Author Topic: Schultz: Cavs+Knicks in serious talks for Melo/irving trade  (Read 5648 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 07:10:06 PM by CelticsElite »

Re: If CLE trades Kyrie for Melo, are they better? can we beat them?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 05:11:17 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Thoughts

They would be much much worse... Melo is 33 and steadily declining. Cavs would never do that deal though it is a complete rip off....

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 07:01:56 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
CLE-NY-PHX 3-Way

CLE gets both Melo and Bledsoe, Phx gets Frank and other picks.

Jordan Schultz‏Verified account @Schultz_Report  2m2 minutes ago
More
Jordan Schultz Retweeted Jordan Schultz
Sources also say #Suns want Channing Frye expiring from #Cavs in potential 3-team deal. Also want least one draft pick.Jordan Schultz added,
Jordan SchultzVerified account @Schultz_Report
Source: #Cavs trying to work #Suns into a deal. Bledsoe and Chandler would be part of it. Suns want Frank Ntilikina and other picks. https

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 07:03:41 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Kyrie is overrated. However, Kyrie is very good. Melo is very...not good. They would be significantly worse.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 07:04:14 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
CLE-NY-PHX 3-Way

CLE gets both Melo and Bledsoe, Phx gets Frank and other picks.

Jordan Schultz‏Verified account @Schultz_Report  2m2 minutes ago
More
Jordan Schultz Retweeted Jordan Schultz
Sources also say #Suns want Channing Frye expiring from #Cavs in potential 3-team deal. Also want least one draft pick.Jordan Schultz added,
Jordan SchultzVerified account @Schultz_Report
Source: #Cavs trying to work #Suns into a deal. Bledsoe and Chandler would be part of it. Suns want Frank Ntilikina and other picks. https

That guy is a hack. He's literally the only person I've blocked on Twitter.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Re: Schultz: Cavs+Knicks in serious talks for Melo/irving trade
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 07:14:11 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I assume something else has to be in the works if it's Irving and Melo

does Cav avoid luxury tax if Irving is traded? I wonder who else would be on there? Surely I don't think they expect Rose to be their 4th guy?

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 07:17:46 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2723074-carmelo-anthony-trade-rumors-knicks-mulling-moving-star-picks-for-kyrie-irving

Other, more legit sources saying there are discussions around a Irving for Melo deal.

This still doesn't make sense to me with Love there, though. Like, are they really going to either A) move Love to the 5 (awful idea), or B) play Lebron, Melo, and Love at the 2, 3, and 4 (similarly awful idea)? They'd have to move Love in a separate move, and replacing that many key parts, while also downgrading in overall talent and fit, would simply ensure that they don't win the chip next year.

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 07:23:23 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
If Irving had spoken up before the draft, the Cavs could have likely gotten Paul George for him. They could instead also have dealt with Phil Jackson and gotten Porzingis and Melo together. Now I don't see them getting good value in a Kyrie deal.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 07:34:43 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 07:31:58 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2723074-carmelo-anthony-trade-rumors-knicks-mulling-moving-star-picks-for-kyrie-irving

Other, more legit sources saying there are discussions around a Irving for Melo deal.

This still doesn't make sense to me with Love there, though. Like, are they really going to either A) move Love to the 5 (awful idea), or B) play Lebron, Melo, and Love at the 2, 3, and 4 (similarly awful idea)? They'd have to move Love in a separate move, and replacing that many key parts, while also downgrading in overall talent and fit, would simply ensure that they don't win the chip next year.

I was thinking something like moving Irving AND Love. Seems far-fetched, but make it a three-team trade with NYK and MIA. Maybe:

Kyrie to MIA
Love to NYK
Melo/Dragic/Winslow to CLE

It works in trade checker and I'm sure other components such as expiring/picks could be used to make it happen.

Why Miami does it? They get Kyrie to pair with Whiteside and build a nice foundation.

Why New York does it? They get rid of Melo and get a good player in return on a decent contract.

Why Cleveland does it? They get a quality PG who may actually be a better fit with LeBron, and LeBron's buddy Melo to ease the scoring burden that Kyrie leaves. They get a good prospect in Winslow and maybe some picks/unload bad contracts.

I'm sure it would never happen, but I can see how it helps everyone.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 07:36:52 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
If Irving had spoken up before the draft, the Cavs could have likely gotten Paul George for him. They could instead also have dealt with Phil Jackson and gotten Porzingis and Melo together. Now I don't see them getting good value in a Kyrie deal.

Yea this would have worked out so much better before Butler and George were traded. Really screwed the Cavs on this one... Great for us...

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 07:41:41 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Yea this would have worked out so much better before Butler and George were traded. Really screwed the Cavs on this one... Great for us...

Yeah, we would have been screwed if they had landed Porzingis and Melo, or Paul George for him.

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 07:56:12 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

We're only hearing about this current request now, probably because his silent requests were ignored.

Aldridge reports:

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/07/21/kyrie-irving-seeks-trade-cavaliers-chance-be-leader
Another league source said that Irving made his initial trade request before last month’s Draft, in hopes of being traded to Chicago and playing with All-Star swingman Jimmy Butler. Just before Griffin and the team decided to part ways, Griffin had been working on a three-team deal that would have brought Butler to the Cavs.

But Chicago traded Butler to Minnesota on Draft night for a package of guards Kris Dunn and Zach LaVine, and the 7th pick overall in the first round.

The fact that Griffin was working lame duck and then let go has got to be a factor in nothing happening here. How can you make such a monumental decision when there's nobody in charge with the authority to make it?

I think they just ignored his trade requests, hoping they'd go away. Now he's made them public to put pressure on the organization, but they still don't technically have to do anything. This is their last chance to impress LeBron though, and Irving being around could make their last title run awkward and doomed before it even begins.

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 08:33:27 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Yeah, we would have been screwed if they had landed Porzingis and Melo, or Paul George for him.
no wonder lebrons been panicking recently

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 08:04:50 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I wouldn't be surprised that Griffin was working on an Irving trade, Gilbert  got wind of it and fired Griffin

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2017, 09:13:39 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Not seeing any quoted sources except Haynes saying NY was a destination Kyrie would be open to and that Schultz guy isn't credible

"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk