Author Topic: Per Windhorst: Kyrie asked to be traded last week  (Read 31592 times)

Re: Per Windhorst: Kyrie asked to be traded last week
« Reply #180 on: July 23, 2017, 11:12:21 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Why are so many people mad at Kyrie? The guy wants to make his legacy. Whether he'll be able to do it or not is another matter altogether, but at least the intent to win is there.

So many on here bashed Lebron for running away to join his friends in Miami, then called Allen a traitor for joining up with Lebron, then called KD a cupcake because he decided to join Steph and the gang instead of beating them. What Kyrie is doing or saying is essentially the opposite of this. He's the anti-KD and if he finds success in SAS, MIN or wherever, I say, good for him! Sure he's not guaranteeing his ticket to the Finals but if he makes it there, he clawed and fought his way to be there instead of "riding a great player's coattails".

I so often hear the complaint that no one wants to be competitive anymore, they just want to team up. Well this is a guy who doesn't want to just "team up". He wants to win and he's betting on himself to be a team's game changer. Whether or not it will come to fruition is another matter altogether, but I honestly think this competitiveness is refreshing to see after dealing with Lebron/KD.

He wants to win so much that he's trying to force a trade to the Knicks, among other teams.
I think it is more about being "the guy" and going back home (grew up in that area). He's get both of those going to NY. As for winning.....probably not gonna happen there, at least not immediately.

I don't know anymore. This NBA off-season has been bonkers.

« Reply #181 on: July 23, 2017, 11:53:02 AM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
Kyrie went to high school in NJ. Why isn't he forcing his way to the Nets?

« Reply #182 on: July 23, 2017, 12:35:27 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I guess things were building up.....  not recent clip. But still , I can see why Irving wants to be traded

Kyrie Irving ANNOYED At Media's Question About LeBron James "Father Figure Role" On Him And The Cavs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUHKmb_Eb3k

« Reply #183 on: July 23, 2017, 12:42:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

LOL

you know why

He wants to either join a contender, play with Jimmy or play in a big market like New York

« Reply #184 on: July 23, 2017, 12:45:52 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
KD goes to the Warriors because he wants to win as many championships as possible and get to the finals as possible and he's crucified. People say 'he can't be the guy!' 'He needs to join the best players in the world!'

Kyrie wants to leave and go be the man somewhere and people say 'Wow why would he leave a spot he can always go to the ECF?!' 'He can't be the man he should just stay with LeBron!'

Guess you can't win in this league anymore.  ???

KD was already on a contender. He chose to ride the coat tails of a 73-win former champion.

Kyrie is already on a contender. He's leaving because he wants the spotlight.

There's nothing inconsistent in the criticism of each.  Each seems motivated to a certain degree by a lack of competitiveness and to want things handed to him.  KD at least honored his contract.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #185 on: July 23, 2017, 01:16:35 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
KD goes to the Warriors because he wants to win as many championships as possible and get to the finals as possible and he's crucified. People say 'he can't be the guy!' 'He needs to join the best players in the world!'

Kyrie wants to leave and go be the man somewhere and people say 'Wow why would he leave a spot he can always go to the ECF?!' 'He can't be the man he should just stay with LeBron!'

Guess you can't win in this league anymore.  ???

KD was already on a contender. He chose to ride the coat tails of a 73-win former champion.

Kyrie is already on a contender. He's leaving because he wants the spotlight.

There's nothing inconsistent in the criticism of each.  Each seems motivated to a certain degree by a lack of competitiveness and to want things handed to him.  KD at least honored his contract.

Agree.

Irving is in his prime on a contending team that drafted him.

Demanding a trade right now is almost unprecedented.

Either things are much more dysfunctional in that locker room/organization than we thought (and he just wants to get out before the whole thing blows up), or he has some really selfish inclinations here.

edit: he also might just see the writing on the wall that the Cavs aren't good enough, and genuinely thinks the Spurs or Wolves are better destinations for contention. That doesn't explain the Knicks demand though.

