Author Topic: ESPN: Kyrie no longer wants to play w/ Lebron = reason for request. trade soon?  (Read 16425 times)

Re: Trade for Kyrie Irving (Merged News, Ideas & Rumors)
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2017, 06:57:20 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
The chance to upgrade from IT to Irving is a little exciting.  Is it worth the cost?  What will it do to chemistry?  Obviously we want the best team possible, but in this case is it worth moving out a high-scoring All Star who has fully embraced being a Celtic?  I'd support it if it were to happen but have obvious doubts.
I'd do the Brooklyn pick if Kyrie wanted to stay and showed some interest. Regardless of stats Kyrie is a huge upgrade over IT imo.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2017, 07:01:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Is Kyrie and his bargain contract worth IT, Jae, and a lottery pick?

Cleveland would almost have to take that deal, but the only way that it clearly helps us is financially.

It helps us quite a bit on the basketball floor as well.

Irving, upgrade over IT4.
Hayward, upgrade over Bradley.
Morris, upgrade over Crowder.
Baynes, upgrade over Amir.

4 huge upgrades all around from last year. PLUS the kid, Tatum. That's a stacked team imo.

I think Cleveland wants quite a bit more though.

What's "quite a bit more" than an All-NBA player, another starter and a top lottery pick?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2017, 07:05:53 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

Cleveland would almost have to take that deal, but the only way that it clearly helps us is financially.

4 huge upgrades all around from last year. PLUS the kid, Tatum. That's a stacked team imo.

Hayward, Morris, Baynes and Tatum are all here already. The only thing that trade does is turn IT into Irving at the cost of Crowder and our best draft pick. Makes zero sense for Boston.

Irving is three years younger, is signed for two years not one, is not coming off a bad hip, and is 6 inches taller, and is just as excellent an offensive player and is not quite as bad on defense.

I would give up the Lakers pick, but not the Brooklyn pick.

No way. The opportunity to draft 2 of the top 5 in 2018 is simply too valuable to give up for Irving. Bleeaaahhh

« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2017, 07:07:56 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
What excites me most about this news of Kyrie wanting out is that it might lead CLE needing to include KLove in a multi-team and IMO that is who Ainge is targeting. It's obvious CLE wants to get rid of Love.

It's silly to think Cleveland would give its main rival in the East Kevin Love. It's frankly silly to think they'd give us Kyrie without gutting our squad. The Celtics cost will probably be 2-3X any other teams..

« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2017, 07:11:38 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

Hayward, Morris, Baynes and Tatum are all here already. The only thing that trade does is turn IT into Irving at the cost of Crowder and our best draft pick. Makes zero sense for Boston.

Irving is three years younger, is signed for two years not one, is not coming off a bad hip, and is 6 inches taller, and is just as excellent an offensive player and is not quite as bad on defense.

No way. The opportunity to draft 2 of the top 5 in 2018 is simply too valuable to give up for Irving. Bleeaaahhh

You still get one 2018 opportunity, and the Lakers pick is probably not going to be top 5 anyway, might as well call it the Sacramento pick.

Kyrie is a significant upgrade in value over Isaiah, an added value that is worth the Kings pick.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2017, 07:13:36 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Every day that passes this looks worse for Cleveland.

« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2017, 07:13:36 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Just talking off-season in general. 4 huge upgrades 'tis all.

Didn't think I needed to go in detail on how Irving is better than IT4.

« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2017, 07:14:20 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

You still get one 2018 opportunity, and the Lakers pick is probably not going to be top 5 anyway, might as well call it the Sacramento pick.

Kyrie is a significant upgrade in value over Isaiah, an added value that is worth the Kings pick.

Lakes will be terrible again, bottom 3 in the L I'd guess. I'd keep the pick..

« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2017, 07:14:26 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
What excites me most about this news of Kyrie wanting out is that it might lead CLE needing to include KLove in a multi-team and IMO that is who Ainge is targeting. It's obvious CLE wants to get rid of Love.

