Crowder.
Baynes, upgrade over Amir.

4 huge upgrades all around from last year. PLUS the kid, Tatum. That's a stacked team imo.

I think Cleveland wants quite a bit more though.

Hayward, Morris, Baynes and Tatum are all here already. The only thing that trade does is turn IT into Irving at the cost of Crowder and our best draft pick. Makes zero sense for Boston.

Just talking off-season in general. 4 huge upgrades 'tis all.

Didn't think I needed to go in detail on how Irving is better than IT4.

I'm interested in your reasons for this belief. I'm not trying to be contrary, but I'm not seeing how Irving is a "clear upgrade" on IT. Irving had better FG and 3PT percentages last season, and more rebounds per game, but IT had a higher eFG%, more points per game, slightly more assists per game, slightly better FT%, and a higher PER. Irving has a height advantage, but still isn't a good defensive player. Irving might be the best one-on-one scorer in the league, but that doesn't really fit with how the Celtics operate.

I certainly don't think he's worth giving up Thomas AND a high lottery pick.

Offensively, & significantly defensively.

Younger, cheaper, and actually worth paying the max unlike IT4.

Age is about the only thing I can agree with. IT4 is better offensively by pretty much every possibly metric other than "cross-over ability". Kyrie is taller but it doesn't matter much since he's a terrible defender with a lousy attitude who cares to little about team, that's he's quitting a team where he won a title.

Shooting efficiency: IT4
Scoring per minute: IT4
assist rate: IT4
plus/minus, VORP, Win Shares: IT4
defensive rating: tied!

He's 3 years younger and that does matter, but he's also got the same number of NBA seasons under his belt and IT4 appears to be a harder worker.

« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2017, 07:53:37 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Given what DMC, Chris Paul, Paul George and Jimmy Butler went for IT, Crowder and the Lakers pick seems like an expensive price for Kyrie. I wouldn't send any picks. Just IT,  Crowder and one of the young guys.

I wouldn't send Crowder in the trade either.  I would trade IT straight up with our 1st rounder in 2018 or something similar.

That doesn't work. Salary needs to "match" under the CBA.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2017, 08:02:01 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Age is about the only thing I can agree with.

The difference in current hip health and the different lengths of contract are also facts you have no choice but to agree with.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2017, 08:08:34 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Some people are desperate to throw that BRK 18 pick away. Would be insane to blow that pick to get a malcontent in Irving. He's not an elite player.

« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2017, 08:10:05 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Idk, if Kyrie Irving can shut down Steph Curry in the playoffs...might have to think hard about that lol.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2017, 08:19:06 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
If I were Ainge I would seriously consider a Irving to Boston for IT, Crowder and Nets pick. IT and Irving are pretty much the same player...scorers, weak defenders. The Cavs could still trade IT if they didn't want to resign him. Irving is also younger. Ainge isn't getting anyone with the Nets pick as good as Irving.

Irving, Hayward, Brown, Morris and Horford with Baynes, Zizic, Tatum, Rozier and Smart off the bench...sounds good to me.

« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2017, 08:26:29 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
IT and Irving are pretty much the same player...scorers, weak defenders.

Irving better be a superior defender or this trade makes no sense.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 08:34:01 PM by Surferdad »

« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2017, 08:31:03 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
No on the Nets pick. The Laker pick maybe but No Nets pick.

« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2017, 08:31:04 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
People keep bringing up IT's hip, but doesn't Kyrie have a lengthier injury history?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2017, 08:32:34 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
No.

« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2017, 08:33:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Age is about the only thing I can agree with.

The difference in current hip health and the different lengths of contract are also facts you have no choice but to agree with.
Well reports on the hip are that IT will not need surgery and will be ready to go for the season, so he really doesn't have to agree with the hip health aspect.

« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2017, 08:37:04 PM »

Offline rochrist

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
If I were Ainge I would seriously consider a Irving to Boston for IT, Crowder and Nets pick. IT and Irving are pretty much the same player...scorers, weak defenders. The Cavs could still trade IT if they didn't want to resign him. Irving is also younger. Ainge isn't getting anyone with the Nets pick as good as Irving.

Irving, Hayward, Brown, Morris and Horford with Baynes, Zizic, Tatum, Rozier and Smart off the bench...sounds good to me.

No. Besides which, there isn't the slightest chance Cleveland keeps him in the division.

« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2017, 08:37:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
IT and Irving are basically equal as player with Kyrie being younger. I get you have to trade Crowder with IT to match salaries and clear up the logjam at the SF position, but much more than IT and Crowder is an overpay. The Brooklyn pick being a massive overpay.