« Reply #186 on: July 23, 2017, 01:52:09 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Seems like Denver could be a dark horse in all this. They've got the right mix of roster pieces to make a trade work, they're trying to make the playoffs in a brutal West, and they'd allow Cleveland to get Irving out of conference (which seems like it does matter to teams, like it or not). I could see that resulting team being very interesting.

« Reply #187 on: July 23, 2017, 01:58:28 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Seems like Denver could be a dark horse in all this. They've got the right mix of roster pieces to make a trade work, they're trying to make the playoffs in a brutal West, and they'd allow Cleveland to get Irving out of conference (which seems like it does matter to teams, like it or not). I could see that resulting team being very interesting.

Kyrie may not want to go to Denver though. Despite the fact that he doesn't have a no-trade clause, agents run the NBA, and I don't see him getting traded to a team he doesn't want to play for.

« Reply #188 on: July 23, 2017, 02:13:02 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Kyrie may not want to go to Denver though. Despite the fact that he doesn't have a no-trade clause, agents run the NBA, and I don't see him getting traded to a team he doesn't want to play for.

In this case, he really shouldn't have his cake and eat it too. The agent has no leverage here, there is no contract/extension/option lingering. In fact, the agent doesn't even need to be in the loop. There was a time when players got traded without consent, believe it or not.

What's he really gonna do, hold out? Not report? Go ahead, throw away that guaranteed money, see how long that lasts.

He can't say "I want to leave, but only send me here, here, or there." That's not how this works.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #189 on: July 23, 2017, 02:17:26 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

In this case, he really shouldn't have his cake and eat it too. The agent has no leverage here, there is no contract/extension/option lingering. In fact, the agent doesn't even need to be in the loop. There was a time when players got traded without consent, believe it or not.

What's he really gonna do, hold out? Not report? Go ahead, throw away that guaranteed money, see how long that lasts.

He can't say "I want to leave, but only send me here, here, or there." That's not how this works.

Unfortunately nowadays, it is how it works though. I'm sure a large part of the trade destination is to increase Kyrie's marketing potential and make more money. That's why the Knicks are even on the list. Sure, the Cavs could trade him anywhere. Then he could mail it in playing for his new team and act like a jerk until they trade him for peanuts. More importantly, next time the Cavs want to sign a big name free agent or want to get in on a big trade, Kyrie's agent can easily ruin it for them. Agents run the league, Ainge knows this, which is why he has been so successful.

« Reply #190 on: July 23, 2017, 02:28:01 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51

Well, Cleveland's going to trade him to whoever makes the best offer, so it comes down to whether Denver would risk trading for him. He's not an expiring deal, so you've got at least a year to try to sell him on the team and if it doesn't work out you can re-flip him elsewhere. Denver's been pretty active the last couple years trying to raise their profile with big-name guys though - a surprisingly active recruitment of Dwyane Wade, making what was reported to be a huge offer for Blake Griffin, having a Kevin Love trade almost done, and now signing Paul Millsap. I think Kyrie on a two-year deal, knowing that you could pull the parachute cord next summer and recoup some of your investment if it goes bad, is the kind of risk profile Denver would be willing to accept to put a second young star next to Jokic (who's kind of like KG on offense where it's really better if he's got a volume scorer as the first option while he takes care of everything else).

Supposedly Kyrie's biggest desire is to have the ball in his hands and be the featured guy, and Denver can give him that without totally gutting their roster to get him. I think it could be a good fit for both franchises (acknowledging that none of this is ideal for Cleveland to begin with).

« Reply #191 on: July 23, 2017, 03:01:12 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The Nets are in Brooklyn which you kniw is NY and they are worse than the Knicks and don't have Porzingus
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #192 on: July 23, 2017, 06:02:10 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
The longer this goes on probably the worse for the Cavs. Bledsoe and warren may be the best they can do

« Reply #193 on: July 23, 2017, 06:21:13 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
The longer this goes on probably the worse for the Cavs. Bledsoe and warren may be the best they can do

no its not

cavs should be able to get a ton back for Irving

« Reply #194 on: July 23, 2017, 06:25:17 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
They should trade Lebron first, he is leaving anyway