It's silly to think Cleveland would give its main rival in the East Kevin Love. It's frankly silly to think they'd give us Kyrie without gutting our squad. The Celtics cost will probably be 2-3X any other teams..

I agree that CLE would command a larger return for BOS but they may not be in the strongest negotiation position in terms of salary matching. All these 3 team trades involving NYK and Porzingis coming to BOS are ridiculous. NYK trades for Kyrie to build a monster with the two of them not one or the other.

« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2017, 07:15:41 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell

What's "quite a bit more" than an All-NBA player, another starter and a top lottery pick?

A yearly 55-60 win team with a trip to the finals (with a shot at winning it all) if Irving is here (roster still in tact, healthy).

« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2017, 07:34:26 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

I'm interested in your reasons for this belief. I'm not trying to be contrary, but I'm not seeing how Irving is a "clear upgrade" on IT. Irving had better FG and 3PT percentages last season, and more rebounds per game, but IT had a higher eFG%, more points per game, slightly more assists per game, slightly better FT%, and a higher PER. Irving has a height advantage, but still isn't a good defensive player. Irving might be the best one-on-one scorer in the league, but that doesn't really fit with how the Celtics operate.

I certainly don't think he's worth giving up Thomas AND a high lottery pick.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2017, 07:37:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Given what DMC, Chris Paul, Paul George and Jimmy Butler went for IT, Crowder and the Lakers pick seems like an expensive price for Kyrie. I wouldn't send any picks. Just IT,  Crowder and one of the young guys.

« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2017, 07:38:26 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell

I'm interested in your reasons for this belief. I'm not trying to be contrary, but I'm not seeing how Irving is a "clear upgrade" on IT. Irving had better FG and 3PT percentages last season, and more rebounds per game, but IT had a higher eFG%, more points per game, slightly more assists per game, slightly better FT%, and a higher PER. Irving has a height advantage, but still isn't a good defensive player. Irving might be the best one-on-one scorer in the league, but that doesn't really fit with how the Celtics operate.

I certainly don't think he's worth giving up Thomas AND a high lottery pick.

Offensively, & significantly defensively.

Younger, cheaper, and actually worth paying the max unlike IT4.

« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2017, 07:46:15 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
This is Danny's MO: be in on everything in case you can get anything out of it.

We won't trade for Irving, but we'll be sure to get some information about it, just in case we can use it.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Danny is talking about trading for Kyrie. 

Thomas is at the end of his deal and will demand a Max contract to the tune of around $30M next year if we keep him.  Who truly believes that the Celtics can win a title with $90M+ invested in Isaiah Thomas, Gordon Hayward and Al Horford?  Neither of those guys is a game changer.

Trading Thomas for Kyrie (who is on around $20M/year) would save Boston about $10M is cap space over the next two seasons while also making the team stronger (Similar offensive ability to Thomas, without being quite so much of a defensive liability).

For the Cavs it makes sense too - if they want to keep Lebron they'll need to convince him they are serious about winning now, and getting Thomas back allows them to walk out of the Kyrie situation without really taking much (if any) of a backwards step.  Cavs clearly don't care about luxury tax at this point (given they have the highest salary total in the NBA) so they would likely have no reservations about re-signing Isaiah to a max deal. 

Actually makes a lot of sense for both teams I think.

I mean if you are the Cavs you'd still rather have Kyrie then Thomas, due to the size issues Thomas presents, but if you HAVE to let Kyrie go you'd rather get Thomas back rather than some package of scrubs and draft picks.

« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2017, 07:48:27 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
It would hurt to trade IT. The dude is the face of the C's right now and trading him away would be more shocking than when we traded Pierce and KG. Or Perk. From a fan and team chemistry standpoint, I don't think it makes much sense.

From a business standpoint, acquiring Irving who's cost controlled for 2 more years would be huge. Add to that, the C's will get the best player (on paper) in the deal. Those are two big plus-es and seem like prerequisites in making a trade.

IT-Crowder-Rozier sounds like too much of a steal though for Cleveland. Is there a way to do the deal without including Crowder?
- LilRip