Author Topic: Smart putting in work with Horford/looks ripped in recent photo  (Read 27305 times)

Re: Smart putting in work with Horford/looks ripped in recent photo
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2017, 10:05:18 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
here's a video breakdown of the work Marcus has put into his jump shot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUMRzSDY33E&feature=youtu.be
Tp for the video. I really enjoyed watching it. Makes me hopeful for this season for smart.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #106 on: August 17, 2017, 12:50:16 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Holy moses we are in for a seriously good year if Marcus finally breaks out. It would make letting IT walk (god forbid) palatable.

P.S Not sure why I'm getting all biblical - could be just wanting to BELIEVE!!!
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #107 on: August 17, 2017, 01:36:28 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
https://www.instagram.com/p/BW0bVPLA28d/

Good to see Smart working so hard this summer to improve his game. He's got a big contract year coming up.

Is it just me, or does he look significantly thinner and actually ripped? You can't tell me he had those abs this past season when everyone was calling him fat!

Perhaps the coaching staff did ask him to bulk up last year to play bigger, and now that we have a million wings and he has zero reason to play the 3 he's slimming back down. That'd probably do wonders for his game.

I would love to see the physiques of posters that regularly call Marcus fat or tubby.

Firstly, I don't think Smart was every "fat" or "tubby".  He's a professional athlete, and by pro-athlete standards his body fat % seemed to be on the average-to-slightly-above-average range.  Which isn't necessarily a huge issue for bigs or even wings, but can be a limitation for guards who needs to stick with guys like Kemba Walker and John Wall on a nightly basis. 

If you saw Smart waling on the street among a sea of every day people, I have no doubt he would stand out as looking extremely athletic and well conditioned by comparison. 

That said I don't think the "I would love to see the physiques of posters that regularly call Marcus fat or tubby." comment the slightest bit relevant. 

I work in the IT industry, and if I were getting paid an excessively large salary to do my job, then I think there is going to be an expectation that I will go out of my way to make sure I am up to speed with the technologies I am working with, that I have all the necessary certifications (etc) to ensure I am able to my job to the absolute best of my ability. 

Marcus Smart is not a computer programmer, or a chef, or a high school teacher.  He's a professional athlete who gets paid millions of dollars play basketball.  While my job depends on technical knowledge in order for me to be at my best, his depends heavily on his physical conditioning.

Therefore it does not make any rational sense to hold random people posting on a forum to the same standard as a professional athlete, in terms of physical conditioning.  That's just silly.

« Reply #108 on: August 17, 2017, 06:25:15 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If I had a dollar for all the guys look ripped threads here I could probably buy a car.   People even did these on Sullinger and they were never true but in this case it looks like they might be on to something.

« Reply #109 on: August 17, 2017, 09:13:49 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

TP, this gives me hope.  Video is excellent analysis of his mechanical problems and that he is trying to address them.

« Reply #110 on: August 21, 2017, 02:38:29 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

Tp for the video. I really enjoyed watching it. Makes me hopeful for this season for smart.

TP for the Video, it really shows why Smart's shot is a lost cause.

Everyone on the chart they showed who had back-to-back-to-back sub .300 3 point shooting seasons (Smart's had 3 in a row now) was a sub-.300 career 3 point shooter.   

Hopefully his offseason work will at least improve his shot enough in the short term to boost his trade value.   

« Reply #111 on: August 21, 2017, 03:13:06 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

define "lost cause"

« Reply #112 on: August 21, 2017, 03:16:43 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
If I had a dollar for all the guys look ripped threads here I could probably buy a car.   People even did these on Sullinger and they were never true but in this case it looks like they might be on to something.

Indeed. All the way back to such NBA HOFers as Brandon Hunter, Orien Greene and Delonte West.

I take these threads, and the innumerable (fill in the name of the obscure draft choice or free agent) "is bound to have a breakout year" threads, for what they're worth.

About the same as summer league. Nothing.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2017, 04:15:39 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

Everyone on the chart they showed who had back-to-back-to-back sub .300 3 point shooting seasons (Smart's had 3 in a row now) was a sub-.300 career 3 point shooter.   

Hopefully his offseason work will at least improve his shot enough in the short term to boost his trade value.

Sorry to get in the way of your Smart hostility, but his rookie year he shot 33.5%, which is above 30.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2017, 04:46:28 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Sorry to get in the way of your Smart hostility, but his rookie year he shot 33.5%, which is above 30.

Sorry I forgot he shot above .300 his rookie year!  His career 3% is so low I assumed his rookie year was another sub .300 season. 

And there's no hostility to it, I'm simply grouping players based on similarities in their careers.  There's nothing hostile about pointing out that players on that list who had back-to-back-to-back sub .300 seasons failed to improve over their careers... 

But since Smart has actually only had back-to-back sub .300 3 point shooting seasons we can say that based on that list it's EXTREMELY unlikely that he'll improve as a 3 point shooter since he's in the same company as MCW, Corey Brewer, Josh Smith, and Jared Sullinger.

« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2017, 06:32:55 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Jason Kidd shot .272, .336, 370, .323 then .400. he had a .461 and a .425. His career was .349. I think smart will get more open looks this year and will be better than a  career .340 shooter IMO.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2017, 07:08:09 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Jason Kidd shot .272, .336, 370, .323 then .400. he had a .461 and a .425. His career was .349. I think smart will get more open looks this year and will be better than a  career .340 shooter IMO.

TP, there are precedents. Artest another one.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2017, 07:39:25 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

TP to both of you. Smart is only 23. He's working hard. It's difficult to believe that he isn't going to become an acceptable shooter.

« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2017, 08:04:47 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

TP to both of you. Smart is only 23. He's working hard. It's difficult to believe that he isn't going to become an acceptable shooter.

Please give me their TP's instead since Jayson Kidd had one sub .300 season in his entire career and that was his rookie year. 

We should be proud that Smart has already accomplished something Jayson Kidd and Antoine Walker never could... pull off back to back sub .300 shooting seasons from 3.

« Reply #119 on: August 21, 2017, 08:44:50 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Honestly, I'm not sure exactly what it is with Smart, because his shooting is not CONSISTENTLY terrible.  I mean it IS over the long term, but he does go through stretches where he'll shoot really well for a month or two...and he has a tendency to also shoot consistently well in clutch situations and in huge games (e.g. playoffs). 

This leads me to think that there is a possibility his issues might be mental - i.e. overthinking too much (versus acting more in instinct when he is hyped up in clutch situations) and that then leaves me thinking he might have hope.

I honestly hope he can develop a capable shot.  I'm not hoping for him to become a 40% shooter or even a 36% shooter - if he can just improve to a consistent 33% - 34% shooter then I can kinda live that.  At least that would make him enough of a threat that opposing teams cant really afford to just give him 5 feet of space and dare him to shoot all night. 

But I cant bring myself to invest too much faith in him doing that.  I'm still suffering from that condition called Sully-phobia, and after watching people coming out every offseason saying "Sully will improve his outside shot" and "Sully looks better conditioned this year" and "sully promised to improve his shot selection this year" (etc) and watching Smart seemingly going down so many of those same paths...I find it difficult to invest my faith.