Author Topic: ESPN: Kyrie no longer wants to play w/ Lebron = reason for request. trade soon?  (Read 16493 times)

Re: Trade for Kyrie Irving (Merged News, Ideas & Rumors)
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2017, 04:18:26 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Is Kyrie and his bargain contract worth IT, Jae, and a lottery pick?

Cleveland would almost have to take that deal, but the only way that it clearly helps us is financially.

Then aren't we back in the same situation next year when Kyrie becomes an expiring contract?

That extra year is significant, especially when it comes to repeater tax issues.

Also the fact that at the end of his contract Irving will be 27 vs Thomas being 29 is a big deal too, makes a 4 or 5 year deal allot more appealing.

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2017, 04:42:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
It would take Jae, IT4, 2018 1st (whichever highest pick)

In the short term benefits both teams (edge to Celts)

Long term if Cavs sign IT4 plus that 2018 pick turns out to be a stud.... Risky move

However wow... Irving hayward horford would be a sick trio

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2017, 04:48:18 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Unless a trade lands us one of the league's best players, our top draft picks should be off limits. KI is a lot like IT, an exceptional offensive player who is firmly in the league's 2nd tier of players, but not a part of that top group.

There's just too much value in getting a potential young big man at a controlled salary to give up one of those picks.

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2017, 04:59:53 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
What is the fascination with Kyrie?  Why do I feel there are 10 PGs in the league as good as him, including IT?

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2017, 05:02:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
What is the fascination with Kyrie?  Why do I feel there are 10 PGs in the league as good as him, including IT?

I guess you were sleepwalking when kyrie dropped 42 against the Celts

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2017, 05:04:35 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
If Cleveland is selling low, then I doubt the Celtics will have to give up the Brooklyn or Philly picks. I could see the Clippers and Grizzlies picks, assuming the players involved would be Thomas and Crowder. Thomas was a legit top 5 MVP candidate this past season, so there would be virtually no drop off in play next season from the PG position for the Cavs.

Thomas and Irving have fairly similar stat lines. However, Thomas has been the more durable player. Then again, that could change with Thomas' hip.

If the deal is Thomas, Crowder, Clippers and Grizzlies picks then I make the deal.

If the deal is Thomas, Crowder, and either the Brooklyn or Philly picks then I'm not making the deal.

If the deal is Thomas, Brown (or Tatum),  Clippers and Grizzlies picks then I'm not making the deal.

Just when I thought we were out of the ESPN trade machine stage of the off season, Kyrie had to pull us back in.

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2017, 05:12:25 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Are u guys ****ing serious? IT, Jae, AND a top 2018 pick for Kyrie?? You sound like Cleveland or Fakers fans. Kyrie is slightly better than IT, and you want to throw in a great rotational player and one of the most valuable picks in the league? Ok

And Kyrie having 1 year extra on his contract is the counter argument? If you’re so infatuated with years of control then why would we give up Crowder who has 3 years and only 21 million left on his deal? Or IT who is making 12 million LESS than Kyrie this year? PLUS A 2018 PICK!!

Ridiculous trade.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2017, 05:41:00 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Irving Hayward Horford...worth a look I guess.

Issue is Thomas contract and the cap situation. The valuation proposal is clearly Thomas vs Irving.

After this season,

Thomas gets $30M for 4 to 5 years.
Irving will get two more at $19M.

Regardless, Celtics are in taxland, who do they want to be in it with? This keeps us at the main point, does Ainge want to pay a point guard (Irving or Thomas) the big money?

I really don't see Cleveland trading Irving for Thomas...which is what the trade will be. Oh, yes it will, folks.

Front page coast to coast would be "Kyrie for IT"...Steven A would yap himself blue in the face for a month. No one would know the other draft assets. For this reason, it is tough for Cav's to sell this deal to their base. Lord, how many threes does Thomas take a game? 8.5 pg which makes him number one on the Cavs ahead of JR.

Lebron wants Thomas? The Cavs want to pay him after this season?

I think the Thomas fans @ CB are safe.

More fun is to compare the two players. Really different in many ways and again? Analysis isn't just about stats. Have to watch the big games and see what Ainge sees.

Without the money or the asset switch, does Irving's game get the Celtics any closer? There are a lot of good PG's in the NBA who are significantly cheaper than either of these two guys, I suggest Ainge would prefer to save the money/assets for a different position.

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2017, 05:53:40 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Cleveland would almost have to take that deal, but the only way that it clearly helps us is financially.

It helps us quite a bit on the basketball floor as well.

Irving, upgrade over IT4.
Hayward, upgrade over Bradley.
Morris, upgrade over Crowder.
Baynes, upgrade over Amir.

4 huge upgrades all around from last year. PLUS the kid, Tatum. That's a stacked team imo.

I think Cleveland wants quite a bit more though.

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2017, 06:15:05 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

4 huge upgrades all around from last year. PLUS the kid, Tatum. That's a stacked team imo.

Cleveland isn't going to be offered quite a bit more though. That would be the best deal they'll get. Unfortunately, we've already seen teams opt for lesser offers to keep stars away from conference rivals a la George, so I suspect the Cavs would opt for the same. Be prepared to see them accept an apparent lowball offer over that IT-Jae-pick deal.

You're right about everything else, though, an upgrade at four positions.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2017, 06:27:14 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

Hayward, Morris, Baynes and Tatum are all here already. The only thing that trade does is turn IT into Irving at the cost of Crowder and our best draft pick. Makes zero sense for Boston.

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2017, 06:33:50 PM »

Offline MichaelJ

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
The chance to upgrade from IT to Irving is a little exciting.  Is it worth the cost?  What will it do to chemistry?  Obviously we want the best team possible, but in this case is it worth moving out a high-scoring All Star who has fully embraced being a Celtic?  I'd support it if it were to happen but have obvious doubts.

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2017, 06:36:38 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

Hayward, Morris, Baynes and Tatum are all here already. The only thing that trade does is turn IT into Irving at the cost of Crowder and our best draft pick. Makes zero sense for Boston.

Irving is three years younger, is signed for two years not one, is not coming off a bad hip, and is 6 inches taller, and is just as excellent an offensive player and is not quite as bad on defense.

I would give up the Lakers pick, but not the Brooklyn pick.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2017, 06:38:33 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
What excites me most about this news of Kyrie wanting out is that it might lead CLE needing to include KLove in a multi-team and IMO that is who Ainge is targeting. It's obvious CLE wants to get rid of Love.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 06:59:56 PM by Fireworks_Boom! »

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2017, 06:56:19 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Irving for Thomas+Crowder+Brooklyn 2018 or Lakers 2018 doesn't work in Trade Checker and seems like too much to me.

Irving for Thomas+Crowder+Rozier+no picks works and seems reasonable to me.