Author Topic: Per Windhorst: Kyrie asked to be traded last week  (Read 31370 times)

Re: Per Windhorst: Kyrie asked to be traded last week
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 04:00:20 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
What is he thinking?  He has a red carpet to the Finals again this year.  If they find a way to beat Golden State, then hallelujah, nothing was ever wrong.  If they don't, then LeBron leaves anyway and the Cavs become Irving's team. 

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 04:02:33 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
First the flat earth and now this?  Is Irving crazy?  Does he remember what life was like before LeBron came around?

The request came last week and was made to Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert. Irving has expressed that he wants to go play in a situation where he can be a more focal point and no longer wants to play alongside LeBron James, sources said.

When Irving signed his deal, he expected to be the franchise player for the foreseeable future. But about two weeks later, James arrived from Miami. The sudden change of situation rocked Irving, and he has vacillated at times over the past three years about working as a secondary star to James and the original plan of having his own team.

He discussed the challenge during last month's NBA Finals.

"Having just a tremendously great player like that come to your team and you see yourself being one of those great players eventually and then he ends up joining it and then now you have to almost take a step back and observe," Irving said. "Finding that balance is one of the toughest things to do because you have so much belief and confidence in yourself. ... Selfishly, I always wanted to just show everyone in the whole entire world exactly who I was every single time."

With this in mind, Irving considered requesting a trade following the Cavs championship last season but decided against it, sources said.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 04:03:26 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Celtics on their way to taking over the East  8)

In all seriousness though, we'll see how overrated Kyrie is. Great player, but NOT a superstar. People seem to forget that the Cavs team with him as the "leader" and alpha was a 25-win team at best.

Looking clear Irving and/or James are gone after next season (maybe both?)

Yes. Agreed. And I don't think Kyrie has improved all that much since then. I think Cleveland sinks back down to being a non-playoff team should LeBron leave.

That is also why I think this is good news for Cleveland because Kyrie is not someone they can build around post-LeBron.

Kyrie is more valuable as a trade asset than as a player.

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2017, 04:04:59 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I'm curious how this will go. It's not an issue of money. It's not an issue of team quality. It seems to be an issue of hierarchy. Irving wants to be the guy, which is kind of humorous considering they would be in the lottery ever year had James not returned.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20124505/kyrie-irving-seeking-trade-cleveland-cavaliers

Apparently that's exactly it.
I wish I could say I guessed, but I read the article as soon as it was posted, ha. I said "seems" because I'm still iffy on Windhorst, but David Aldridge just tweeted confirmation so it's definitely true.

I'll also just add that I know Irving wants to be the "guy" but I would have zero problem if Ainge inquired on him. Players of his offensive caliber aren't available often.

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2017, 04:07:05 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Cleveland should just trade Lebron for someone and keep Kyrie.

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2017, 04:07:25 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Does anyone think this could have something to do with Derrick Rose now?

I mean, if Irving does get his wish, enter Rose? (Not saying it's an upgrade and he is injury-prone, but still..)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2017, 04:08:07 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
There you go. Cleveland needs to find a taker for Irving that can give them pieces to keep LBJ happy longterm.

IDK seems LBJ will just head to the Lakers next summer anyway. Especially if the team implodes and he's playing with Love and a bunch of scrubs/mid-first rookies next year. I don't think Irving will fetch a huge haul.

If Irving is absolutely determined to leave, it probably makes sense for the Cavs to move LBJ and Love now for every young stud and draft pick they can..

I've never - and still don't - buy the Lebron to Lakers hype. Even if Paul George goes too, that team doesn't get to the finals over GSW. Lebron is not dumb. At this point in his career, he wants to win championships.

Kyrie and JR Smith to Memphis for Mike Conley and a pick??
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2017, 04:08:12 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

But they might be able to get a nice haul for him though. If I were Philly, if consider trading some of those young guys for Kyrie.

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2017, 04:08:17 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I kind of think this too, since it seems 50 50 at best that Lebron will leave in a year and Kyrie is under contract.

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2017, 04:10:20 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Somewhere in Boston:

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2017, 04:11:22 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84

I kind of think this too, since it seems 50 50 at best that Lebron will leave in a year and Kyrie is under contract.

If I were Lebron, I'd beg Gibert to do it and take the pressure off of him for leaving next summer.

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2017, 04:13:49 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

If I were Lebron, I'd beg Gibert to do it and take the pressure off of him for leaving next summer.
Eitther way it helps the Celtics. Derrick Rose at Point is not going to get you a title. This is great news for us celtics fans. The problem is who wants KI to be the Face of the Franchise if he is that selfish.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2017, 04:14:00 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Was just getting ready to post this.

Man, this is crazy. Does Cleveland even make it to the season with the big 3 intact?

With everything surrounding the Cavs right now, it seriously makes you wonder whether Danny should inquire about nabbing Lebron, who at this point looks good as gone next year anyways.

I mean, neither Lebron nor Kyrie has a no-trade clause, and with how things look now it's unlikely that either of them will be Cavs next year. At this point, why not trade both of them and stockpile the mountain of assets that you could get for them?

Lebron would be a pretty ideal fit at the 4 for us, and I'm sure Danny would give up quite a few of his top assets for him.

It would be best for both the Cavs and LeBron long-term to trade LeBron now.  He's leaving Cleveland, so you get what you can long run.  And LeBron doesn't look like a villain this time. 

But short term, it's terrible for the Cavs, because it could literally be 30 years before they have another chance at winning a title if LeBron is moved this year.  Sometimes it's best to gonfornthe short-term.

I think Phoenix is a real nice partner for Cleveland for Irving.  They could send back Bledsoe, some prospect, and a pick or two.  Irving next to Booker is a suburb scoring backcourt, and they can hide Irving's lack of defense with Jackson.

Meanwhile Bledsoe could be a decent fit in Cleveland this year, allowing them to continue to compete this year, while starting to build up their long-term assets with whatever else they get back for Irving.  Maybe it would be enough to convince LeBron to stay.

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2017, 04:15:16 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

And you'd get a lot more for LeBron than Irving in a trade, even at this stage. Sixers might go all in now, Suns, I can think of a lot of teams..

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2017, 04:15:38 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
What an absolute train wreck of an offseason for them....