Author Topic: Idea - Thomas for Irving  (Read 12000 times)

Re: Idea - Thomas for Irving
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2017, 05:55:03 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Kyrie is better than IT.  I love IT but take off the Celtics footie pajamas.

Their productivity on the court last year was nearly identical, by almost every measure.

If your argument is that Kyrie is better than IT, he is only slightly better if you care about productivity and winning.  Even if your argument is that he is clearly better (which their statistics do not back up), you cannot exchange the players straight up.  Any move that would bring Kyrie to the Celtics would make the team much worse in the short and long term.

I get the people who want him because he is younger, and under control for another year at a reasonable salary.  But we need to stop with the he is soooo much better let's trade half our starters and 2 1st round picks for him.  That is silly.

« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2017, 06:17:02 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Does anyone really think that a guy who believes the earth is flat can work well with Brad Stevens?

He's an incredible talent, but he's not a leader, and he's more than a little crazy. This is a BAD idea.

« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2017, 06:22:54 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
IT has been better than Kyrie in last year's reg season.

Kyrie has the better stats if you compare whole careers or performances in the playoffs.

This statement is as uncontroversial as it can possible get - you can check the stats in bball ref if you want.

« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2017, 06:45:37 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
can't see the celtics getting irving without throwing in jaylen or other major asset. This is the trade i was working on

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y893nex6

could see cavs then sending love to the suns for something like bledsoe and bender.

« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2017, 06:54:26 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Does anyone really think that a guy who believes the earth is flat can work well with Brad Stevens?

He's an incredible talent, but he's not a leader, and he's more than a little crazy. This is a BAD idea.
The earths flat comment was something of a political statement.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2017, 07:24:50 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I stopped highlighting right there, on purpose.  This occurred to me today too, so perhaps understandable that he would pull a stunt like this.  Stay away, far away...

« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2017, 07:34:02 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
can't see the celtics getting irving without throwing in jaylen or other major asset. This is the trade i was working on

could see cavs then sending love to the suns for something like bledsoe and bender.
What the holy hell....

Give up IT, Smart AND Jaylen for JUST Kyrie?? Please tell me you're joking.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2017, 12:07:45 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

What the holy hell....

our players get no respect on this blog..... none.

« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2017, 01:56:27 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23
The start of this post is also getting lost.  This deal isn't just about this coming year but the future.  It seems a lot of people want to agree or disagree that Irving and Thomas are equal overall.  But who gives a better chance to win multiple titles, Irving I think is the better option.  His contact having an extra year plays a major part, as well as his age.  With Cleveland looking to be even more of a mess next year with LeBron leaving, there best player would be Love and Thomas if he resigned there.  While the Celtics would have Horford, Hayward and Irving next year as our big three, with all our youth.  Also that extra year of control of Irving could be used as of next year we're wanting to cash in on Irving with younger players or another star we'd be able to.  I'm not saying Thomas is a bad player, but looking at it as what's better for the Celtics long term or just going forward.  Since to me Irving, Hayward, and Horford is a scarier option on the floor then with Thomas. 

« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2017, 05:02:07 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

What the holy hell....

our players get no respect on this blog..... none.

Yeah right. That's why nearly all of our players seem to be worth $20M per.

« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2017, 05:07:53 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
IT is better than Kyrie. Some people are blind.

That's the definite proof.

« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2017, 06:28:50 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Irving has a losing record as the primary option of a team.   IT is not perfect, he is a liability on D at times, and he is short but one can say he is a loser as the primary option on a team.  I for one, am not against upgrading IT at some point, to win it all, we might need a better defender because PG is such a vital position now but I think Irving is not that guy.  I like IT but we are taking about Ainge and if Danny thinks he can improve the team, he would trade his wife.