Author Topic: Per Windhorst: Kyrie asked to be traded last week  (Read 31587 times)

Re: Per Windhorst: Kyrie asked to be traded last week
« Reply #165 on: July 22, 2017, 09:37:19 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Wiggins, Aldrich, and Jones for Irving makes pretty good sense for both teams assuming the Wolves believe Irving and Teague can work as a starting backcourt.

The Cavs could then trade Love to Phoenix for Bledsoe, Warren, and Bender (or something like that). 

Completely remade Cavs that are probably a better fit together (with some young assets should James leave) and it makes sense for Minnesota and Phoenix respectively.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #166 on: July 22, 2017, 09:45:20 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I'd love to see San Antonio somehow pull this off. I want them to get Kawhi some help.

Don't see a clear path for them, but I hope Pop and Buford pull something out of the sky.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #167 on: July 22, 2017, 10:35:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I've always liked Kyrie, but I'd be pretty wary of a guy who prefers the spotlight over annual trips to the Finals.

He'd play on the Knicks rather than compete for titles? That's worrisome.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #168 on: July 23, 2017, 12:09:45 AM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I've always liked Kyrie, but I'd be pretty wary of a guy who prefers the spotlight over annual trips to the Finals.

He already got his ring, and hit the 3 to secure it. He doesn't need to prove that he's a winner anymore. I could understand if he wants to take the next step in his career and lead a team. These top players are mostly all alpha males. Sometimes they get competitive, jealous, and hard to deal with/be around. That prob goes for both Kyrie and Lebron.

Kyrie Irving might be the best ball handler in the league. I'd say he's a lock for top 5. On the Cavs in crunch time, the ball is in Lebron's hands to make the decision. I could see Kyrie wanting to call the shots.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 12:25:46 AM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #169 on: July 23, 2017, 12:26:42 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

He already got his ring, and hit the 3 to secure it. He doesn't need to prove that he's a winner anymore. I could understand if he wants to take the next step in his career and lead a team. These top players are mostly all alpha males. Sometimes they get competitive, jealous, and hard to deal with/be around. That prob goes for both Kyrie and Lebron.

Kyrie Irving might be the best ball handler in the league. I'd say he's a lock for top 5. On the Cavs in crunch time, the ball is in Lebron's hands to make the decision. I could see Kyrie wanting to call the shots.
hall of famers and legends aren't content with 1 title.  Cp3, iT, rondo, Rubio are  a better ball handler.

« Reply #170 on: July 23, 2017, 12:36:26 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

hall of famers and legends aren't content with 1 title.  Cp3, iT, rondo, Rubio are  a better ball handler.

Nobody should confuse this with his willingness to accept losing. He still wants to win, he just wants to lead his team into battle every game.

In an era that gets (rightfully) shamed for players desperately attempting to play with other star friends, I can't fault a guy for wanting to take the hard path to attempt to win again. This isn't like he is going to a terrible team for more money. He's already got his contract, he wants to go win a ring and get the credit he feels he deserves, which he will NEVER get alongside LeBron.

I actually applaud that. Even if he goes to another team with a star already there (like SAS or MIN), he can shine alongside those guys, not behind like in Cleveland.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #171 on: July 23, 2017, 12:50:33 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
Nope - This tells me the guy is a self-centered jerk.

Did Bird or McHale or even Max want to get out from under each other to feed their egos ?

Did Magic, Kareem or Worthy want to leave to be "The Man" ?

No & No.

Just another symptom of our sick culture.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #172 on: July 23, 2017, 01:09:00 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Why are so many people mad at Kyrie? The guy wants to make his legacy. Whether he'll be able to do it or not is another matter altogether, but at least the intent to win is there.

So many on here bashed Lebron for running away to join his friends in Miami, then called Allen a traitor for joining up with Lebron, then called KD a cupcake because he decided to join Steph and the gang instead of beating them. What Kyrie is doing or saying is essentially the opposite of this. He's the anti-KD and if he finds success in SAS, MIN or wherever, I say, good for him! Sure he's not guaranteeing his ticket to the Finals but if he makes it there, he clawed and fought his way to be there instead of "riding a great player's coattails".

I so often hear the complaint that no one wants to be competitive anymore, they just want to team up. Well this is a guy who doesn't want to just "team up". He wants to win and he's betting on himself to be a team's game changer. Whether or not it will come to fruition is another matter altogether, but I honestly think this competitiveness is refreshing to see after dealing with Lebron/KD.
- LilRip

« Reply #173 on: July 23, 2017, 01:28:54 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Did Bird or McHale or even Max want to get out from under each other to feed their egos ?

No & No.

I'm glad someone finally is rejecting Lebron and all of his crap of holding the franchise hostage.

the franchise cowtows to Lebron and is screwed as a result to the point Lebron himself is likely out. Who would choose that?  Not like it's an impressive organization (or city for that matter).

« Reply #174 on: July 23, 2017, 01:39:37 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
@Schultz_Report

Source: 1 trade being discussed
#Cavs get Melo/Bledsoe
#Knicks get Kyrie/Chandler
#Suns get Love/Frank

I just don't see why the Cavs move love also. At this point you have to move Kyrie, and while Bledsoe is worse, he is a very good player.

Love for Melo is a negative for the Cavs. Love is a better rebounder, a better shooter, fits in an offense better, and has quietly become a better defender than he was earlier in his career. Also he is significantly younger than melo. The only thing melo is better at is getting and creating his own shot.

Who do you think the Cavs are going to get? They'll be lucky to get $.50 on the dollar. The best move frankly is to keep Kyrie
that is like .10 cents on the dollar. There is no reason for the Cavs to move Love especially to downgrade 2 positions and with absolutely no salary relief or young assets.

They could just do the trade with the Suns and move Irving in a separate trade and get far more for him. Denver is interested and has a lot of interesting pieces for example

Cavs would also get picks in the deal and get Loves contract off the books in the likely event LeBron leaves and they have to go full rebuild. They also get to try to win next season. Win/win
they don't get to try and win next season because they would make their team significantly worse.  That is a terrible trade for Cleveland with Love included. Take Love out of it and it makes much more sense.
Yup.  Terrible trade for Cleveland.  As said, remove love and maybe sort of fair.

Geez you guys act like Melo is total trash. Melo and Love aren't miles apart. Bledsoe is a very good PG. More importantly, both are very close to LeBron and respect him and wouldn't mind playing second fiddle. It's  good chemistry/locker room move to clear the decks of Love and Kyrie, who both seemingly hate James, and get some of his buddies in there while picking up some draft picks in the process.

« Reply #175 on: July 23, 2017, 01:42:30 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

No & No.

I'm glad someone finally is rejecting Lebron and all of his crap of holding the franchise hostage.

the franchise cowtows to Lebron and is screwed as a result to the point Lebron himself is likely out. Who would choose that?  Not like it's an impressive organization (or city for that matter).

This is his pattern.  I think those who think Celts fans are lying when they say they wouldn't want LeBron are losing the forest from the trees.  We have a great future.... why on earth would you screw that up by handing over all aspects of the organization to a guy that is going on 34 and is really good at losing in the Finals? Thats what you sign up for with Lebron, and at this stage, it's definitely not worth it.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #176 on: July 23, 2017, 10:34:03 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

That last part isn't true. Kyrie had a higher usage in clutch situations and more crunch time shots than Lebron.

We've already seen what happens when Kyrie is the man: he leads his team to the lottery.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #177 on: July 23, 2017, 10:36:19 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Why are so many people mad at Kyrie? The guy wants to make his legacy. Whether he'll be able to do it or not is another matter altogether, but at least the intent to win is there.

So many on here bashed Lebron for running away to join his friends in Miami, then called Allen a traitor for joining up with Lebron, then called KD a cupcake because he decided to join Steph and the gang instead of beating them. What Kyrie is doing or saying is essentially the opposite of this. He's the anti-KD and if he finds success in SAS, MIN or wherever, I say, good for him! Sure he's not guaranteeing his ticket to the Finals but if he makes it there, he clawed and fought his way to be there instead of "riding a great player's coattails".

I so often hear the complaint that no one wants to be competitive anymore, they just want to team up. Well this is a guy who doesn't want to just "team up". He wants to win and he's betting on himself to be a team's game changer. Whether or not it will come to fruition is another matter altogether, but I honestly think this competitiveness is refreshing to see after dealing with Lebron/KD.

He wants to win so much that he's trying to force a trade to the Knicks, among other teams.

« Reply #178 on: July 23, 2017, 10:40:54 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

He wants to win so much that he's trying to force a trade to the Knicks, among other teams.
It's weird how he seems to want either NYK or SAS the most, two teams seemingly at opposite ends of the 'win now' spectrum.

If he went to San Antonio, he'd be second fiddle to Kawhi, but would probably make it to the WCF and I'd back them in to come out on top. If he joined the Knicks however, they'd scrap for anywhere between the 5th seed to the 8th seed, depending on injuries.

Weird that his desired teams are so different.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #179 on: July 23, 2017, 11:11:30 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
KD goes to the Warriors because he wants to win as many championships as possible and get to the finals as possible and he's crucified. People say 'he can't be the guy!' 'He needs to join the best players in the world!'

Kyrie wants to leave and go be the man somewhere and people say 'Wow why would he leave a spot he can always go to the ECF?!' 'He can't be the man he should just stay with LeBron!'

Guess you can't win in this league anymore.  ???