Author Topic: Smart putting in work with Horford/looks ripped in recent photo  (Read 27360 times)

Re: Smart putting in work with Horford/looks ripped in recent photo
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2017, 09:36:36 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I'm going to throw a comp out there that I honestly believe is Marcus' ceiling.... Dwyane Wade and honestly if he's going to be a shooting guard/ ball handler Wade is the perfect person to emulate.

There's such a gap with all the shots Wade mastered and Smart is not that level of athlete but I would LOVE if he adopted many of Wade's shots in the paint (Wade has an incredible push shot, half hook shot, floater).  Wade is one of the absolute best ever at all those shots especially for a guard.  I think every guard should emulate all those Wade shots, crazy they don't more.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2017, 09:39:43 AM »

Offline straightouttabahstun

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • That's turrible
He looks great, I hope he is shooting threes too.

I wish there was a good way to practice finishing at the rim. I think that's where he needs the most improvement.

Hopefully the tighter bod will give him a little more lift going to the hoop (and a little more confidence as not to fall backwards/sideways on every attempt). He needs to take some notes out of Jaylen's book who has seemingly turned into a pretty elite finisher, even through contact, in a very short amount of time. I think it would be impossible to emulate IT's game.

As for Smart himself, I hope he either has a total break-out year or a pretty 'meh' year. I would very much like to keep him and I think these are the only two ways that happens.

I personally hope for our sake and his own, he breaks out. This will make next off season an easier decision. If Smart becomes a pretty ok offensive player, I think management lets IT walk and we get younger guys getting more opportunities to score (a la Brown and Tatum). Better decision in the long run. Especially with the East becoming worse and LeBron highly likely going West.

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2017, 09:51:04 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I wish there was a good way to practice finishing at the rim. I think that's where he needs the most improvement.

Hopefully the tighter bod will give him a little more lift going to the hoop (and a little more confidence as not to fall backwards/sideways on every attempt). He needs to take some notes out of Jaylen's book who has seemingly turned into a pretty elite finisher, even through contact, in a very short amount of time. I think it would be impossible to emulate IT's game.

As for Smart himself, I hope he either has a total break-out year or a pretty 'meh' year. I would very much like to keep him and I think these are the only two ways that happens.

Yeah, I'm hoping a breakout year, because star-level Smart makes us an actual title contender.  I'm not sure we get to keep him even with a meh year.

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2017, 10:41:44 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Yeah, I'm hoping a breakout year, because star-level Smart makes us an actual title contender.  I'm not sure we get to keep him even with a meh year.

Smart's best comp might be TA post-injury. Not enough quickness/hops to slash/finish, not a shooter, defensive impact player.  Better handle and passer, but only average at each instead of sucky. Offensive game only rises to 'competent backup' level.

I like him enough, but not more than the mid level he could be replaced with.

Ainge - if we end up using all the picks - is taking as many shots as he can at finding star players. There aren't many of those, and some drafts don't really have any. So we're going to see a lot of good-not-great players come through, and be let go, to make room to get a long look at the next upstart.

We are going to have to get used to letting go.

« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2017, 11:32:47 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
To me Smart looks exactly the same in that pic as he always has. 

« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2017, 12:48:27 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Everyone knows Marcus Smart gains weight in the second half of games.

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2017, 05:32:40 PM »

Offline Bostoncelticsforlife7

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
I'm gonna be so mad if we don't resign Smart, pay him 18 mil if you have to, just make sure he doesn't walk.
Warning: I am a Marucs Smart homer

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2017, 05:38:20 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
To me Smart looks exactly the same in that pic as he always has.

Lol of course you do.

What's that old saying: As inevitable as death, taxes, and Crimson saying something negative about Smart? Lol

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2017, 06:00:39 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I love Smart and I'd love for him to be a Celtic for life, but it's not happening. Unless he blossoms into a true star this year, no way the Celtics will pay him. We're looking at $40+ million in luxury tax to resign both IT and Smart.

Only way Marcus stays is if for some reason they can't or won't resign IT.

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2017, 06:37:56 PM »

Offline Bostoncelticsforlife7

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
I love Smart and I'd love for him to be a Celtic for life, but it's not happening. Unless he blossoms into a true star this year, no way the Celtics will pay him. We're looking at $40+ million in luxury tax to resign both IT and Smart.

Only way Marcus stays is if for some reason they can't or won't resign IT.
If we lose Smart, we lose our identity...
Warning: I am a Marucs Smart homer

« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2017, 06:53:02 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Smart's best comp might be TA post-injury. Not enough quickness/hops to slash/finish, not a shooter, defensive impact player.  Better handle and passer, but only average at each instead of sucky. Offensive game only rises to 'competent backup' level.

I like him enough, but not more than the mid level he could be replaced with.

Ainge - if we end up using all the picks - is taking as many shots as he can at finding star players. There aren't many of those, and some drafts don't really have any. So we're going to see a lot of good-not-great players come through, and be let go, to make room to get a long look at the next upstart.

We are going to have to get used to letting go.

I do think TA is a decent present-moment comp remembering (as you did) not to over-hype TA's skills (his handle and his decision-making made him pretty dangerous, in a bad way, with the ball).

The thing is Marcus Smart is currently 2 month younger than Tony Allen was at the start of TAs rookie season.   Marcus' ceiling still soars beyond Tony Allen's prime.  With that said, I do think that this year is the year we should see what Marcus could be. If it's the same Marcus with no improvement/consistency on the offensive end, I'll begin the acceptance phase...

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2017, 07:15:40 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
We've got 56 million a year locked up in Al Horford and Gordon Hayward people, there is 0% chance we are resigning Smart.

Make your farewells and make them quickly.

« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2017, 08:29:42 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

I have a theory that learning better footwork would help him to be more balanced as he's jumping for layups and the like and that would make it easier for him to finish around the rim. It could even help his jump shooting too but he definitely needs to make finishing a priority.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2017, 08:31:14 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
We've got 56 million a year locked up in Al Horford and Gordon Hayward people, there is 0% chance we are resigning Smart.

Never say never. Smart averaged over 30 mpg last year for the #1 seeded team in the EC. Of course I would like to get him for a discount or have him transform into a surefire all-star, but this is not the same as Olynyk. The only year we tanked was in 13-14 and we drafted Smart. He has been a major part of our rotation for three years and we traded away the #1 pick who would have likely replaced him.

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2017, 08:41:10 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306

Never say never. Smart averaged over 30 mpg last year for the #1 seeded team in the EC. Of course I would like to get him for a discount or have him transform into a surefire all-star, but this is not the same as Olynyk. The only year we tanked was in 13-14 and we drafted Smart. He has been a major part of our rotation for three years and we traded away the #1 pick who would have likely replaced him.
Keeping him would be awesome, but say we give IT $30 million/yr. If Smart commands $18 million, that would be nearly $50 million in point guards, and  a luxury tax of over $40 million.

Simply no way we can keep MS unless something happens like injury that keeps us from re-upping IT. We can't sink big $$ into all these rookies, plus 2 potential high picks next year, IT, Al, and GH and then keep MS on top of that.