Author Topic: Smart putting in work with Horford/looks ripped in recent photo  (Read 27359 times)

Re: Smart putting in work with Horford/looks ripped in recent photo
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2017, 10:40:29 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Marcus Smart gets fatter as the season progresses

some people don't handle eating late....without gaining some weight...  Even after an intense game/workout session

Unless my memory is failing me, Smart looked to have come in this past season with a bit of extra weight and trimmed down as the season progressed.

don't you remember Tommy stating Marcus gained weight in the 2nd half of the 2nd half...thus his decrease performance?

he didn't have the "snap" as he did earlier in the season. And I agree with Tommy

I think he probably did get "bigger", but I don't think that in any means he is "fatter". Sullinger is one that does get noticeably "fatter" as the season progresses. For Smart, I think for him it is mostly bulk muscles, and not fat.

I think his slimming down is him wanting to improve his quickness. I never doubted that Smart  was ever "fat"

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2017, 10:41:16 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

some people don't handle eating late....without gaining some weight...  Even after an intense game/workout session

I'm glad you've found a new target to criticize about weight.  You must really have missed Sullinger last year to move into Smart.

I can't wait to see your enlightened takes on Yabusele.

That'd be hilarious, because Yab is a freak of nature. He's legitimately like 6% body fat with significant amounts of lean mass.

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2017, 10:42:50 PM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
Lean, bulky, fat, skinny it don't matter if all you do is cower behind the 3 point line and gun up 3s 😂

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2017, 01:30:57 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I'm going to throw a comp out there that I honestly believe is Marcus' ceiling.... Dwyane Wade and honestly if he's going to be a shooting guard/ ball handler Wade is the perfect person to emulate.

When you see one of Smart's good offensive games, the way he scores is very Wade-esque... not a lot of threes, but tons of drives and post-ups... timely cuts to the basket or curls off screens to hit mid-range jumpers.

Smart's offensive potential is underrated due to his lack of consistency but the raw tools and ability are there.

Not even close. Zero chance at DWade status. D Wade was one of the best 2 guard athletes of all Time. Wade is also 2" taller and 2" longer

Smart hasn't even shown he can finish inside with any consistency.

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2017, 01:57:58 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I'd love to see Smart rebalance himself by focusing on more post-ups and dribble drives, and only open 3s, with slightly higher usage and assist rate.

Now: 5x 2PT (42%), 4x 3PT (28%), 3x FTA (80%), 22% AST rate.
Goal: 9x 2PT (45%), 2x 3PT (35%), 5x FTA (80%), 25% AST rate.

Old line: 10.6/4.6/3.9 on 42/28/80
New line: 13.5/6/5 on 45/35/80

Keep defending and making big plays and that's a reachable, [dang] good player.

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2017, 02:57:03 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Where is celtic2030 when you need him  :laugh:

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2017, 07:17:00 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
I'm going to throw a comp out there that I honestly believe is Marcus' ceiling.... Dwyane Wade and honestly if he's going to be a shooting guard/ ball handler Wade is the perfect person to emulate.

When you see one of Smart's good offensive games, the way he scores is very Wade-esque... not a lot of threes, but tons of drives and post-ups... timely cuts to the basket or curls off screens to hit mid-range jumpers.

Smart's offensive potential is underrated due to his lack of consistency but the raw tools and ability are there.

Not even close. Zero chance at DWade status. D Wade was one of the best 2 guard athletes of all Time. Wade is also 2" taller and 2" longer

Didn't know 6'4" was two inches shorter than 6'4"... you learn something new every day.

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2017, 07:44:08 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He looks great, I hope he is shooting threes too.

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2017, 07:45:06 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Triboy dropping knowledge on all of us. So it has nothing to do with daily Macro consumption, it's all about eating "late". To help me out further, what is the cutoff point for "late"? If late is 11 and you eat at 1030, does your body know the difference and you don't gain unwanted "fat"? Another question, what if you travel to Australia, does your body know it's late in Australia or is it still gaining "fat" because  your eating breakfast down under, but your body thinks you're in the USA.

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2017, 07:57:17 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Triboy dropping knowledge on all of us. So it has nothing to do with daily Macro consumption, it's all about eating "late". To help me out further, what is the cutoff point for "late"? If late is 11 and you eat at 1030, does your body know the difference and you don't gain unwanted "fat"? Another question, what if you travel to Australia, does your body know it's late in Australia or is it still gaining "fat" because  your eating breakfast down under, but your body thinks you're in the USA.

Midnight. Haven't you ever seen Gremlins?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2017, 08:17:46 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I think the "Smart is fat" stuff was overblown. He's a thick-built guy, that's the way he'll always be. If you put a baggy jersey over that same image above you'll still have people calling him overweight just because that's his body.

But he does look like he's in terrific shape.

I agree fans love to rip on players who do not fit the typical NBA player body type. He has the build and frame to be an elite athlete in any sport not just basketball. We are just conditioned to seeing players who are 6'7 210 and this being the normal body type. In reality that is a very skinny man. Marcus has the frame to play linebacker in the NFL not many NBA players can say that. The Cs actually have a few player who could blend into the Patriots locker room this year.

With that said given the huge strength advantage Smart has over other teams guards he would be best served to avoid further bulk. This will help his quickness and long term health.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2017, 08:24:03 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

Didn't know 6'4" was two inches shorter than 6'4"... you learn something new every day.

predraft Wade measured 6' 3 3/4" with a 6'10 3/4 wingspan Marcus was 6'2 with a 6'9 1/4" wing. Not a huge difference but Wade is taller and longer. The biggest difference between the two as young players is that Wade was much more explosive and a better finisher. I do really like the way Marcus has developed as a post up guard and like everyone else think he is a consistent outside shot away from being really good just not hall of fame Wade good. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2017, 09:07:48 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I wish there was a good way to practice finishing at the rim. I think that's where he needs the most improvement.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2017, 09:27:18 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I wish there was a good way to practice finishing at the rim. I think that's where he needs the most improvement.

Hopefully the tighter bod will give him a little more lift going to the hoop (and a little more confidence as not to fall backwards/sideways on every attempt). He needs to take some notes out of Jaylen's book who has seemingly turned into a pretty elite finisher, even through contact, in a very short amount of time. I think it would be impossible to emulate IT's game.

As for Smart himself, I hope he either has a total break-out year or a pretty 'meh' year. I would very much like to keep him and I think these are the only two ways that happens.

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2017, 09:34:45 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

There are, with contact pads or pick and roll drills and things like that.  Hopefully he's putting in the work. 
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford