Author Topic: Could Ainge get in on Irving  (Read 11845 times)

Re: Could Ainge get in on Irving
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2017, 01:03:02 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
We don't have to included the Nets and the Lakers/Kings pick. We just have to place an offer that they can look at.

Good luck with that

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2017, 01:09:16 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
This is going to win us the Eastern Conference.

I was thinking the same thing. Without Kyrie the Cavs are a different team.

TP for agreeing with me.

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2017, 02:23:56 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
What is wrong with the people? Does every single player available has to end up in Boston? We are like bunch of kids playing Football Manager.

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2017, 02:26:25 AM »

Offline bostonts

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
  • Dennis Johnson
The Celts would be nuts to get in on an Irving trade and give Cleveland a chance to acquire assets from them.

Let the Cavs trade Kyrie to the Western Conference, and in turn make the eastern conference wide open.

The best thing Ainge can do with Irving is - nothing. Sit back and enjoy Cleveland's dysfunction.

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2017, 02:27:55 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
What is wrong with the people? Does every single player available has to end up in Boston? We are like bunch of kids playing Football Manager.
don't forget every former celtic. There were 2 threads in the past week asking if we should
Resign perk who hasn't played in what feels like a decade

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2017, 03:52:31 AM »

Offline mutineer33

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
It is not very likely to happen .... but it could make sense.  Salaries would have to match so @ 19million .... three out of four of IT/SMART/CROWDER/BROWN would have to be dealt. If Cleveland wants our high picks, the deal starts feeling expensive, but I would probably offer 3 of those four players (hoping to keep JB).

Why do we do it?  IT is going to command big $$$ next year. IMHO he is gone.  Irving would come to us on a reasonable (by today's standards) contract.  He is younger and would thus be an upgrade longer term.

Irving wants to go to SA/MIA/MINN .... but he has no real say in the matter, and Boston could be a very good fit for him.

Why would CLE do it?  LBS's impending departure to LaLa land makes the Cavs feel like the titanic right now (despite being the best team in the east).  Getting IT back would not be a big downgrade for this year, allowing them to compete for one more year in the LBJ era, or they could just decide to blow it up one year early and move LBJ to the lakers a year early rather than get nothing back this year.

IT- Crowder-Smart for Irving could make sense for both teams.

I doubt it happens .... but not as silly as some on this thread seem to think.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 12:48:01 PM by mutineer33 »

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2017, 04:34:32 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
no.  so stupid.

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2017, 06:24:55 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
This is going to win us the Eastern Conference.

I'm not sure that a Golden State vs Boston Finals is the layup that so many posters believe if Irving is traded.

What if the trade is Wiggins, Cole Aldrich, and pick(s) for Irving?  (Teague instead of Aldrich works better but he can't be traded right now)

What if Rose will choose short money and competing for a title over more money and losing 50 games for the Lakers?

That would give the Cavs a lineup of:

James
Love
Wiggins
Rose
Thompson

That would be a very difficult out.

Toronto is a team that is designed for the playoffs and should not be ignored. The Celtics are better designed this year for the playoffs than previously, but the strength of this team will still be piling up regular season wins with their great depth. Toronto remains a difficult out for us in the playoffs should we meet.

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2017, 06:35:25 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'd rather have IT4.

Please Ainge - stay away.

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2017, 09:34:17 AM »

Offline Th3M2n

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
Ewwww...

Why in the @#@# would we WANT Kyrie?

He is a ballstopper on offense that does nothing but iso-plays and even then isn't the most efficient and is an absolute sieve on defense.

IT was better than him last year and contributed more than just iso play to us.

HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE idea and no way in hell does Danny try and acquire him.

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2017, 10:02:38 AM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
This dude doesnt even come close to playing the way we play - and without Lebron he is a lottery guy year in and year out.. come'on people.   It's totally okay to let some guys go to other places without feeling like Ainge isnt doing his job.

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2017, 10:23:49 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
We don't have to included the Nets and the Lakers/Kings pick. We just have to place an offer that they can look at.

Good luck with that

Oh yes.

If Cleveland declines, no big deal. We just need to be in the mix, assuming we would like to be in on this of course. We dont need to field a blow me away offer.

If we get outbid, its not like it will be the end of the world. If they take our offer, we get Kyrie.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2017, 10:45:18 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If Irving is going anywhere its to NY for Melo. Then Cleveland would have for starters

PG: Rose
SG/PG: Lebron
SF: Anthony
PF: Love
C: Thompson

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2017, 11:23:26 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
No. Irving has a set list of teams he wants. The players dictate where they want to go these days. Also, Irving doesn't move the needle for us. It helps out a little in cap space but horford and Hayward came for IT

Irving has 2 years left on his contract.  I don't think he has a whole lot of bargaining power at all to decide where he goes.  Wherever he's traded to, hes stuck there for at least 2 seasons, like it or not.

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2017, 11:32:07 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Ewwww...

Why in the @#@# would we WANT Kyrie?

He is a ballstopper on offense that does nothing but iso-plays and even then isn't the most efficient and is an absolute sieve on defense.

IT was better than him last year and contributed more than just iso play to us.

HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE idea and no way in hell does Danny try and acquire him.

He's basically Isaiah Thomas without quite as huge a liability on the defensive end.  He'd give us 90% of what IT does offensively while taking away the ability for opposing teams to just utilise size mismatches on defence every time up the floor.

He's also younger then Thomas, and he's on a $20m/year deal for the next couple of years - which is much less then what we are going to have to pay Thomas if we keep him here.

Assuming Thomas is ok with playing alongside Lebron, a sign and trade of IT for Kyrie might make a lot of sense for both teams, if you can disconnect yourself from the situation emotionally.

Kyrie (25), Hayward (26), Brown and Tatum could form an elite core moving forward without hurting us at all in the present. 

Hayward has already gone on record saying that he doesn't see himself as the type of guy to lead / carry a team or be that number one guy - so he'd be happy playing off the ball with Kyrie as the main scoring option. 

I understand that it's not a sexy thought (I don't much like Kyrie myself) but as a pure basketball move it makes a hell of a lot of sense.  There's not really anything you can criticise Kyrie about that you can't just as easily criticise Thomas about - very similar player.s