Author Topic: Idea - Thomas for Irving  (Read 11999 times)

Re: Idea - Thomas for Irving
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 07:00:12 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Way, WAY too much to give up.  Irving is not that much better than Thomas.

ummm yes he is

Care to expand at all?
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 07:49:56 PM »

Offline BigDogPitbull

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
Kyrie is better than IT.  I love IT but take off the Celtics footie pajamas.

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 07:54:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
IT is better than Kyrie. Some people are blind.

You must be smokin that something special  ;D 8)

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2017, 08:07:01 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I honestly don't think Kyrie is any better than IT is right now.

But, Kyrie is 25, has two years left on his deal (at an average of under $20M per), and Danny would probably feel more confident giving Kyrie a full 5-year max than IT. If we can eventually turn Horford (with say BKN pick and Brown or Tatum) into Davis, then we really have something, don't we?

Honestly, if Cleveland is trading him now and they think Lebron might bolt next year, then IT and Crowder give them a really good opportunity to go for it THIS year before re-tooling. They can then keep IT if they want to or let him walk. They would still have Crowder on a very good deal.

I am not trading any premium picks (BKN or LAL/Sac).

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2017, 08:11:18 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
where do I sign...? ;D

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2017, 08:11:40 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
If I had to choose a point guard to provide instant offense and not play any defense, I would probably pick Irving.  IT has other great intangibles that we love rooting for, but he probably isn't a better player than KI.

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2017, 08:15:41 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224

ummm yes he is

Care to expand at all?

- more efficient scorer
- possibly best ball handler/dribbler of this generation..maybe of all time
- NBA champion - knows what it takes to win a title at just 25.
- 5 inches taller. Better at getting in passing lanes and disrupting opposing offenses.
- better rebounder
- more proven clutch shooter
- better pulling up off dribble

you could argue that having IT4 at 7 million  season is better than having Kyrie at 20 mill a season, but if you're arguing IT4 is a better player then you are delusional and don't really know basketball.

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2017, 08:18:44 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
forget Irving ......

im fishing for the BIg FISH now ...!

We want ....... lebron and A, Davis ......equals Super team coached by Brad Stevens ......

Look out Warriors .

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2017, 08:19:32 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Almost 4 years younger, more productive career overall in the 6 years, can score just as well, better defender, not 5'9 with a hip injury. 

Signed for 2 years, gives us a better chance to win a title, gives an extra year with the young kids and not have to worry about paying Thomas 30 million. 

Who would you start a team with, Irving or Thomas?  It's pretty simple Irving.
Folks misunderstood what I said: Irving is not THAT MUCH better than Thomas, where THAT MUCH = Crowder, Rozier, plus 2 lottery picks. However I agree he is better. Get it?  Now let's have a real debate on the OP's trade.

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2017, 08:42:20 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

ummm yes he is

Care to expand at all?

- more efficient scorer
- 5 inches taller. Better at getting in passing lanes and disrupting opposing offenses.
- better rebounder

you could argue that having IT4 at 7 million  season is better than having Kyrie at 20 mill a season, but if you're arguing IT4 is a better player then you are delusional and don't really know basketball.

2017 stats:

Kyrie Irving:
25.2 PPG
3.2 RPG
5.8 APG
.53 eFG%

Isaiah Thomas:
28.9 PPG
2.7 RPG
5.9 APG
.54 eFG%

Im not sure where did you get the Kyrie is a "much better scorer", nor a "much better rebounder" narrative when their number are quite close. Best ball-handler, sure. But is he really a winner? Couldn't take his team to the playoffs before Lebron arrived. IT, meanwhile took a bottom 5 team to the playoffs and the Celtics are slowly improving to a powerhouse team.

Robert Horry is a 7x champion and is just as clutch as Kyrie. I guess he's a better player than both of them.

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2017, 08:59:08 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Negatory, my good man.

IT means too much to BOS to trade him for Kyrie.

This man gave us a heartfelt performance in the playoffs just a few months ago.

To ME, he's endeared himself to BOS.

IT4, The Haymaker, Big Al and this team has unfinished business.

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2017, 10:00:39 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23

ummm yes he is

Care to expand at all?

- more efficient scorer
- better rebounder

2017 stats:

Kyrie Irving:
25.2 PPG
3.2 RPG
5.8 APG
.53 eFG%

Isaiah Thomas:
28.9 PPG
2.7 RPG
5.9 APG
.54 eFG%

Im not sure where did you get the Kyrie is a "much better scorer", nor a "much better rebounder" narrative when their number are quite close. Best ball-handler, sure. But is he really a winner? Couldn't take his team to the playoffs before Lebron arrived. IT, meanwhile took a bottom 5 team to the playoffs and the Celtics are slowly improving to a powerhouse team.

Robert Horry is a 7x champion and is just as clutch as Kyrie. I guess he's a better player than both of them.

First of all Thomas's stats on scoring are of course going to be better.  He was the only true scorer on the team, stats can lie.  Irving had to share the ball with James and Love both guys that can drop 20 points easy daily.

When it was simply Irving of course he didn't take them to the playoffs, the rest of the team blew.  Thomas got traded to a good overall team needed help.

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2017, 10:13:56 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

ummm yes he is

Care to expand at all?

- more efficient scorer
- better rebounder

2017 stats:

Kyrie Irving:
25.2 PPG
3.2 RPG
5.8 APG
.53 eFG%

Isaiah Thomas:
28.9 PPG
2.7 RPG
5.9 APG
.54 eFG%

First of all Thomas's stats on scoring are of course going to be better.  He was the only true scorer on the team, stats can lie.  Irving had to share the ball with James and Love both guys that can drop 20 points easy daily.

When it was simply Irving of course he didn't take them to the playoffs, the rest of the team blew.  Thomas got traded to a good overall team needed help.

I don't agree that Isaiah was traded to a good team in Boston at all. He was traded to a fairly average team and lit a fire under them with his scoring.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2017, 10:13:57 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23

Almost 4 years younger, more productive career overall in the 6 years, can score just as well, better defender, not 5'9 with a hip injury. 

Signed for 2 years, gives us a better chance to win a title, gives an extra year with the young kids and not have to worry about paying Thomas 30 million. 

Who would you start a team with, Irving or Thomas?  It's pretty simple Irving.
Folks misunderstood what I said: Irving is not THAT MUCH better than Thomas, where THAT MUCH = Crowder, Rozier, plus 2 lottery picks. However I agree he is better. Get it?  Now let's have a real debate on the OP's trade.

The original post is a good overall trade.  We gain a younger all star for our all star.  We give them a good role player in Crowder on a good deal.  Rozier would be a young back up point guard.  I said also our 2018 & 2019 first which would be late first round picks.  If they wanted the Lakers pick you wouldn't give them our picks, thought that was clear but sorry if wasn't.  It's not an over pay in the sense you have control of a 26 year old for 2 years and option for a 3rd.  Also getting a good return on both Thomas and Crowder.  Thomas is wanting a max deal which he's not worth.  Crowder is a redundant piece with signing Hayward, drafting Brown last year, Tatum and Ojeleye this year.  Plus just say we get the 1st pick again the #1 prospect is looking to be Porter which is also a wing.

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2017, 10:18:28 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

ummm yes he is

Care to expand at all?

- more efficient scorer
- better rebounder

Red = demonstrably and inarguably false
Blue = iffy, at best

Unlike you, I actually have evidence to back up my claims.

http://bkref.com/tiny/fvlZt

http://on.nba.com/2kxUgwM
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers